The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 27, 2018, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I remember that you said in a different thread that peer evaluation is useless because most people give their peers 9s and 10s. If the system is convoluted and antiquated, what alternative would you prefer that the SCBOA and SCHSL use?
Not to derail the thread, but since you asked.

The overarching problem in South Carolina is that the state office controls all the varsity assignments for football and basketball. The reason is simply because it has always been this way, and SC is a relatively small state (~200 high schools), so one central contact point isn't too burdensome (i.e. people don't see the reason to change). We have to have a way to rank the officials so the booking office has something to go by. Obviously this system is stupid and I don't need to give reasons. The ideal solution would be for district directors to control all assignments within their districts, not just subvarsity games/holiday tournaments, like is done in surrounding states. Then directors could structure their own evaluation system to recommend their postseason officials. This is extremely unlikely to happen while I am still officiating.

With respect to the peer ratings, yes, very few people take them seriously. This inevitably leads to the statewide exam being the sole differentiator among officials. Currently, the rating system is structured such that on-court ability has nothing to do with one's assignments (which obviously is insane). We have to attend a camp every three years for 5% of our points, and that's it. We need observers to evaluate officials, but there is pushback on this because of cost and paranoid officials worrying about the objectivity of evaluators. I am all for rules knowledge and rewarding officials for getting in the book (and not rewarding officials who refuse to study the rules), but the reality is that we have too many officials working games they shouldn't be working simply because they test the best. It's unfortunate but that is the way it is. Eventually the coaches will raise enough hell that it will have to change, but that has not happened yet.

We do not have "conferences" in SC that have the power to hire/fire their own assigner; we have "regions" within each of the five classifications (1A-5A) that are realigned by the SCHSL every two years, so a college-type system where officials can work for whomever will hire them will not happen here. Most of the private schools in SC compete in a separate league that has their own way of dealing with officiating, so that's an option and many good officials that struggle under the current structure in the SCHSL/SCBOA do very well in the private school league (SCISA).

Last edited by SC Official; Mon Aug 27, 2018 at 09:17am.
Old Mon Aug 27, 2018, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

peer ratings are a waste of time. You either get all 9's or 10's or all crappy scores. It's hardly accurate and depends on whether you partner "likes" you or not. They should be taken with a grain of salt. Coaches reviews are even more worthless.
Old Mon Aug 27, 2018, 11:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
peer ratings are a waste of time. You either get all 9's or 10's or all crappy scores. It's hardly accurate and depends on whether you partner "likes" you or not. They should be taken with a grain of salt. Coaches reviews are even more worthless.
I do not have an issue with a rating system, just take it for what it is worth. And in my state (Illinois) at least it is only one small factor amongst other things. Ratings are always going to be subjective and often flawed. We used to have a peer system involved with the coach's ratings, but a lot of officials would give high marks. Now I know I would rate what I felt about an official. And only Certified (the highest rank) officials were allowed to do those ratings.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 27, 2018, 02:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
All I could give a truly accurate rating on would be my partners' communication skills and hustle. I have enough to do on the court to be analyzing their mechanics, signals, positioning, and play-calling.

And I have worked with a bunch of officials who have no business trying to rate me.
Old Mon Aug 27, 2018, 03:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Varsity And Junior Varsity ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
... my partner ... I have enough to do on the court to be analyzing their mechanics, signals, positioning, and play-calling..
Agree. Before the most recent change in our rating system, all varsity officials would be required show up early to evaluate both junior varsity officials. Calmly observing the game from the bleachers for two, or three, periods was very conducive to a pretty accurate evaluation. As a retired teacher, who evaluated over three thousand students over the many years that I taught, I had no problems doing these evaluations.

Evaluating my varsity partner is another story, it's always been a problem for me. I've got more important things to do in a game other than observe my partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
... bunch of officials who have no business trying to rate me.
Before the most recent change in our rating system, junior varsity officials were required to stick around for at least two varsity periods and evaluate the varsity officials. Yeah. Sure. A guy with a few years of experience can accurately evaluate a guy with dozens of years of experience working a highly charged varsity game. Tell me another fairy tale. Sure, some of the junior varsity veterans had been to a lot of rodeos, and could possibly do a decent evaluation, but overall, most junior varsity officials, in regard to evaluation, are in way over their heads.

After recent changes, we only do partner evaluations on Arbiter and these don't carry much weight in the overall evaluation process (how accurate can evaluations be when two inexperienced subvarsity guys rate each other in a middle school game, or a freshman game). It's the trained observer evaluations that carry the most weight when comes to one's overall varsity, or subvarsity, status.

I believe that my local board is making a big mistake by not requiring evaluations (on something other than Arbiter, we once had our own locally produced software that could do this) of junior varsity officials by the varsity officials who are already at the site, as we did in the past. These evaluations by veteran varsity officials can be a great resource in a rating system.

On the other hand, one great thing about the recent change is that junior varsity officials no longer evaluate varsity officials. I could never understand such foolishness, and utter nonsense.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Aug 27, 2018 at 04:01pm.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2018, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SRQREF
Arbiter has an evaluation section. This requires the assigner to assign an evaluator to the game just like he/she assigns officials. Once the evaluator is assign, he/she will evaluate all the officials on the game and when the evaluations are complete the evaluations are:
1. Sent to the officials after completion.
2. Keep an electronic record of the evaluation within the Arbiter system.

Additionally, as an assigner I can review the following information regarding my evaluators:
1. Make sure my evaluators complete all the evaluations assigned
2. Review the average scores, individual scores completed by the evaluator
3. Compare evaluation scores between individual evaluators (make sure they are on the same page)
4. Evaluate the evaluators.

This is a very useful tool for official feedback and evaluator competency.

Verbal Judo First
I want you to be nice, until it's time to not be nice.