The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 28, 2018, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What kind of camps are you attending? I say that because having been to many camps over the year at the NCAA level where almost all the time we are using high school rules, I cannot recall many times if ever where there was a deep conversation over a rule. We might have an honest confusion on a mechanic or even a procedure of that mechanic, but not a rule in the game. Even when there has been a debate, we usually ask about the difference in we move on. But almost all camps I have been to the focus is on our calls, coverage, and teamwork, not a rule in a game.

Peace
HS camps seem to always be great as far as how clinicians act. They genuinely want to help, carry zero ego, etc. NCAA camps, to which I was mostly referring, are not that way. Sure, there will be a few really good clinicians who strive to help in any way possible. For the most part however, they are there putting their time in for their assignors, at times getting paid, projecting their egos, etc. lol. Then we get to watch them make mistakes on TV. Can't they just act like the regular people that they are? I digress. I recall vividly a blarge. One clinician had the rule incorrect, one had it correct, and a third kept instructing that he would override the non-primary official resulting in no double foul. Later, I actually witnessed this now-D1 official perform this action/call/procedure in an actual game. Pfft.
Old Mon May 28, 2018, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We all work for various bosses. Each one will have a slightly different philosophy.

I have my own philosophy on how I take plays, playcall, etc. There is no way I can sit down with 10 other clinicians and ensure that I am on the same hymn sheet as the rest of them.

Sometimes it's about showing that you're willing to try new things and are adaptable.
Sure and that is fair however, go ahead and say that then. Do not be the clinician that acts like it is his/her way or no way. Go ahead and tell campers that you may have a different philosophy on taking plays, etc. Do not just act as if the other clinicians are beneath you, wrong, etc. and that you must be right.
Old Mon May 28, 2018, 07:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Sure and that is fair however, go ahead and say that then. Do not be the clinician that acts like it is his/her way or no way. Go ahead and tell campers that you may have a different philosophy on taking plays, etc. Do not just act as if the other clinicians are beneath you, wrong, etc. and that you must be right.

I only teach at HS camps. I distinctly remember the people leading the camps saying that we're all going to be a little bit different and just try things out.

I also remember I got much better taking drives as an official because of some of this "off-label" advice I received at a camp I tried and found fit me well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Tue May 29, 2018, 08:35am

Thanks all! I truly appreciate it. I have been a clinician at my organizations camp for a couple of years now but this is my first opportunity at a national camp. I will keep in mind this thread!
Old Thu May 31, 2018, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
One thing I clinicians talked about more is how to handle situations that come up. Technical Foul situations, coach outbursts, player outbursts. I know that each official handles each situation differently, but hearing multiple ways to handle situations would have helped me out a lot early on in my officiating career. You can practice mechanics in a mirror, you can watch film on plays until you go blind, but you can't practice conflict resolution techniques when coaches/players lose their ish.