The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Setting Screen with Back (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103817-setting-screen-back.html)

champion Tue May 08, 2018 11:30am

Setting Screen with Back

I have run into this a couple of times in rec leagues the last couple of months. ...A2 sets a screen on B1 with his back to A2. A2 is stationary and does not "hip" the defender. I could not find anything in the rule book that reads illegal. In last nights Cavs/Raptors game George Hill was called for illegal screen when he did this. Anything in NFHS that makes this illegal?

bucky Tue May 08, 2018 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by champion (Post 1021418)
I have run into this a couple of times in rec leagues the last couple of months. ...A2 sets a screen on B1 with his back to A2. A2 is stationary and does not "hip" the defender. I could not find anything in the rule book that reads illegal. In last nights Cavs/Raptors game George Hill was called for illegal screen when he did this. Anything in NFHS that makes this illegal?

Sounds as if B1 could not see the screen. Ergo, A2 must allow B1 a step to avoid contact. If not, then there is an illegal screen. BTW, this type of illegal screen is rarely enforced...at any level.

Raymond Tue May 08, 2018 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by champion (Post 1021418)

Nothing differentiates the screening rules based on whether or not the SCREENER is facing his opponent.

todd66 Tue May 08, 2018 12:45pm

4-40 ART. 2

To establish a legal screening position:

a. The screener may face any direction.

b. Time and distance are relevant.

c. The screener must be stationary, except when both the screener and opponent are moving in the same path and the same direction.

d. The screener must stay within his/her vertical plane with a stance approximately shoulder width apart.

Camron Rust Tue May 08, 2018 01:40pm

Just to reinforce the correct information already provided...

Quote:

Originally Posted by todd66 (Post 1021422)
4-40 ART. 2

c. The screener must be stationary, except when both the screener and opponent are moving in the same path and the same direction.

d. The screener must stay within his/her vertical plane with a stance approximately shoulder width apart.

champion Tue May 08, 2018 01:55pm

Quote:

4-40 ART. 2

Thanks for the rules reference! I thought I might be missing something when I saw it called last night because I also had a partner who argued with me about it.

BillyMac Tue May 08, 2018 04:01pm

Time And Distance Are Relevant ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1021419)
Sounds as if B1 could not see the screen. Ergo, A2 must allow B1 a step to avoid contact. If not, then there is an illegal screen.

Quote:

Time and distance are relevant.

ART. 3 When screening a stationary opponent from the front or side (within
the visual field), the screener may be anywhere short of contact.

ART. 4 When screening a stationary opponent from behind (outside the
visual field), the screener must allow the opponent one normal step backward
without contact.

ART. 5 When screening a moving opponent, the screener must allow the
opponent time and distance to avoid contact by stopping or changing direction.
The speed of the player to be screened will determine where the screener may
take his/her stationary position. The position will vary and may be one to two
normal steps or strides from the opponent.

ART. 6 When screening an opponent who is moving in the same path and
direction as the screener, the player behind is responsible if contact is made
because the player in front slows up or stops and the player behind overruns
his/her opponent.

Jay R Tue May 08, 2018 05:37pm

In the Cavs Raptors game, the foul occurred at the 10:05 mark of the third. Hill stuck his butt out. That's what it made illegal.