The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 01, 2000, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Cool

On a fast break play, A1 has the ball dribbling towards the basket for a lay up shot being chase by B1, followed by A2 (about two steps behind B1). A1 thinking that B1 might block his shot, tossed the ball to the board, A2 got the ball in the air and dunked it or A2 after getting the ball landed on the floor and took the shot successfully.

Question: In FIBA Rules 1998-2002, is there any violation by A1 or A2? Kindly explain.

We will be very thankful to those who will share their knowledge of the rules or viewpoint.

Thanks,
bogref
Old Wed Nov 01, 2000, 11:27am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
It is not a violation if A2 catches the ball in the air unless the ball is on its downward flight towards the basket with a chance to go it - in that case it would be offensive goaltending.

Otherwise, it is a legal play for A2 to catch the ball and shoot either before or after returning to the floor.

A1 cannot toss the ball off the backboard to himself, of course.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2000, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by bogref_jed
On a fast break play, A1 has the ball dribbling towards the basket for a lay up shot being chase by B1, followed by A2 (about two steps behind B1). A1 thinking that B1 might block his shot, tossed the ball to the board, A2 got the ball in the air and dunked it or A2 after getting the ball landed on the floor and took the shot successfully.

Question: In FIBA Rules 1998-2002, is there any violation by A1 or A2? Kindly explain.

We will be very thankful to those who will share their knowledge of the rules or viewpoint.

Thanks,
bogref
By board you mean backboard, right?
I can't say for FIBA but if I understand your play there's
no violation under NF & NCAA for either play, assuming
we rule out BI for the first.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2000, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
To reiterate what Bradley is saying. If you deem that it was a ligit try, then legal play. If you think he was doing a slam dunk contest pass to himself, then it is traveling.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2000, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
To reiterate what Bradley is saying. If you deem that it was a ligit try, then legal play. If you think he was doing a slam dunk contest pass to himself, then it is traveling.
The original question did not have A1 recovering the ball after it hit the backboard. But, if A1 did recover the ball, I don't think it is traveling or a double dribble [Per NFHS Case Book 4.15.4C(c)].

I can't say what FIBA would rule.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2000, 03:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

For those of you unfamiliar with FEEBLE (FIBA) rules, let me explain. Obviously, it is a violation. You see, A1 was wearing a non-metric jersey number, so in addition to the violation, he is charged with a technical foul under rule 4837645287456832B, subsection 49274659272365R. Of course, since the FEEBLE rule book is printed only in Antartican, you may not catch this obscure rule.

A2 cannot catch the ball off the board inside the trapazoidal lane, because it is contrary to the natural laws of geometry, which state that all lanes must be rectangles (Pythagoras interp.)

B1, having a name that contains no vowels, is in violation of United Nations charter number 4, which states that no basketball player can have a name which is longer than what will fit on a standard size jersey.

Actually, the initial question is moot, because the Russian officials are going to give team A as many timeouts and extra chances they need until they score.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2000, 02:34am
Official Forum Member

Hey Mark not bad,

just explain to me why FIBA rules are used everywhere around the world except in the USA. and by the way what is the correct answer? Do you know or are NFHS and NCAA rules the only ones you are familiarize yourself with.?
'I AM CANADIAN'

Man i love this game!!!!

keep smiling
SH

ps. wasn't it a game director and not an official?? I can't remember i wasn't alive then.

[Edited by hoopsrefBC on Nov 3rd, 2000 at 01:37 AM]
Old Fri Nov 03, 2000, 02:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC
Hey Mark not bad,

just explain to me why FIBA rules are used everywhere around the world except in the USA.
It's because the rest of the world is jealous of the fact they copied an all-american game. We invented it, so we know what's best.

That must be why we have at least three different sets of rules we use (NF, NCAA, NBA)

Actually, that's not so bad when you realize France has over 120 different kinds of cheese. What's up with that?
Old Fri Nov 03, 2000, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC
Hey Mark not bad,

just explain to me why FIBA rules are used everywhere around the world except in the USA.
It's because the rest of the world is jealous of the fact they copied an all-american game. We invented it, so we know what's best.

That must be why we have at least three different sets of rules we use (NF, NCAA, NBA)

Actually, that's not so bad when you realize France has over 120 different kinds of cheese. What's up with that?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Lets be clear about one thing. The Game of Basketball was invented by James Naismith a CANADIAN!(born in Almonte, Ontario), i will grant you that the first game of basketball was played at the School for Christian Workers(YMCA) in Springfield, MASS.

CHEESE?, this is a basketball board isn't it?

SH
keep smiling
Old Fri Nov 03, 2000, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Is this friday or what? Mark, May you work with Dave this weekend.