The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Duke/Kansas Block ? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103727-duke-kansas-block.html)

rbruno Mon Mar 26, 2018 07:23pm

Duke/Kansas Block ?

What do you guys have?
Can you make the case that the defender didn’t get his torso square
for “initial” LGP. Then moved slightly after the shooter left his feet
hence the block call. Been asking most of my ref friends and
it’s been unanimous that it should have been a charge.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Mar 26, 2018 08:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbruno (Post 1019871)
What do you guys have?
Can you make the case that the defender didn’t get his torso square
for “initial” LGP. Then moved slightly after the shooter left his feet
hence the block call. Been asking most of my ref friends and
it’s been unanimous that it should have been a charge.

1) I am a life long KU fan (my beloved mother, Class of 1942).

2) The B1 Established a LGP. Any movement by B1 was within his Cylinder of Verticality. Therefore, a Charge by A1.

MTD, Sr.

AremRed Mon Mar 26, 2018 09:28pm

Pretty easy charge IMO. I think the calling official leaned block because of the score.

Paintguru Tue Mar 27, 2018 07:09am

Bang-bang play, but PCF in my mind.

LRZ Tue Mar 27, 2018 07:22am

"I think the calling official leaned block because of the score."

I don't follow. What do you mean, AR?

crosscountry55 Tue Mar 27, 2018 07:57am

I guess I’m in the minority, but I’m still saying block. I had the defender, specifically his left shoulder, leaning toward and into the ball handler’s path. I think the defender sought out the contact where it occurred.

That said, I haven’t watched the play since I DVR’d it on Sunday night. Maybe I don’t remember it as well as I think I do.

Roger Ayers advanced. I think maybe JD Collins thought it was a block, too. [emoji6] Actually that whole crew advanced, didn’t they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raymond Tue Mar 27, 2018 08:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1019886)
I guess I’m in the minority, but I’m still saying block. I had the defender, specifically his left shoulder, leaning toward and into the ball handler’s path. I think the defender sought out the contact where it occurred.

That said, I haven’t watched the play since I DVR’d it on Sunday night. Maybe I don’t remember it as well as I think I do.

Roger Ayers advanced. I think maybe JD Collins thought it was a block, too. [emoji6] Actually that whole crew advanced, didn’t they?

I'm more concerned with the lack of foul calls on two Kansas OOB plays and the inconsistent enforcement of traveling on 2 similar plays.

Raymond Tue Mar 27, 2018 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1019883)
"I think the calling official leaned block because of the score."

I don't follow. What do you mean, AR?

Kansas was down at the time. Kansas had been at a foul count disadvantage. Kansas had 2 plays that should have been fouls on Duke that didn't go their way.

Or maybe Roger just missed it.

#olderthanilook Tue Mar 27, 2018 08:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1019894)
Kansas was down at the time. Kansas had been at a foul count disadvantage. Kansas had 2 plays that should have been fouls on Duke that didn't go their way.

I think there is merit to the logic behind going with the block at that point of the game IF the play were a "50/50".

This play, even in real time, was not a 50/50, IMHO.

Randa16 Wed Mar 28, 2018 09:50am

I think the call could have went either way and my first reaction was charge. I have to say it was one of the worst called games I have ever seen. Several no calls and anticipate calls.

RedAndWhiteRef Wed Mar 28, 2018 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1019894)

Can you truly "miss" a play like this in real time? The way I see it, whatever call you make is going to piss off half the gym no matter what, regardless of right or wrong.

You can slow it down and break it down on film till the cows come home, but the guys on the court don't have that luxury. IMO in this situation you just have to pick one. Elite Eight, final minutes, everything on the line--just pick one and sell it. That's what Roger did here and I don't have a problem with it.

You could definitely convince me it was a charge though.

JRutledge Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:13am

Here is the play (Video)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wy_pV7Q2bMA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Zoochy Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:45am

I tried to view the video. It states it is blocked:(

jeremy341a Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:05am

Player Control and not really that close. Thought so live and on replay.

crosscountry55 Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randa16 (Post 1019970)
I think the call could have went either way and my first reaction was charge. I have to say it was one of the worst called games I have ever seen. Several no calls and anticipate calls.

Right. And that’s why all three officials advanced to the Final Four, when no other regional final crew did so.

Gimme a break, fanboy with 28 posts in four years.