The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Request: Kentucky vs. Kansas State (Sweet Sixteen) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103717-video-request-kentucky-vs-kansas-state-sweet-sixteen.html)

JRutledge Fri Mar 23, 2018 05:03pm

PC Foul call

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g5UW_FB3n0I" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

AremRed Fri Mar 23, 2018 05:54pm

Signal is only confusing to announcers because they are looking through video screens/at floor level and can't see way over there. Calipari doesn't seem to misunderstand.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 23, 2018 06:20pm

It was the right call, but I thought the signal was confusing too. It is too close to what many use for counting the bucket. I expected a charge call, then it looked like he counted the bucket.

Altor Fri Mar 23, 2018 09:34pm

From the cheap seats of the camera, it sure looked like "bucket's good." But he must have said something too because every player looking at him immediately knew what the call was.

Raymond Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:13am

I'm seeing absolutely nothing confusing about his signal. In fact, he did it properly I stopping the clock with a fist, and then he punchef other direction with a fist.

I've seen that signal a thousand times. Maybe people are confused cuz too many officials are incorrectly counting a basket by coming down with a closed fist.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Camron Rust Sun Mar 25, 2018 05:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1019658)
I'm seeing absolutely nothing confusing about his signal. In fact, he did it properly I stopping the clock with a fist, and then he punchef other direction with a fist.

I've seen that signal a thousand times. Maybe people are confused cuz too many officials are incorrectly counting a basket by coming down with a closed fist.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It is more the motion than the fist. His motion was a LOT more like the motion of counting the bucket than punching a charge.

And as for the fist, where does it say exactly how the hand should be?

Altor Sun Mar 25, 2018 06:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1019760)
His motion was a LOT more like the motion of counting the bucket than punching a charge.

To be specific, the motion seemed to come across his body rather than be a punch toward the other end.

Rich Sun Mar 25, 2018 06:21pm

A few years ago I made a call that got confused as a charge when I was actually counting the basket.

Since then, it's two fingers down and a lot less emphasis. No point to banging it home like a madman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kansas Ref Sun Mar 25, 2018 08:15pm

Ive seen a ref in our area perform this sequence of motions and he looked like a clown to everyone at the game, many players from both teams rolled their eyes in utter disgust and I was embarrased by it: 1. normal fist up and whistle movements upon contact on shooter but, then 2. a punch and another whistle when the try was successful, then 3. while hopping on one foot another whislting yet a third time. I asked why he did that, it's not needed, hes said I' have been officiating for 25 years its how its done, you gotta sell it''.

bucky Sun Mar 25, 2018 08:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1019760)
And as for the fist, where does it say exactly how the hand should be?

The hand is depicted in the rule book in the signals chart. Not sure how to describe it but it is not a fist, lol.

Camron Rust Sun Mar 25, 2018 09:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019790)
The hand is depicted in the rule book in the signals chart. Not sure how to describe it but it is not a fist, lol.

I am aware of that. I don't think I know anyone who's signal looks like that.

Rich Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1019797)
I am aware of that. I don't think I know anyone who's signal looks like that.

The dainty hands on the hips for a block would elicit the same reaction with me as someone using this "score the goal" signal.

Raymond Mon Mar 26, 2018 07:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1019798)
The dainty hands on the hips for a block would elicit the same reaction with me as someone using this "score the goal" signal.

Yeah, I don't like either of those signals. Sometimes I'll do the hands-on-the-hip thing depending on my audience. I never do that basket-scored signal. I go with 2 fingers straight out.

BillyMac Mon Mar 26, 2018 03:45pm

Of Course, I'm Also Wrong Half Of The Time ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1019805)
Sometimes I'll do the hands-on-the-hip thing depending on my audience.

Bad habit, but I almost always give a preliminary signal for a block with my fists closed on my hips. By the time I get to the table I remember to do it the correct way with open hands. At least I'm right half of the time.

bucky Tue Mar 27, 2018 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1019859)
Bad habit, but I almost always give a preliminary signal for a block with my fists closed on my hips. By the time I get to the table I remember to do it the correct way with open hands. At least I'm right half of the time.

Does that mean at most you are wrong half the time?:p