The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Request: Kentucky vs. Kansas State (Sweet Sixteen) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103717-video-request-kentucky-vs-kansas-state-sweet-sixteen.html)

crosscountry55 Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:41pm

Video Request: Kentucky vs. Kansas State (Sweet Sixteen)

Feel free to merge into a General Sweet 16 video thread if one is created.

CBS probably won’t release this, but worth a discussion if anyone can find it. 14:25 2nd half:

1. Block/Charge call goes PC against KY. Thoughts about the call and the L’s signaling mechanics?

2. KY gets tagged with a Class B tech of some sort. Announcers seem to think they whacked Calipari for being out of the box. Maybe that’s true (is that a Class B these days?), but the still frame CBS showed had him outside the old 28-ft box but clearly inside the new 38-ft box. Did the officials mess this up, did the still frame CBS showed not capture the right moment, or was the T for something altogether different than what the announcers thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Multiple Sports Fri Mar 23, 2018 01:17am

Just put the whole game up there...that was a tough game to work.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Mar 23, 2018 01:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1019566)
Feel free to merge into a General Sweet 16 video thread if one is created.

CBS probably won’t release this, but worth a discussion if anyone can find it. 14:25 2nd half:

1. Block/Charge call goes PC against KY. Thoughts about the call and the L’s signaling mechanics?

2. KY gets tagged with a Class B tech of some sort. Announcers seem to think they whacked Calipari for being out of the box. Maybe that’s true (is that a Class B these days?), but the still frame CBS showed had him outside the old 28-ft box but clearly inside the new 38-ft box. Did the officials mess this up, did the still frame CBS showed not capture the right moment, or was the T for something altogether different than what the announcers thought?

I do not know about the TF, but the PCF was a good one.

MTD, Sr.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 23, 2018 02:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 1019571)

I don't think it was as tough as they made it. I think, in several cases, they called stuff that just wasn't there (both ways), at least in comparison to how most games have been called this year.

Multiple Sports Fri Mar 23, 2018 04:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1019573)
I don't think it was as tough as they made it. I think, in several cases, they called stuff that just wasn't there (both ways), at least in comparison to how most games have been called this year.

I agree with the last half of your statement but that being said, I challenge you to watch the game off the ball. KSU
causes you to make decisions. Hands on cutters, screeners moving, etc. I thought the post was clean. We may just have to agree to disagree....

crosscountry55 Fri Mar 23, 2018 05:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 1019571)

I tend to agree. KY’s MO is to take it inside and get to the FT line. It worked, but KY also had some sloppy post play and they made some silly ball handling mistakes on offense due to their aforementioned game plan. All of this made for a very busy night for the crew.

Camron said he thought there were phantom calls on both sides. To be honest I agree with him. You could write a book about the evolution of the officiating in this game. It would be a great case study. I’ll bet the crew had a great pre-game, anticipated the physical play, and agreed to clean it up early. I think they probably went a little too far and got some stuff that just wasn’t there on both ends. I’m sure they had a feel for this as the game went on. So paradoxically in both halves—but especially the second—they started passing on some stuff that really needed to be called IMHO. When everyone has four fouls with six minutes left in a close game, that’s what tends to happen. Likewise when you realize both teams are in double bonus with eight minutes left in the first half.

I am not being critical of the crew at all. I thought they worked really hard and had the best intentions in mind with how they thought that game should be officiated. But I also believe that as a crew they would approach it differently if given another chance. This is why I’d argue the whole game is a fantastic case study.

Kansas Ref Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:37am

I agree, the entire game could be used as a 'case study' for how a crew can anticipate that a certain style of play will occur and then officiate to that expectation--[i.e., preconceived notions].
I was confused momentarily on that block/charge call that you cited: After the made basket by the Kentucky player, the L gave a signal of a " closed fist that was accompanied by a horizontal back-n-forth motion with his arm".
Was that not typically the "signal'' used by many refs to indicate that the basket was 'good' and we're shooting 1 FT? That event did give me a moment of pause because I was looking for the classical PC signal: with "palm behind head" and followed by a "directionality" indicator. When I [and ostensibly the announcers] did not see this classical sequence of signals, then it did cause momentary confusion to both players, headcoaches, and viewers. Just sayin...

And this one final comment before I step down from my soapbox: I Hated it on the Loyahla Chicago vs Nevada game, when at about the 1.8second point the Loyola player recv'd the pass, turned and then got collided on by the Nev player. Then the announcers--after reviewing multiple replays ins super slo-mo come and say: "ohhhh the refs missed a clear and obvious travel violation". As if they could've done better..sheesh! I never was a fan of chris webber anyway

Rich Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 1019593)
I agree, the entire game could be used as a 'case study' for how a crew can anticipate that a certain style of play will occur and then officiate to that expectation--[i.e., preconceived notions].
I was confused momentarily on that block/charge call that you cited: After the made basket by the Kentucky player, the L gave a signal of a " closed fist that was accompanied by a horizontal back-n-forth motion with his arm".
Was that not typically the "signal'' used by many refs to indicate that the basket was 'good' and we're shooting 1 FT? That event did give me a moment of pause because I was looking for the classical PC signal: with "palm behind head" and followed by a "directionality" indicator. When I [and ostensibly the announcers] did not see this classical sequence of signals, then it did cause momentary confusion to both players, headcoaches, and viewers. Just sayin...

And this one final comment before I step down from my soapbox: I Hated it on the Loyahla Chicago vs Nevada game, when at about the 1.8second point the Loyola player recv'd the pass, turned and then got collided on by the Nev player. Then the announcers--after reviewing multiple replays ins super slo-mo come and say: "ohhhh the refs missed a clear and obvious travel violation". As if they could've done better..sheesh! I never was a fan of chris webber anyway

I was in a bar half paying attention and immediately said "travel" when that happened.

I contend that a HS official sees that more -- the catch/turn/surprise/travel -- than those top D1 guys do.

Kansas Ref Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1019594)
I was in a bar half paying attention and immediately said "travel" when that happened.

I contend that a HS official sees that more -- the catch/turn/surprise/travel -- than those top D1 guys do.

I like how you phrased the capturing of the event you wrote: "catch/turn/surprise/travel". Yes I have seen this in my NF games, now I have a way of phrasing it to inquisitors. Thanks!
So I gather from the context of your remark that top level D1 refs do not see this "catch/turn/surprise/travel" as much as an NF ref would see it; therefore, it makes them less prone to recognize/identify & call this violation. I am solely an NF level ref (and honestly have no desire to be anything but an NF level ref), so I don't have a reference point for upper level collegiate reffing, but nevertheless the gall of announcer to say and pile-on about "missing an obvious travel" disturbed me. Just sayin....

crosscountry55 Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 1019593)
I was confused momentarily on that block/charge call that you cited: After the made basket by the Kentucky player, the L gave a signal of a " closed fist that was accompanied by a horizontal back-n-forth motion with his arm". Was that not typically the "signal'' used by many refs to indicate that the basket was 'good' and we're shooting 1 FT? That event did give me a moment of pause because I was looking for the classical PC signal: with "palm behind head" and followed by a "directionality" indicator. When I [and ostensibly the announcers] did not see this classical sequence of signals, then it did cause momentary confusion to both players, headcoaches, and viewers. Just sayin...

I had the same confusion you did and that's why I brought it up. During the middle of the season here, our association put out some observations, and one of them was that in our individual efforts to apply some style to our signals, some of our "and-one" signals could be confused for a punch going the other way. In this example, it was the exact opposite. The "punch" was kind of restrained, and came down a little more like Thor's hammer. I really thought that L was counting the basket (so did everyone else....part of the reason Calipari had a minor meltdown right there, although I think that it was more because he disagreed with the call). I thought L should have punched a little more definitively, or if not, then he probably needs to add the palm behind the head. The palm behind head is indeed an approved signal, but truthfully its use has declined in the era of the stylistic punch. I don't often use it at the spot of a PCF, but I do when I report to the table.

By the way, FWIW, I thought it was a block. I don't think it was all that close, either.....I'd call it 70/30. I think the defender had two feet down just in the nick of time, but the rest of his body was still moving toward the shooter at the point of contact. I even thought this was somewhat purposeful on the part of the defender. My humble opinion.

crosscountry55 Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1019594)

I was sober in my living room and didn't see it from the long angle view in real time. I can understand missing this when everyone and their brother knows what the defense is trying to do. Look for foul. See foul. Call foul as quickly as possible. Any travel short of dramatic and obvious in that situation probably isn't going to get noticed. Not to mention the gumption needed to make that call. If you're wrong, the consequences are astronomical and career-defining.

That said, it probably wouldn't hurt me to add "catch/turn/surprise/travel" to my vernacular. That's not a bad way to frame plays like that. I like it!

Rich Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1019599)
I was sober in my living room and didn't see it from the long angle view in real time. I can understand missing this when everyone and their brother knows what the defense is trying to do. Look for foul. See foul. Call foul as quickly as possible. Any travel short of dramatic and obvious in that situation probably isn't going to get noticed. Not to mention the gumption needed to make that call. If you're wrong, the consequences are astronomical and career-defining.

That said, it probably wouldn't hurt me to add "catch/turn/surprise/travel" to my vernacular. That's not a bad way to frame plays like that. I like it!

Maybe I'm in tune with this cause I see it get missed often -- live and on film. The defender is punished for "being there" -- and since there's no time/distance factor when it comes to a player with the ball, I hate seeing someone get punished for playing smart defense.

Raymond Fri Mar 23, 2018 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 1019596)
I like how you phrased the capturing of the event you wrote: "catch/turn/surprise/travel". Yes I have seen this in my NF games, now I have a way of phrasing it to inquisitors. Thanks!
So I gather from the context of your remark that top level D1 refs do not see this "catch/turn/surprise/travel" as much as an NF ref would see it; therefore, it makes them less prone to recognize/identify & call this violation. I am solely an NF level ref (and honestly have no desire to be anything but an NF level ref), so I don't have a reference point for upper level collegiate reffing, but nevertheless the gall of announcer to say and pile-on about "missing an obvious travel" disturbed me. Just sayin....

It was an obvious travel, without the slow motion replay.

The very final play of the game was a great execution of a jump stop to avoid being fouled.

In the KSU game, in the last 4 minutes, the KSU PG executed a legal jump stop, but then was allowed to pivot and kick the ball out for a big 3 point shot.

ODog Fri Mar 23, 2018 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1019609)
It was an obvious travel, without the slow motion replay.

In the KSU game, in the last 4 minutes, the KSU PG executed a legal jump stop, but then was allowed to pivot and kick the ball out for a big 3 point shot.

On point one, absolutely agree. Like a previous poster said, even live I said "Uh oh, he traveled." Ohhhhh the irony, however, that Chris Webber -- beneficiary of one of the most infamous missed travel calls in history -- chose to pile on there.

As for point #2, I think this has gone the way of the spin move. It's a clear travel 99 percent of the time, but it's an accepted part of the game now and nobody (including yours truly) calls it anymore.

Raymond Fri Mar 23, 2018 03:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 1019614)

As for point #2, I think this has gone the way of the spin move. It's a clear travel 99 percent of the time, but it's an accepted part of the game now and nobody (including yours truly) calls it anymore.

That's one we cannot allow. I let the illegal spin go sometimes when it is really fast. But a jump stop followed by a pivot, that's a clear and obvious travel that I call when I see it.

JRutledge Fri Mar 23, 2018 05:03pm

PC Foul call

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g5UW_FB3n0I" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

AremRed Fri Mar 23, 2018 05:54pm

Signal is only confusing to announcers because they are looking through video screens/at floor level and can't see way over there. Calipari doesn't seem to misunderstand.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 23, 2018 06:20pm

It was the right call, but I thought the signal was confusing too. It is too close to what many use for counting the bucket. I expected a charge call, then it looked like he counted the bucket.

Altor Fri Mar 23, 2018 09:34pm

From the cheap seats of the camera, it sure looked like "bucket's good." But he must have said something too because every player looking at him immediately knew what the call was.

Raymond Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:13am

I'm seeing absolutely nothing confusing about his signal. In fact, he did it properly I stopping the clock with a fist, and then he punchef other direction with a fist.

I've seen that signal a thousand times. Maybe people are confused cuz too many officials are incorrectly counting a basket by coming down with a closed fist.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Camron Rust Sun Mar 25, 2018 05:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1019658)
I'm seeing absolutely nothing confusing about his signal. In fact, he did it properly I stopping the clock with a fist, and then he punchef other direction with a fist.

I've seen that signal a thousand times. Maybe people are confused cuz too many officials are incorrectly counting a basket by coming down with a closed fist.

It is more the motion than the fist. His motion was a LOT more like the motion of counting the bucket than punching a charge.

And as for the fist, where does it say exactly how the hand should be?

Altor Sun Mar 25, 2018 06:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1019760)
His motion was a LOT more like the motion of counting the bucket than punching a charge.

To be specific, the motion seemed to come across his body rather than be a punch toward the other end.

Rich Sun Mar 25, 2018 06:21pm

A few years ago I made a call that got confused as a charge when I was actually counting the basket.

Since then, it's two fingers down and a lot less emphasis. No point to banging it home like a madman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kansas Ref Sun Mar 25, 2018 08:15pm

Ive seen a ref in our area perform this sequence of motions and he looked like a clown to everyone at the game, many players from both teams rolled their eyes in utter disgust and I was embarrased by it: 1. normal fist up and whistle movements upon contact on shooter but, then 2. a punch and another whistle when the try was successful, then 3. while hopping on one foot another whislting yet a third time. I asked why he did that, it's not needed, hes said I' have been officiating for 25 years its how its done, you gotta sell it''.

bucky Sun Mar 25, 2018 08:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1019760)
And as for the fist, where does it say exactly how the hand should be?

The hand is depicted in the rule book in the signals chart. Not sure how to describe it but it is not a fist, lol.

Camron Rust Sun Mar 25, 2018 09:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019790)
The hand is depicted in the rule book in the signals chart. Not sure how to describe it but it is not a fist, lol.

I am aware of that. I don't think I know anyone who's signal looks like that.

Rich Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1019797)
I am aware of that. I don't think I know anyone who's signal looks like that.

The dainty hands on the hips for a block would elicit the same reaction with me as someone using this "score the goal" signal.

Raymond Mon Mar 26, 2018 07:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1019798)
The dainty hands on the hips for a block would elicit the same reaction with me as someone using this "score the goal" signal.

Yeah, I don't like either of those signals. Sometimes I'll do the hands-on-the-hip thing depending on my audience. I never do that basket-scored signal. I go with 2 fingers straight out.

BillyMac Mon Mar 26, 2018 03:45pm

Of Course, I'm Also Wrong Half Of The Time ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1019805)
Sometimes I'll do the hands-on-the-hip thing depending on my audience.

Bad habit, but I almost always give a preliminary signal for a block with my fists closed on my hips. By the time I get to the table I remember to do it the correct way with open hands. At least I'm right half of the time.

bucky Tue Mar 27, 2018 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1019859)
Bad habit, but I almost always give a preliminary signal for a block with my fists closed on my hips. By the time I get to the table I remember to do it the correct way with open hands. At least I'm right half of the time.

Does that mean at most you are wrong half the time?:p

JRutledge Tue Mar 27, 2018 09:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019896)
Does that mean at most you are wrong half the time?:p

It means no self-respecting supervisor gives a damn. I have never heard anyone complain what hand signal is given when using a preliminary signal in over 20 years.

Peace

bucky Tue Mar 27, 2018 09:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1019898)
It means no self-respecting supervisor gives a damn. I have never heard anyone complain what hand signal is given when using a preliminary signal in over 20 years.

Peace

Yea, I know what it means. Ergo, the emoticon (:p) used. I was simply teasing....and trying to catch BM with regards to number of posts.

IncorrectCall Tue Mar 27, 2018 09:40am

Quote:

Peace

And if they do, they care about the wrong things.

JRutledge Tue Mar 27, 2018 09:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019900)
Yea, I know what it means. Ergo, the emoticon (:p) used. I was simply teasing....and trying to catch BM with regards to number of posts.

And I was simply telling the straight truth. ;)

Peace

BillyMac Tue Mar 27, 2018 04:32pm

Promotion ...

Quote:

It means no self-respecting supervisor gives a damn. I have never heard anyone complain what hand signal is given when using a preliminary signal in over 20 years

Our assignment commissioner definitely doesn't, but our trained observers, who observe for the purpose of promotion (subvarsity to varsity), certainly do.

Of course, correct hand signals do not, alone, make a good basketball official. There are a lot of other things, most a lot more important than hand signals, that our trained observers look for.

Correct hand signals are just one very small piece of the puzzle.

RATINGS GUIDELINES FOR EVALUATION

APPEARANCE AND CONDITIONING
Official is in physical condition and exhibits hustle and energy through the game.
Official’s uniform and overall appearance is neat, clean and well kept.

MECHANICS
Utilizes proper mechanics, up-to-date techniques and procedures as detailed in the IAABO Officials Manual.
Performs accurate foul reporting and clock administration.
Has a resonant, strong voice that is supported by proper mechanics for purpose of clarification

TEAM WORK
Has the ability to work effectively as a “team” with his/her fellow official.
Arrives on time; actively participate in the pre-game.
Actively participate in the post-game.
Accepts criticism.
Shares the responsibility and avoids attempts to shift the blame.

JUDGEMENT
Presents a thorough knowledge of the rules of basketball.
Uses unbiased judgment and common sense in applying the rules of the game.
Appears to make his/her decision with consideration to the effect the calling, or equally as important,
the not calling of a rule violation will have.
Is consistent in all calls regardless of situation or point of time in the game. For example, consistency
in the determination of a block vs. a charge.
Reacts quickly enough to make a decision at the moment of its occurrence.
Makes quick and positive decisions, especially with respect to the “close ones”.

GAME MANAGEMENT
Demonstrates control of the game. Leadership, able to run the game
Communicates with coaches, partners and table.
Is courteous and polite
Exhibits a confident manner i.e. attention to detail, alertness, firmness, and timeliness of his/her
reaction to a situation.
Remains consistent when calling violations or fouls without regard to the score, whom it may hurt,
or how it may effect future relations with the coach. Has a quiet influence on the game that relieves
tensions and creates a steady effect upon contestants (both players and coaches alike).
Has control of his/her emotions.
Takes the time to prevent an error from being made

JRutledge Tue Mar 27, 2018 05:06pm

Billy,

I get it and did not need all of that to state what you guys do. But my point is that there is a lot of lip service to what mechanics should look like, but when it comes down to it, they are not going crazy if someone is not "perfect." I have yet to see anyone in years do a player-control foul perfectly.

Peace

Rich Tue Mar 27, 2018 05:08pm

Marking someone down for giving an incorrect blocking signal means they are using that as an excuse, nothing more.

BillyMac Tue Mar 27, 2018 05:17pm

Player Control Foul Signal ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1019938)
.. when it comes down to it, they are not going crazy if someone is not "perfect." I have yet to see anyone in years do a player-control foul perfectly.

Agree on your "crazy", "perfect" statement.

Agree on your player control foul signal statement.

Why is it that the player control foul signal is the one that seems to have the most variations? It happened when we were using NFHS mechanics and signals, and it's still happening now that we use IAABO mechanics and signals. It happened when old time veterans were using "seat of the pants" mechanics and signals back when I first started, and it's happening now (after the grizzled veterans have retired, or passed away) with the brand new guys.

Rich Tue Mar 27, 2018 05:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1019940)
Agree on your "crazy" part.

Agree on your player control foul signal statement. Why is it that the player control foul signal is the one that seems to have the most variations?

Cause the book variant looks weak and indecisive?

BillyMac Tue Mar 27, 2018 05:55pm

Punch ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1019941)
Cause the book variant looks weak and indecisive?

I can't disagree with you regarding the behind the head signal.

We've got more than just a few guys who use the team control foul "punch" for a player control foul (especially as a preliminary signal). It certainly looks strong and decisive (certainly stronger and more decisive than the behind the head signal).

Why don't the powers that be (NFHS or IAABO) change to this signal? I know the definitions of a player control foul and a team control foul are not 100% exactly the same (airborne shooter), but that can't be the only reason why we keep the antiquated behind the head signal.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. was using the behind the head signal when there were peach baskets, and laced basket balls (two words).

Rich Tue Mar 27, 2018 06:23pm

I still remember the book signal as taught to me 30+ years ago.

Fist up to stop clock. Same hand behind head. Same hand pointing towards the opponent goal. 1-2-3.

I have never done it once in a game.

crosscountry55 Tue Mar 27, 2018 06:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1019939)
Marking someone down for giving an incorrect blocking signal means they are using that as an excuse, nothing more.

Well how else are you supposed to engineer your staff roster the way you want it to look?

I suppose you could also apply a controversial and legally tenuous residency requirement. Wait.....I’m being told.....

Rich Tue Mar 27, 2018 07:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1019946)
Well how else are you supposed to engineer your staff roster the way you want it to look?

I suppose you could also apply a controversial and legally tenuous residency requirement. Wait.....I’m being told.....

I've been through some weird things in 31 years. I've been in my current location for 16 of them now, but I hit 5 states in less than 10 years and it's amazing the gyrations some groups will go through to protect their own.

As someone who hires for schools, I don't care if an official moves into my area tomorrow. I want people who can work, nothing more. And I've found that some officials who have gotten some big time assignments (even state finals) aren't people I want working for me.

BillyMac Tue Mar 27, 2018 07:18pm

Moving On Up ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1019947)
... I don't care if an official moves into my area tomorrow. I want people who can work, nothing more.

That's why, here in my little corner of Connecticut, we've moved from years of experience as a requirement to move up to varsity assignments, to observations, observations that can be done during preseason scrimmages, to properly assign an official who has moved into our area, to a varsity schedule, if he's skilled enough. If he has an IAABO background, he doesn't even have to be observed, he just keeps the status he had with his previous IAABO board.

BillyMac Tue Mar 27, 2018 07:20pm

"Player Control" ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1019944)
Fist up to stop clock. Same hand behind head. Same hand pointing towards the opponent goal.

Were you taught to verbalize, "Charge", or "Player control"?

crosscountry55 Tue Mar 27, 2018 07:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1019949)
That's why, here in my little corner of Connecticut, we've moved from years of experience as a requirement to move up to varsity assignments, to observations, observations that can be done during preseason scrimmages, to properly assign an official who has moved into our area, to a varsity schedule, if he's skilled enough. If he has an IAABO background, he doesn't even have to be observed, he just keeps the status he had with his previous IAABO board.

I moved to Wisconsin and gave an assigner a link to a YouTube channel that featured a game I worked the previous year. That was enough to get a 25-game varsity schedule my first season.

Beat that, IAABO people.

BM, I admire your local board’s efforts to be more welcoming, but until you drop the grade sheets and become more subjective, my guess is that new guys will continue to be on the outside looking in with respect to their schedules. How many college evaluators do you see at camps with grade sheets? They know who can work just by watching them for five minutes.

Protectionism is why I’m probably not going to work while I live in Rhode Island next year. Cutting through the red tape in places where it’s thick is exhausting.

BillyMac Wed Mar 28, 2018 04:31pm

Thumbs Up, Or Thumbs Down ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1019953)
I admire your local board’s efforts to be more welcoming, but until you drop the grade sheets and become more subjective, my guess is that new guys will continue to be on the outside looking in with respect to their schedules.

Almost all of our 300 plus officials, veterans, rookies, varsity, junior varsity, freshman, middle school, are observed two, or three, times a season by trained observers (twenty-plus experienced guys, and gals, who have served on our board's training committees, and who have been selected as state tournament officials), who write a short report regarding appearance and conditioning, mechanics, team work, judgment, and game management. Feedback is given if asked for.

All of us use Arbiter to rate our partners, on the same qualities stated above. Anonymous ratings numbers (and averages), and comments (if made) can be viewed on Arbiter by officials a few times each season (Arbiter is "opened up").

At the end of the season the observation team gets together, and discusses each official. While peer ratings might be utilized, the observations by the trained team members are given the most (by far) weight. By the end of the meeting, each official is determined to be varsity eligible, or subvarsity eligible.

We've been doing it this way for about three years, or so (after using a strictly numerical system involving exams, meetings attended, years of experience, peer ratings, availability, etc., for over thirty years), and we all seem to like the new system, that is, I haven't heard any complaints, not a single one.

Observation team members that observe on their off nights get a discount on their annual dues. Most observations are made at game assignments (varsity partner and subvarsity officials). Our assistant assignment commissioner, who gets a stipend ($3,000, he also assigns preseason scrimmages, and Special Olympics tournaments), coordinates all the observations.

ilyazhito Sat Apr 07, 2018 07:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1019942)
I can't disagree with you regarding the behind the head signal.

We've got more than just a few guys who use the team control foul "punch" for a player control foul (especially as a preliminary signal). It certainly looks strong and decisive (certainly stronger and more decisive than the behind the head signal).

Why don't the powers that be (NFHS or IAABO) change to this signal? I know the definitions of a player control foul and a team control foul are not 100% exactly the same (airborne shooter), but that can't be the only reason why we keep the antiquated behind the head signal.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. was using the behind the head signal when there were peach baskets, and laced basket balls (two words).

For my player control foul signal, I stop the clock with a raised fist in the direction that play came from, I put the other hand behind my head, and I punch forward with the hand that stopped the clock. While I do this, I slide forward with the foot on the same side as the hand that punches forward. Thus, I combine the book signal with the punch used for a team control foul and the direction that play will go. I also say "player control (foul)", and will give a supplementary signal if needed (player with the ball wards off an opponent). For my "score the goal" signal, I use a fist (or open hand, if the shot in question is a last second shot), drop the hand to about waist level, and show the appropriate number of fingers (or the number of fingers followed by the three point attempt made signal, if a three-point shot). I do not use the downward punch for the "score the goal" signal.

BillyMac Sun Apr 08, 2018 07:18am

Charge ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1020552)
... say "player control" ...

I also state "Player control", one of the few who does so, most others state, "Charge" (even for the rare player control foul that is not a charge, for example a one hand push).

Rich Sun Apr 08, 2018 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1020555)
I also state "Player control", one of the few who does so, most others state, "Charge" (even for the rare player control foul that is not a charge, for example a one hand push).

I don't think I say ANYTHING. Punch it and report it.

SC Official Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1020556)

Agreed. Sometimes I think officials try and say too much. I let my signals do most of my talking. To each his own, I guess.

And I also punch on PC fouls at the spot and give the "hand behind the head" at the table. I would never give that weak signal as my prelim.

ilyazhito Sun Apr 08, 2018 04:00pm

Quote:

Unless your state uses a different standard for high school games, such as GA using women's college mechanics, the NFHS mechanics manual requires officials to give a preliminary signal at the spot of the foul, verbally inform the offender, indicate the outcome (shots or designated spot throw in), and only then proceed to the reporting area.

Because the manual requires me to verbally inform the offender, I say the offender's color and number, and the type of foul. Afterwards, I point at the spot or show fingers for the number of shots, and then proceed to the reporting area.

Is there any difference in the CCA men's or women's manual for foul reporting procedures? Unless it is not required to inform the offender, I would continue to do so in NCAA games, if and when I reach that level.

Rich Sun Apr 08, 2018 04:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1020561)
Unless your state uses a different standard for high school games, such as GA using women's college mechanics, the NFHS mechanics manual requires officials to give a preliminary signal at the spot of the foul, verbally inform the offender, indicate the outcome (shots or designated spot throw in), and only then proceed to the reporting area.

Because the manual requires me to verbally inform the offender, I say the offender's color and number, and the type of foul. Afterwards, I point at the spot or show fingers for the number of shots, and then proceed to the reporting area.

Is there any difference in the CCA men's or women's manual for foul reporting procedures? Unless it is not required to inform the offender, I would continue to do so in NCAA games, if and when I reach that level.

Are you serious? Or are you trolling us?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

JRutledge Sun Apr 08, 2018 04:35pm

Quote:

Are they going to send a stern letter home to their mother if they don't?

Honestly, who gives shit what the NF thinks on this? I don't and I do not work for the NF and my state has never asked us to do any such thing either way. This is a personal officiating issue which you can say things based on who you are with. And I have never been in any college camp (with people that sit on the NCAA Committee) and said a single word to any such official about what they verbally say one way or another.

You clearly need to get some more experience before you make such statements. Three years of JV ball is not doing you very well at this point. You need to go to camps completely outside of your state before you start telling us what should or should not be done.

Peace

bob jenkins Sun Apr 08, 2018 05:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1020563)

Could be both.

SC Official Sun Apr 08, 2018 06:02pm

Quote:

Water through the nose.

I would LOVE to hear the feedback the clinicians give you when you go to a college camp and give a prelim on every foul.

Rich Sun Apr 08, 2018 06:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1020570)
Water through the nose.

I would LOVE to hear the feedback the clinicians give you when you go to a college camp and give a prelim on every foul.

And stand there and call out the color and number of the fouler, too.

ilyazhito Sun Apr 08, 2018 06:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1020563)

I was seriously asking a question. I haven't done any college games, so I'm trying to understand if foul reporting procedures are different for college than for high school, both according to the CCA manuals and how they are actually done in practice. If they are, I will follow what is written in the appropriate CCA manual when I go to college tryout camps. If not, I will default to NFHS SOP.

AFAIK, in my games in DC and MD, no one told me that I should not follow the reporting procedure in the NFHS manual, because both Board 12 and MBOA use the NFHS manual as a basis for their mechanics.

I don't understand why JRutledge and other users believe that I am trying to insult them. I am trying to learn by sharing my experiences and asking questions about things that I may not understand. I do not want to have to say this on a public forum, but I will. I have Asperger's Syndrome, a disorder on the autism spectrum, which makes it more difficult for me to understand people than it may be for a normal person. I also may understand things literally, and may not understand unwritten rules, or deviations from written rules. Asperger's Syndrome is not without its strengths: I am a highly logical thinker, I pay attention to details, I am persistent in pursuing my interests (officiating is one of them), and I can remember many relevant facts. With proper support, I might be able to become "The Rule Guy (TM)" on a varsity, collegiate, or professional crew ;).

crosscountry55 Sun Apr 08, 2018 06:27pm

Hypothetical: Imagine ilyazhito with his strict mechanics PLUS Nevadaref with his strict rules interpretations. Now imagine them together on the floor working a 2-person game.

I’d pay to see it. The game would be an afterthought.

ilyazhito Sun Apr 08, 2018 06:35pm

That would be cool! Add Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. as the third official, and that would be perfect! ROFL!

crosscountry55 Sun Apr 08, 2018 06:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1020572)
I have Asperger's Syndrome, a disorder on the autism spectrum, which makes it more difficult for me to understand people than it may be for a normal person. I also may understand things literally, and may not understand unwritten rules, or deviations from written rules. Asperger's Syndrome is not without its strengths: I am a highly logical thinker, I pay attention to details, I am persistent in pursuing my interests (officiating is one of them), and I can remember many relevant facts. With proper support, I might be able to become "The Rule Guy (TM)" on a varsity, collegiate, or professional crew ;).

ilyazhito, suddenly your perspective and approach make a lot more sense. I apologize for being ignorant.

The pokes notwithstanding, please keep posting. You might get a little grief from time to time, but your posts are very accurate. Almost uncomfortably literal, that’s all.

Every official develops their own style, quirks, habits, etc. I’m sure you’ll do that, too, in time. In fact your style might be the style of no style, which is in and of itself a style. Don’t be afraid to be yourself. At the end of the day, if you can call a game and command a court, you’ll advance on merit.

BillyMac Sun Apr 08, 2018 06:58pm

Preliminary ...

Quote:

I don't think I say ANYTHING.

By IAABO mechanics (used by a very small percentage of Forum members), Rich is 100% correct. We never have to verbalize what type of foul at the preliminary, just the proper signal is required. All we have to verbalize for the preliminary is the color, and number, of the fouler. Maybe NFHS mechanics dictate the same?

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1020576)
Every official develops their own style, quirks, habits, etc.

For some reason I got into a habit of stating "Player control", or "Team control", at the preliminary, don't know why (maybe, as a young lad, I was trying to emulate a highly respected official who did likewise). I guess that it's become my "style". Maybe that's why I haven't gotten any state finals yet? Yeah, that's the reason, for sure. Absolutely, that's gotta be the only reason.

Or maybe it's because I put two fists on my hips at the preliminary for blocking fouls. At least I fix it by putting two open hands on my hips when I report the foul to the table, so that can't be why I haven't gotten a final yet? I only half screw up on those. Half screwing up is better than totally screwing up? Right? I fix it at the table, so it can't be that bad? Right?

ilyazhito Sun Apr 08, 2018 07:16pm

I do say color, number, and type of foul to verbally inform the offender that he fouled. If he asks for an explanation, I give it quickly. If not, he knows what he has done wrong. By the book, I am only required to inform the offender that he has fouled (and the preliminary signal explains the type of foul?), but my style is Manual+. By Manual+, I do what is required in the mechanics manual, with necessary additions to clarify the situation, emphatic signals to sell calls (especially on PC/TC fouls, when a score might be cancelled), and explanations if needed.

About the OP, if the official had used the proper "player control foul" signal, which in NCAA (the CCA men's manual) is grabbing the head (like NFHS) and a punch to indicate the direction, then there would be no confusion, as had happened with only the punch (some officials use a downward punch to indicate "score the goal", instead of the signal shown in the NFHS and CCA men's manual). This is why proper mechanics matter: Improper mechanics can confuse observers.

bob jenkins Sun Apr 08, 2018 08:34pm

Quote:

I was seriously asking a question. I haven't done any college games, so I'm trying to understand if foul reporting procedures are different for college than for high school,

Of course they are.

JRutledge Sun Apr 08, 2018 09:24pm

Quote:

I was seriously asking a question. I haven't done any college games, so I'm trying to understand if foul reporting procedures are different for college than for high school, both according to the CCA manuals and how they are actually done in practice. If they are, I will follow what is written in the appropriate CCA manual when I go to college tryout camps. If not, I will default to NFHS SOP.

AFAIK, in my games in DC and MD, no one told me that I should not follow the reporting procedure in the NFHS manual, because both Board 12 and MBOA use the NFHS manual as a basis for their mechanics.

I don't understand why JRutledge and other users believe that I am trying to insult them. I am trying to learn by sharing my experiences and asking questions about things that I may not understand. I do not want to have to say this on a public forum, but I will. I have Asperger's Syndrome, a disorder on the autism spectrum, which makes it more difficult for me to understand people than it may be for a normal person. I also may understand things literally, and may not understand unwritten rules, or deviations from written rules. Asperger's Syndrome is not without its strengths: I am a highly logical thinker, I pay attention to details, I am persistent in pursuing my interests (officiating is one of them), and I can remember many relevant facts. With proper support, I might be able to become "The Rule Guy (TM)" on a varsity, collegiate, or professional crew ;).

No one is insulted by you and secondly, none of that has to do with the response you are getting. The response is because you make remarks as if you know better than those that have been doing this longer than you. Sorry, but even with all of that you stated, you still have not done varsity, college or any other level. So the ideas you have are interesting, but that does not make the accurate. The NF, for example, does not make states follow their mechanics on any level. It is used to have some standardization but the NF does not expect states to follow things or do not get even upset if states do something totally different. But you might not know that because you have not been officiating very long or on this site which these things get talked about often. So if someone says something verbally or not, does it really matter? And the person you said something smart to actually assigns officials. If he does not care, I doubt anyone else gives a darn what verbal words they use on a specific call. Not insulted, just think someone that has admitted to only worked three year and no regular varsity might want to listen to high school, college, and high-level playoff officials. Your background is interesting, but it does not excuse the lack of perspective you have shown in this discussion.

Peace

ODog Sun Apr 08, 2018 09:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1020573)
Hypothetical: Imagine ilyazhito with his strict mechanics PLUS Nevadaref with his strict rules interpretations. Now imagine them together on the floor working a 2-person game.

I’d pay to see it. The game would be an afterthought.

Can we please add BillyMac as the third at least?! Even though Conn. doesn't use 3-man until there are 8 teams left ;)

SC Official Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1020581)
I do say color, number, and type of foul to verbally inform the offender that he fouled. If he asks for an explanation, I give it quickly. If not, he knows what he has done wrong. By the book, I am only required to inform the offender that he has fouled (and the preliminary signal explains the type of foul?), but my style is Manual+. By Manual+, I do what is required in the mechanics manual, with necessary additions to clarify the situation, emphatic signals to sell calls (especially on PC/TC fouls, when a score might be cancelled), and explanations if needed.

About the OP, if the official had used the proper "player control foul" signal, which in NCAA (the CCA men's manual) is grabbing the head (like NFHS) and a punch to indicate the direction, then there would be no confusion, as had happened with only the punch (some officials use a downward punch to indicate "score the goal", instead of the signal shown in the NFHS and CCA men's manual). This is why proper mechanics matter: Improper mechanics can confuse observers.

Clinicians at college camps will not give a damn that you show a prelim on every foul, that you verbalize the offender at the spot on every foul you call, or that you otherwise follow the manual to a T. If you do all that crap you will look like a rookie and you will not get hired, and when you go back the next year to try out again they WILL remember and you'll already have a strike against you.

You don't have to listen to anyone on this forum. But don't come crying to us when you can't get to the varsity level, or the college level, or beyond because the only guidance you follow is "the manual."

ilyazhito Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 1020590)
Can we please add BillyMac as the third at least?! Even though Conn. doesn't use 3-man until there are 8 teams left ;)

That's priceless! What high school game would have us together? The McDonald's All-American Game :D?

To SCOfficial, why is there a bias against officials who officiate using proper procedures at tryout camps? Aren't all officials rookies at one time, or another (whether to HS, to varsity, to playoffs, college, etc.)? What if an official does everything required of him by the book, and shows good game management and judgement in playcalling? Will evaluators pass over him in favor of someone who might look less official?

To bobjenkins, how exactly are foul reporting procedures different in college vs. high school? I know that the CCA men's manual has officials switching opposite the table, and that the CCA women's manual has officials switching tableside, and these switches can actually be seen in games.

About the OP, if the official uses the recommended signal for a player control foul, no confusion ensues. Any other takes on the OP?

BillyMac Mon Apr 09, 2018 06:16am

Possibly As An Alternate ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 1020590)
Can we please add BillyMac as the third at least?

Can I wear my black belt?

bob jenkins Mon Apr 09, 2018 07:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1020595)
That's priceless! What high school game would have us together? The McDonald's All-American Game :D?

To SCOfficial, why is there a bias against officials who officiate using proper procedures at tryout camps? Aren't all officials rookies at one time, or another (whether to HS, to varsity, to playoffs, college, etc.)? What if an official does everything required of him by the book, and shows good game management and judgement in playcalling? Will evaluators pass over him in favor of someone who might look less official?

To bobjenkins, how exactly are foul reporting procedures different in college vs. high school? I know that the CCA men's manual has officials switching opposite the table, and that the CCA women's manual has officials switching tableside, and these switches can actually be seen in games.

About the OP, if the official uses the recommended signal for a player control foul, no confusion ensues. Any other takes on the OP?

I'm not SCOfficial, but the book (rule, case, mechanics) doesn't always say exactly what it means or mean exactly what it says. You (especially at your experience level) need to more follow the "when in Rome" philosophy -- but I recognize that this can be tough because you (especially at your experience level) don't always know when someone else is doing something "wrong" or they are doing it "right, but not by the written book."

For foul reporting / mechanics -- too many to list -- when to switch, when to give a preliminary (fairly rare in NCAAW, at least), when to bird-dog, where to report, whether to come to a stop, etc.

Look --it's good to have goals. And the goal of becoming an NCAA and / or NBA official is good. But (1), it's a hard goal to achieve -- so have a back-up plan.

But (2) , that's a long-term goal, and the specifics of everything you've been asking about will change by the time you are ready to begin that process (probably at least six years, I would guess). So, you should stop focusing on all the little details and instead work on shorter-term goals like getting a full Frosh or Soph or JV schedule and working as many games as you can to get experience. And, that kind of goal is extremely dependent on your area -- so you should ask local officials and not a general group from around the country. If you do this, your goal of NCAA/NBA will be more likely -- if you don't do this, it will be impossible.

SC Official Mon Apr 09, 2018 07:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1020595)

There is a difference between looking like an official who just started his career and an official who is a rookie to the college scene. Doing all that spot of the foul stuff will make you look like the former; you don't want to go to a camp looking like you're a robot trying to show off that you do everything "by the book." It is goofy and not the norm, whether it's in the manual or not.

And "proper procedures" in the manual are often contradictory to "proper procedures" for assigners or just what accepted practices are. Whether or not you think that's right is a different discussion.

Ask yourself this question: how often do you see college officials, or NBA officials, or high-level high school officials, give a preliminary on anything other than a block/charge play or an offensive (PC/TC) foul? How often do you see those officials verbally say the color and number on every foul call? Unless you live in a state where the high school powers-that-be are super purist and anal about being by the book, the answer should be "very rarely." If you want to make it to the next level, you should have a desire to emulate officials that are at that respective level-and you should start by dropping the "I only care about doing everything by the book" attitude.

ilyazhito Mon Apr 09, 2018 07:12am

BillyMac, if that is a part of your uniform, go ahead. However, all of us will have to match. Me, Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., and Nevadaref will probably not wear belts, unless we all agree to.

bucky Mon Apr 09, 2018 01:53pm

Quote:

I have Asperger's Syndrome, a disorder on the autism spectrum, which makes it more difficult for me to understand people than it may be for a normal person.

Aspies are awesome, no doubt about it. Tony Attwood should be an official. He would be very understanding of......everyone.;)

Raymond Mon Apr 09, 2018 02:20pm

Quote:

.... I have Asperger's Syndrome, a disorder on the autism spectrum, which makes it more difficult for me to understand people than it may be for a normal person. I also may understand things literally, and may not understand unwritten rules, or deviations from written rules. Asperger's Syndrome is not without its strengths: I am a highly logical thinker, I pay attention to details, I am persistent in pursuing my interests (officiating is one of them), and I can remember many relevant facts. With proper support, I might be able to become "The Rule Guy (TM)" on a varsity, collegiate, or professional crew ;).

That would explain you hyper-focus on certain subjects. I was never diagnosed, but through my son's diagnosis I realized I am on the spectrum myself. As it is a social disorder, you can learn to overcome some aspects and compensate for some aspects. You would probably be great at film study. You should devote more energy in that direction, and less on rule changes and such.

BillyMac Mon Apr 09, 2018 04:42pm

Do As I Say, Not As I Do ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1020600)
BillyMac, if that is a part of your uniform, go ahead ... Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. ...

Actually IAABO International, the parent organization of my local board, forbids belted pants, and has done so for a few years. Because we have a few "belt" guys, our local board passed a constitutional amendment a few years ago that gives us the option of wearing belted (must be a black belt) pants as part of our approved uniform if we want to.

I spotted a rookie official (who did an excellent job officiating, he's a former high school basketball coach) wearing a belt this past season. I always provide positive feedback, or constructive criticism, to subvarsity officials that I observe (we're an educational organization), so I told him that as a up and coming young guy he should wear beltless pants, it's a better look, and a more modern look. Guys as old a dirt, like me, can pull off the belted look, but beltless is the way to go.

There are still some excellent dinosaurs on my local board. A outstanding veteran official wore belted pants working a girls state final this past season. Chalk one up for the old guys.

Also, for your information, Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. doesn't wear a belt when he works games, he wears suspenders. Good thing, because when he works, he goes commando.

ilyazhito Mon Apr 09, 2018 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1020622)
That would explain you hyper-focus on certain subjects. I was never diagnosed, but through my son's diagnosis I realized I am on the spectrum myself. As it is a social disorder, you can learn to overcome some aspects and compensate for some aspects. You would probably be great at film study. You should devote more energy in that direction, and less on rule changes and such.

That is what I do. I watch the IAABO "Make the Ruling" videos that are released every week, HS/NCAA preseason training videos, Officiating Born YouTube videos, Board 12 HUDL videos, and other videos of basketball games, watching for on and off-ball calls that should be made (I pay secondary attention to mechanics, positioning, clocks, etc.). I watch baseball and football situations as well for when I am officiating those sports.

IMHO, if assigners are uncomfortable with having their officials perform practices defined by the NFHS manual, they should contact their state interpreter to ask for a different, state-specific manual, or the NFHS basketball committee, to modify the mechanics to better conform with accepted practice. If the NFHS-prescribed mechanics are confusing, I would understand why high school officials might go off-script for the situations that lead to confusion.

How often do NCAA officials deviate from CCA Manual practices? Is it similar to what senior HS officials do, or less? Is it because the CCA Manuals are written in a way that better conforms to practice than the NFHS Manual? AFAiK, the CCA manuals are written in a way that would make it easier to put in practice than the NFHS one would be, but I would need confirmation from college officials on both sides.

Back to the OP, make sure that your player control and "score the goal" signals are different! That will help you avoid the hot water that the official in the OP got into with the coaches at that game.

ilyazhito Mon Apr 09, 2018 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1020628)
Actually IAABO International, the parent organization of my local board, forbids belted pants, and has done so for a few years. Because we have a few "belt" guys, our local board passed a constitutional amendment a few years ago that gives us the option of wearing belted (must be a black belt) pants as part of our approved uniform if we want to.

I spotted a rookie official (who did an excellent job officiating, he's a former high school basketball coach) wearing a belt this past season. I always provide positive feedback, or constructive criticism, to subvarsity officials that I observe (we're an educational organization), so I told him that as a up and coming young guy he should wear beltless pants, it's a better look, and a more modern look. Guys as old a dirt, like me, can pull off the belted look, but beltless is the way to go.

There are still some excellent dinosaurs on my local board. A outstanding veteran official wore belted pants working a girls state final this past season. Chalk one up for the old guys.

Also, for your information, Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. doesn't wear a belt when he works games, he wears suspenders. Good thing, because when he works, he goes commando.

OK. No belts for our game then. Ohio does opposite the table, and standard IAABO practice is opposite the table, so that's how we'll go, unless Nevadaref has something to say about that ;). Can't wait to get our game started!

Raymond Mon Apr 09, 2018 05:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1020631)
That is what I do. I watch the IAABO "Make the Ruling" videos that are released every week, HS/NCAA preseason training videos, Officiating Born YouTube videos, Board 12 HUDL videos, and other videos of basketball games, watching for on and off-ball calls that should be made (I pay secondary attention to mechanics, positioning, clocks, etc.). I watch baseball and football situations as well for when I am officiating those sports.

IMHO, if assigners are uncomfortable with having their officials perform practices defined by the NFHS manual, they should contact their state interpreter to ask for a different, state-specific manual, or the NFHS basketball committee, to modify the mechanics to better conform with accepted practice. If the NFHS-prescribed mechanics are confusing, I would understand why high school officials might go off-script for the situations that lead to confusion.

How often do NCAA officials deviate from CCA Manual practices? Is it similar to what senior HS officials do, or less? Is it because the CCA Manuals are written in a way that better conforms to practice than the NFHS Manual? AFAiK, the CCA manuals are written in a way that would make it easier to put in practice than the NFHS one would be, but I would need confirmation from college officials on both sides.

Back to the OP, make sure that your player control and "score the goal" signals are different! That will help you avoid the hot water that the official in the OP got into with the coaches at that game.

One thing you're going to have to work on, I can already tell, is the ability to adjust to different supervisors. You have to know when supervisors want you to do everything by the book, and you have to know which supervisors just want you to get plays right. If you have to choose one to make a priority as you advance, it's getting plays right. You can know how the manual says to do things, but recognize when it's acceptable or expected to deviate a little bit.

Start studying positioning. Especially from the trail. You want to be sideline oriented. I would review NBA plays from their website or plays specifically from Al Battista.

JRutledge Mon Apr 09, 2018 07:30pm

Quote:

The NF does not regulate what states do in any sense of mechanics. That is up to the state, association or assignor. And unless you are in a state that really cares that much about specifics of the book, chances are there are always going to be variations. No one needs to do anything to ask the state for anything. It is your job to know who you are working for and what is important to those that hire you.

Quote:

You have to be hired first. And that does not come by talking about it here. You have to attend someone's camp and get them to see if you have what it takes (and that is often more than what is in any book) and do what is stated by that supervisor. No one here is going to know the answer to this for you unless they work specifically for someone you are trying to get hired by. And even that might not be something clearly stated if you attend a camp or get hired. What you need to do is control the things you can control and listen to those that have been around and know the system. There is no one size fits all model. The CCA manual is hardly discussed at any camp I attend and most of what is told are, "tricks of the trade" type things to help you get plays right and be a good partner. Rarely have I ever had this much debate about what is in the Manual, because no one honestly cares what the Manual says about something that specific. The CCA Manual IMO is more for you to know and use in your game, but no one is going around brow-beating you with that information or specifics.

Quote:

Hot water? The coach yelled about a call he did not understand, likely because he does not know the rule. I think the official was fine, even if it was kind of confusing. And I doubt anyone could hear him anyway in that kind of game. There were not 5 people in the gym, there were thousands.

Peace