The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 05:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Flashing Lights ...

The 1996-97 NFHS Casebook contains caseplay 3.5.B (page 27) that interprets shoes with flashing lights as being illegal.

I'm writing a magazine article about rule changes and I'm trying to figure out when this interpretation was first made. I don't have any books older than 1996-97 (I wish I had kept my older books). It had to be sometime between 1992-93 and 1995-96.

If any grizzled veterans have a little extra time on their hands, can you please take a quick look though your old NFHS Casebooks (Section 3.5 in 1992-93, 1993-94, 1994-95, and 1995-96) and find out for me when this interpretation was first made?

It would be greatly appreciated.

I hate to ask Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. to take that long climb up to his to cold, dark, attic library. I'm sure that he's still mad at me for that sundial remark, although, if I do say so, it was pretty funny.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 19, 2018 at 05:28pm.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 07:44am
Courageous When Prudent

I believe Referee magazine had a blurb about that in a very recent issue. It came out when light up shoes became popular amongst HS kids, whatever years that was.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 03:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Mailman Delivers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I believe Referee magazine had a blurb about that in a very recent issue. It came out when light up shoes became popular amongst HS kids, whatever years that was.
Here's what I've got so far. I would love to put a date on the NFHS ban.

Karl Malone (Louisiana Tech 1982-1985, NBA 1985-2004), and Hakeem Olajuwon (Houston 1981-1984, NBA 1984-2002), both endorsed LA Gear basketball shoes. In 1993, they both wore LA Gear shoes with flashing lights in NBA games, and the NBA, and later the NFHS, banned shoes with flashing lights.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 04:24pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The 1996-97 NFHS Casebook contains caseplay 3.5.B (page 27) that interprets shoes with flashing lights as being illegal.

I'm writing a magazine article about rule changes and I'm trying to figure out when this interpretation was first made. I don't have any books older than 1996-97 (I wish I had kept my older books). It had to be sometime between 1992-93 and 1995-96.

If any grizzled veterans have a little extra time on their hands, can you please take a quick look though your old NFHS Casebooks (Section 3.5 in 1992-93, 1993-94, 1994-95, and 1995-96) and find out for me when this interpretation was first made?

It would be greatly appreciated.

I hate to ask Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. to take that long climb up to his to cold, dark, attic library. I'm sure that he's still mad at me for that sundial remark, although, if I do say so, it was pretty funny.
Quote:
Here's what I've got so far. I would love to put a date on the NFHS ban.

Karl Malone (Louisiana Tech 1982-1985, NBA 1985-2004), and Hakeem Olajuwon (Houston 1981-1984, NBA 1984-2002), both endorsed LA Gear basketball shoes. In 1993, they both wore LA Gear shoes with flashing lights in NBA games, and the NBA, and later the NFHS, banned shoes with flashing lights.

I am not going to climb up into my attic and it is not that I do not want to climb up into it, but Billy knows why and since he lives in a State that is populated with many people who have lots of vowels in their last names he knows how to keep his mouth shut unless he wants to sleep with the fishes, .

I am positive that the rule was added in either the 1993-94 or 1994-95 season. If I were a betting man I would bet on the 1994-95 season, but I have this nagging feeling that it might be the 1993-94 season. I feel like I am boxing a quinella at the jai-lai arena.

1a) The NFHS Casebook is divided into two Parts: Part 1 and Part 2.

1b) For all intents and purposes Part 2 is the Casebook for a given season.

1c) All new CB Plays added to the Casebook for a given year are listed in Part 1.

1d) All new CB Plays listed in Part 1 are also listed in Part 2 but are shaded GRAY.

2) I would bet dollars to donuts that the CB Play in question in Part 2 of the 1996-97 Casebook was not shaded GRAY because, knowing you Billy, you have already done your due diligence and also checked Part 1 of the 1996-97 Casebook.

3) Mark, Jr., started playing YMCA basketball in the 1994-95 season, and I remember commenting to the father of a little girl on his team that her flashing lights shoes would illegal for H.S. basketball. That makes me want to say that the rule was adopted for the 1994-95 season.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 05:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Make Me A Pie ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
... he lives in a State that is populated with many people who have lots of vowels in their last names he knows how to keep his mouth shut unless he wants to sleep with the fishes.
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. is correct. Connecticut is the state with the highest percentage of Italian Americans.

I no longer live there, but I grew up in East Haven, the Connecticut town with the highest percentage of Italian American residents.

There's a neighborhood, Wooster Square, in the nearby city of New Haven that has two of the best pizzerias in the United States, Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana (known locally as Pepe's), and Sally's Apizza.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 20, 2018 at 05:38pm.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 05:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Anecdotal Evidence ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
If I were a betting man I would bet on the 1994-95 season, but I have this nagging feeling that it might be the 1993-94 season. Mark, Jr., started playing YMCA basketball in the 1994-95 season, and I remember commenting to the father of a little girl on his team that her flashing lights shoes would illegal for H.S. basketball. That makes me want to say that the rule was adopted for the 1994-95 season.
Nice job Sherlock.

Caseplay 3.5.B is not highlighted in gray in the 1996-97 NFHS Casebook, nor does it appear in Part One of said Casebook, so the interpretation must have been made before 1996-97.

I'm going to go along with your Mark Jr. anecdote, and say the interpretation was implemented in 1994-95.

Thanks Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Karl Malone (Louisiana Tech 1982-1985, NBA 1985-2004), and Hakeem Olajuwon (Houston 1981-1984, NBA 1984-2002), both endorsed LA Gear basketball shoes. In 1993, they both wore LA Gear shoes with flashing lights in NBA games, and the NBA promptly banned shoes with flashing lights. The NFHS banned such shoes in 1994-95.

Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thead has six posts, now seven and Billy Mac has four. Well done my friend !!!!! Padding stats, no one does it better !!!!!
Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 06:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Hurdle Too High ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Thread has six posts, now seven and Billy Mac has four. Well done my friend !!!!! Padding stats, no one does it better !!!!!
Hey whatever it takes to get the answer that I needed. If it adds a few extra posts to my total, allowing me to retain my Esteemed Forum Member status, that's just the cherry on the sundae.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 20, 2018 at 06:21pm.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2018, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. is correct. Connecticut is the state with the highest percentage of Italian Americans.

They should have to choose one or the other. They can’t be both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Mar 22, 2018, 04:49pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Blue_Wannabe View Post
They should have to choose one or the other. They can’t be both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just remember I know where you live, and Mark, Jr., knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who owns a pig farm, LOL!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio