The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Luv4Asian8 Send a message via Yahoo to Luv4Asian8
Question

Situation: Rec Ball (so we know they're big babies). "A" (forward) comes into post to receive ball, posting up again a giant of center, "B". All night, A tries to boxout B, but can't budge him (hehe...looks really funny, but o well). As the game goes on, get's a little more physical in the key.

Question: Considering there was no displacement, I didn't blow whistle. But in hindsight, should I have? I mean, to prevent it from getting so physical later on in the game when calls really start to count.

How does an official's consistency play into this? If we have not been calling it all night, should we begin now?

just wondering....thanks
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
Situation: Rec Ball (so we know they're big babies). "A" (forward) comes into post to receive ball, posting up again a giant of center, "B". All night, A tries to boxout B, but can't budge him (hehe...looks really funny, but o well). As the game goes on, get's a little more physical in the key.

Question: Considering there was no displacement, I didn't blow whistle. But in hindsight, should I have? I mean, to prevent it from getting so physical later on in the game when calls really start to count.

How does an official's consistency play into this? If we have not been calling it all night, should we begin now?

just wondering....thanks
IMO: no-call's probably good here but keep watching them becuase A's gonna get frustrated or B's gonna get fed up. Maybe "encourage" them to keep it clean as the game progresses.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I agree with Dan_Ref

No call. Its not B's fault he's bigger and can hold his ground. If you think A is getting out of line, call the foul on him for creating the contact, but I would use this as an absolute last resort.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 03:55pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:

just wondering....thanks
When a smaller player is really working at moving a larger, stronger player, I will make the call against the little person if I judge that same effort will move a normal sized person.
My rationalization for this call, though no disadvantage is apparent, is that the action does put the stronger person at a disadvantage.
(I can easily picture myself mowing the lawn with a two-year-old grabbing onto my pocket; I can picture my self building a house with mosquitoes all over my arms; I can picture myself having a drink with Dan and he keeps moving my glass.)
mick
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
I can picture myself having a drink with Dan and he keeps moving my glass. . .
. . . to his own mouth.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

just wondering....thanks
When a smaller player is really working at moving a larger, stronger player, I will make the call against the little person if I judge that same effort will move a normal sized person.
My rationalization for this call, though no disadvantage is apparent, is that the action does put the stronger person at a disadvantage.
Hey Mick, Shaq just called. He sez he's thinks you're ready to work the NBA, he's gonna put your name in.
Quote:
(I can easily picture myself mowing the lawn with a two-year-old grabbing onto my pocket; I can picture my self building a house with mosquitoes all over my arms; I can picture myself having a drink with Dan and he keeps moving my glass.)
mick
Chuck beat me to it...
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 04:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I can picture myself having a drink with Dan and he keeps moving my glass. . .
. . . to his own mouth.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I wouldn't call it either. But I am talking to these guys, letting them know I am aware of the situation. This usually keeps tempers from flaring. If and when I do see displacement I am calling the foul.