The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Big Ten Tournament 2018 plays (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103607-big-ten-tournament-2018-plays-video.html)

Camron Rust Tue Mar 06, 2018 03:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 1018239)
Play #8 On his last step white 5 changes direction and turns into red. That being said I don't know if red ever has both feet down but I'm not sure he needs too as white makes all the contact.

??? What does that mean ???

If a defender isn't in legal position, contact created by the offense can still be a block and usually is. And for that matter, red had both feet down 3-4 times.

I think it is still a block, but it has to be for the right reasons.

AremRed Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 1018189)
No chance this is called if he takes the shot, jumps, etc. It was called because he stopped the action.

Bingo.

jeremy341a Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1018268)
??? What does that mean ???

If a defender isn't in legal position, contact created by the offense can still be a block and usually is. And for that matter, red had both feet down 3-4 times.

I think it is still a block, but it has to be for the right reasons.

What I was getting at was red lost LGP as white beat him driving perpendicular to the endline. However on his last step white changes his direction by about 45 degrees. On this new trajectory red is in his path. However after white's last step although red is now in his path I don't think red ever has two feet down again to reestablish LGP but does he need to becasue isn't red entitled to that stop on the floor as he got there first. I liken it to the situation of a guard in the open court dribbling with a defender running next to him. If the guard changes direction to run over the defender next to him I'm not calling a block on him.

Camron Rust Wed Mar 07, 2018 05:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 1018355)
What I was getting at was red lost LGP as white beat him driving perpendicular to the endline. However on his last step white changes his direction by about 45 degrees. On this new trajectory red is in his path. However after white's last step although red is now in his path I don't think red ever has two feet down again to reestablish LGP but does he need to because isn't red entitled to that spot on the floor as he got there first. I liken it to the situation of a guard in the open court dribbling with a defender running next to him. If the guard changes direction to run over the defender next to him I'm not calling a block on him.

Are you sure red loses LGP? Did white get head and shoulders by red? When white isn't moving directly at red, red can still have LGP. If that were not the case, an offensive player could always take 1 step away from an opponent to make them lose LGP then bowl them over if they're not stationary.

jeremy341a Thu Mar 08, 2018 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1018393)
Are you sure red loses LGP? Did white get head and shoulders by red? When white isn't moving directly at red, red can still have LGP. If that were not the case, an offensive player could always take 1 step away from an opponent to make them lose LGP then bowl them over if they're not stationary.

I agree with that. Looking again I believe you are correct that red doesn't lose LGP.

Why do you feel it is a block? In real time I would have called charge.

Raymond Thu Mar 08, 2018 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 1018453)
I agree with that. Looking again I believe you are correct that red doesn't lose LGP.

Before there is even a collision the defender grabs the ball-handler's right arm. That should have been a foul.

Camron Rust Thu Mar 08, 2018 05:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 1018453)

The defender's movement was towards the offensive player at the time of contact, not laterally or obliquely away from the offensive player.

bob jenkins Thu Mar 08, 2018 07:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1018500)
The defender's movement was towards the offensive player at the time of contact, not laterally or obliquely away from the offensive player.

That's what I had -- and I think he also might have lost LGP -- but I'd have to look again, and I recognize that it's close and I respect the judgment of others on this.