The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Duke/Va. Tech (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103592-duke-va-tech.html)

johnny d Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Player989random (Post 1017923)
4. In the first half? Maybe. End of the game? No. God no.

So Duke has no chance to win the game if you are officiating because you are afraid to call a foul on the last shot of the game. Great philosophy!

frezer11 Wed Feb 28, 2018 01:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1017927)
Which half?

Peace

2nd half

nolanjj68 Wed Feb 28, 2018 04:13am

How about the free throws at 25.6 seconds left. Ball tipped out of bounds by Duke after missed free throw. VT player grabs a Duke player who had a play to save the ball preventing him from doing so. No foul called, crew has to go to the video to determine who the ball was off. Not their finest moment of the game.

JRutledge Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolanjj68 (Post 1017947)
How about the free throws at 25.6 seconds left. Ball tipped out of bounds by Duke after missed free throw. VT player grabs a Duke player who had a play to save the ball preventing him from doing so. No foul called, crew has to go to the video to determine who the ball was off. Not their finest moment of the game.

I am going to assume you mean second half?

Peace

nolanjj68 Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1017959)
I am going to assume you mean second half?

Peace

Correct. Sorry I left that off.

JRutledge Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolanjj68 (Post 1017960)
Correct. Sorry I left that off.

Just wanted to save time. No problem.

Peace

Player989random Wed Feb 28, 2018 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 1017933)
So Duke has no chance to win the game if you are officiating because you are afraid to call a foul on the last shot of the game. Great philosophy!

Did anyone react to that no-call? Did anyone other than refs who've been trained to "watch the shooter come down" even notice the VT player jump slightly into Allen's path? The kid took a desperation shot and he isn't getting any help unless he ends up bleeding on the court.

Get the obvious.

Raymond Wed Feb 28, 2018 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Player989random (Post 1017975)
Did anyone react to that no-call? Did anyone other than refs who've been trained to "watch the shooter come down" even notice the VT player jump slightly into Allen's path? The kid took a desperation shot and he isn't getting any help unless he ends up bleeding on the court.

Get the obvious.

Desperation? That's normal 3-point range. I know a Mid-Atlantic college supervisor who got on a crew for not calling a foul on a half-court heave at the end of a game. He said the crew needs to have the courage to make that call.

youngump Wed Feb 28, 2018 02:56pm

For #4, should goal tending be called? It looks to me like that shot still might have gone in.

Raymond Wed Feb 28, 2018 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 1017983)
For #4, should goal tending be called? It looks to me like that shot still might have gone in.

Ball was coming up short of the rim. And that was the offensive player who grabbed the ball.

nolanjj68 Wed Feb 28, 2018 03:34pm

Might have been a foul. Seemed borderline to me. I stick with no call. Also, "the Kid" is Grayson Allen, he's not going to get borderline calls.

so cal lurker Wed Feb 28, 2018 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 1017983)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1017984)
Ball was coming up short of the rim. And that was the offensive player who grabbed the ball.

I thought it was really tough to tell from the angle we had if the ball was going to hit the rim. I thought it was going to hit the rim and go up in the air--with a minimal chance of going in on a bounce. But pretty irrelevant since it was the offensive player and the buzzer went off first.

Note that Allen did not even look for a call . . .

frezer11 Thu Mar 01, 2018 01:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolanjj68 (Post 1017985)
Might have been a foul. Seemed borderline to me. I stick with no call. Also, "the Kid" is Grayson Allen, he's not going to get borderline calls.

I'd like to hope this is irrelevant.