The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Basket at the wrong goal... should it count? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103589-basket-wrong-goal-should-count.html)

acap Sun Feb 25, 2018 08:12am

Basket at the wrong goal... should it count?

A1 is dribbling in her front court when she gets confused and dribbles across the half court line and makes a lay up at the wrong basket. The Trail official doesn't call over and back and the scorekeeper counts the basket. With the clock still running and before the throw in the Lead official calls time and asks the trail official about the "no call" and it's determined that there should have been an over and back call and the points were taken off the scoreboard and Team B received a throw in possession at the division line. Was it correct to remove points? Was it correct to stop the game and correct a "no call" over-and- back?

Nevadaref Sun Feb 25, 2018 08:20am

Nope, too late.
Note that the case would be the same had the player traveled before putting the ball into the incorrect basket. It is too late to go back and call a violation that was missed.

grunewar Sun Feb 25, 2018 08:31am

Seems an official, corrected an error, that's not a correctable error! :eek:

deecee Sun Feb 25, 2018 09:01am

Although the above are correct, depends on the level of play I would do things different. If it's a game with young kids maybe middle school or less would probably be my threshold. No way in a HS or higher game would i "correct" this.

BillyMac Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:34am

Special Olympics Unified Games ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by acap (Post 1017832)
A1 is dribbling in her front court when she gets confused and dribbles across the half court line and makes a lay up at the wrong basket. The Trail official doesn't call over and back and the scorekeeper counts the basket.

I had a partner (a great official) do this during a Special Olympics Unified Game a few years ago. I asked him why he (the trail) didn't call backcourt and he answered that he didn't want to embarrass the player with a backcourt call. The end result, a basket for the other team, turned out to be more embarrassing.

During Special Olympics Unified Games here in Connecticut we, as officials, are given a lot of leeway as to what we call, or don't call, based on the skill levels of the players involved, sometimes that "power" that can be problematic.

"No good deed goes unpunished." (Oscar Wilde)

TopicalTropical Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:18pm

I had a player get confused in the 4th quarter of a close game with a minute to go or so and score at the wrong basket while getting fouled. They did win which was lucky for the player as it was two good teams and shows anything can happen.

Just remember if you have this, the whistle for the foul stops the play. So no And 1 if the shot has not gone in and basket waived off. Go shoot the bonus fts if you have them at the other end.

SamIAm Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopicalTropical (Post 1017868)
I had a player get confused in the 4th quarter of a close game with a minute to go or so and score at the wrong basket while getting fouled. They did win which was lucky for the player as it was two good teams and shows anything can happen.

Just remember if you have this, the whistle for the foul stops the play. So no And 1 if the shot has not gone in and basket waived off. Go shoot the bonus fts if you have them at the other end.

Very, very hard to do as the ball is dead on the foul.

TopicalTropical Wed Feb 28, 2018 02:01am

Sorry, I thought I had edited that to be more clear. Yes, I know the whistle stops the play and this was discussed in an earlier thread. You would count the basket if the foul occurs after the shot has gone in.

I did say this in the second part-

SamIAm Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopicalTropical (Post 1017945)
Sorry, I thought I had edited that to be more clear. Yes, I know the whistle stops the play
I did say this in the second part-

The truth be told, I should have read your post a bit farther and slower. I don't post on here often and now you see why.