The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

3 Division A, AA, AAA (more A's are bigger)

Boys and Girls in each.

4 regions South West North East. Within each region their are 1 or 2 assigning zones with their own assignor.

PLayoffs

Round 1 - Regionals

Top 3 teams in each zone make it at each level. These teams meet in regional playoffs. South vs West, North vs East. Boys and girls alternate which year which region hosts.

In each division the top team in the hosting zone plays host to the other 3 teams. 2 vs 3 cross overs are elimination games on Friday night. Winners move onto semi's vs 1's on Saturday. After semis a championship and consolation (3rd place game) are played for seeding.

Officials for the regional tournaments are assigned by local assignor and zone Must be varsity rated officials, but selection is at discretion of the assignor. Varisty rating for playoff games can be obtained through test scores and formal evaluations at official evaluating tournaments.

Round 2 - Sectionals

In each division the winning team from each regional hosts a sectional. The 3rd place team remains at that sectional. 2nd place and 4th place team travel to opposite regional winner, with their 2 and 4 seeds travelling as well.

1 vs 4, 2 v3 single elimination on a Friday night. Winners meet on Saturday.

Officials for these games cannot be from assigning zones of teams involved. A crew chief (an assignor or university rated official) is sent with a group of officials to cover these 3 games. Based on performance in Friday games and the Saturday Matchup. Crew Chief will decide who does the Saturday game.

Round 3 - Championship

All sectional winners in all divisions and genders. Meet for the 6 championship games on the same Neutral site (university/pro court) the following weekend. Schedule fluctuates but generally 2 championships on Friday 4 on Saturday.

Recommendations from Crew CHief and Assignors based on previous weekend and season body of work decide the crews for each final. At this stage they try to avoid having officials from zones being represented on those games but not always possible. Officials from the same assigning zone cannot be put together.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 04:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Of Course, Our System Is Better Than Yours ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
3 Division A, AA, AAA (more A's are bigger).
Odd. Here in Connecticut, LL schools are larger than L schools.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 09, 2018 at 04:46pm.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Odd. Here in Connecticut, LL schools are larger than L schools.
Isn't that the same then? More letters, larger
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
Sure is -- and Conn. doesn't even use letters anymore anyway -- but that post count doesn't just happen without A LOT like the above.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 04:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Reading Is Fundamental ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
Sorry. Read it too fast, and too wrong.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 04:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks For The Memories ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Conn. doesn't even use letters anymore anyway.
No letters for boys (Roman numerals), due to the new "open" division.

Still use letters for girls, LL, L, M, S.

Thanks for bringing back the memory of the old fashioned Connecticut abbreviation.

I haven't seen it printed that way in over fifty years, back before we switched from two digit zones to five digit zip codes, and the decision to only use two letter state abbreviations.

In 1963 I lived in East Haven, Connecticut, and a letter addressed to me would read: East Haven, Conn. Zone 12.

Good tidbit for a cocktail party conversation: What town has the highest percentage of Italian American residents in the state with the highest percentage of Italian American residents?

East Haven, Connecticut.

Pizza anybody?

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Apr 11, 2018 at 05:57am.