The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   No padding on backboard (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103536-no-padding-backboard.html)

deecee Fri Feb 16, 2018 01:58pm

You could get sued for cancelling the game. Stop being so scared of a lawsuit and just take steps to minimize your risks. If this is like a majority of HS basketball games, this will not be a safety issue. If it's a game with a bunch of tall and athletic kids then it will be a safety issue.

I don't think a blanket "call it off" works here.

jeremy341a Fri Feb 16, 2018 03:03pm

I would have played the game if the Coaches said there was no concern of the players being injured.

For those that say that isn't good enough why would a call to the assignor or whoever else saying it was ok make any difference. It would still be me ignoring the rule and playing.

SC Official Fri Feb 16, 2018 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1017303)
You could get sued for cancelling the game. Stop being so scared of a lawsuit and just take steps to minimize your risks. If this is like a majority of HS basketball games, this will not be a safety issue. If it's a game with a bunch of tall and athletic kids then it will be a safety issue.

I don't know about getting sued for calling the game off, but hell nothing would surprise me in this day and age.

That being said, I agree with you. This isn't an absolute situation, just like most of what we encounter.

BryanV21 Fri Feb 16, 2018 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 1017306)
I would have played the game if the Coaches said there was no concern of the players being injured.

For those that say that isn't good enough why would a call to the assignor or whoever else saying it was ok make any difference. It would still be me ignoring the rule and playing.

Because we oftentimes change our mechanics based on what our assignors want.

In essence, you're right. But if the state were to ask about the situation it would be much better for me to say my assignor signed off on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rich Ives Fri Feb 16, 2018 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas4yf (Post 1017168)
Both coaches . . were adamant none of their players were athletic enough to get anywhere near the rim (this was a game between two small schools),

The game went on, the home team won, the backboard was, as the coaches expected, never an issue and everyone went home.

The league I played in in HS fit this bill.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Feb 16, 2018 07:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1017303)

You will could get sued, but the plaintiffs will not prevail. Why? You enforced a Safety Rule which must be enforced with no exceptions.

MTD, Sr.

Rich Fri Feb 16, 2018 08:47pm

Nobody speaks of the fact that canceling a playoff game could result in the crew never being assigned another.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro