The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Moving Screen (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103504-moving-screen.html)

Umonblue Fri Feb 09, 2018 01:23pm

Moving Screen

Just some clarity and confirmation. It is only a "Violation" if the Offensive player makes a Illegal/Moving Screen with no physical contact and it is a "Personal Foul" if there is physical contact i.e. swings hip into defender, sticks knee out, etc.?

hamnegger Fri Feb 09, 2018 01:28pm

Foul if contact otherwise nothing.

Coach Bill Fri Feb 09, 2018 01:28pm

An illegal/moving screen without contact is not an illegal/moving screen. I'm not sure what you would call it, but it's not a violation. And, of course, it's not a foul either.

so cal lurker Fri Feb 09, 2018 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umonblue (Post 1016666)
Just some clarity and confirmation. It is only a "Violation" if the Offensive player makes a Illegal/Moving Screen with no physical contact and it is a "Personal Foul" if there is physical contact i.e. swings hip into defender, sticks knee out, etc.?

This is one of the great vampire myths that just won't die. A moving screen is NOT a violation, despite what gets argued in darn near every pick up game in the country. An improper screen can be a foul, if it is illegally moving or the cheap acts that you describe. Not all movement is illegal on a screen, which is again oft misunderstood.

Umonblue Fri Feb 09, 2018 01:38pm

So if an offensive player moves late in front of a defensive player (to set a pick) and makes that defensive player stop or go around him without contact then there's no call? No Violation for an Illegal/Moving screen? Reason I ask I saw this in a college basketball game and called as a violation...that crew must have called it wrong then.

Umonblue Fri Feb 09, 2018 01:47pm

So if an offensive player moves late in front of a defensive player (to set a pick) and makes that defensive player stop or go around him without contact then there's no call? No Violation for an Illegal/Moving screen? Reason I ask I saw this in a college basketball game and called as a violation...that crew must have called it wrong then.

nolanjj68 Fri Feb 09, 2018 01:51pm

Rule 4. Definitions Section 40 Screen is where you will find your answer.

"Moving screen" is not in the NFHS rule book. Things that happen in college do not necessarily translate to NFHS.

SNIPERBBB Fri Feb 09, 2018 01:52pm

Crews get things wrong all the time. We just got to recognize what went wrong and learn from it.

youngump Fri Feb 09, 2018 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umonblue (Post 1016670)

If the offended coach didn't get T'ed up for the tantrum he threw about it, I suspect there was something else going on that you didn't realize.

#olderthanilook Fri Feb 09, 2018 02:07pm

UMONBlue....your query makes me think of coaches/fans that want a "reach" or "over the back" called. There is no such foul.

In fact, I don't know any player that can steal a ball w/o reaching for it in some way. And there are certainly great rebounders that can simply out jump an opponent reaching higher and sometimes over an opposing rebounder.

Same with a "moving screen". A player can move anywhere on the court. No foul there. Now, if the "reacher", "over the backer" or "moving screener" hold/strike, displace or contact the opponent, respectively, then we have illegal contact and thus a foul.

Otherwise, happy reaching, over the backing and move screening.

bucky Fri Feb 09, 2018 02:24pm

I always find it extra hilarious when a coach yells "Call the reach!"

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Feb 09, 2018 02:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolanjj68 (Post 1016672)

"Moving screen" is not in the NFHS rule book.
Things that happen in college do not necessarily translate to NFHS.

Nolan:

I think you need to re-read NFHS R4-S40-A6 again before you make that statement. I don't have my NCAA Men's and Women's Rules Books in front of me but they have the same Definition as the NFHS Rules have.

MTD, Sr.

SNIPERBBB Fri Feb 09, 2018 03:09pm

The words "moving screen" as a phrase does not show up in the case or rule books

JRutledge Fri Feb 09, 2018 03:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolanjj68 (Post 1016672)

"Moving screen" is not in the NFHS rule book. Things that happen in college do not necessarily translate to NFHS.

College (at least Men's which is all I care about anyway) does not have such language in their rulebook either. The screening rules are pretty much the same across the codes. And a screen can be illegal and be stationary. This is why officials and coaches need to stop using this term.

Peace

scrounge Fri Feb 09, 2018 03:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 1016684)
The words "moving screen" as a phrase does not show up in the case or rule books

True....but rule 4-40-2 says the screener must be stationary, and 10-7-11 says it's a foul if a player does not adhere to the rules of screening found in 4-40. So....would not 'moving' be a reasonable opposite of 'stationary'? Non-stationary sounds a bit stilted, no?

Seems to me that "moving screen" is a perfectly reasonable phrase to use for a foul, as a common description to why this particular illegal screen is illegal.