The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 14, 2018, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Those videos show officials walking in the backcourt with the ball heading to the front court.

Frankly, some of these videos are not good examples of officials working hard or giving a crap.
My thoughts exactly.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2018, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
NFHS 1-20
Non-playing personnel, e.g., spirit participants, media, shall remain outside of the playing area during a 30-second or less time-out during the game. Non-playing personnel shall stand outside the free throw lane lines extended toward the sidelines throughout the game.

The reason I asked is that it seemed like several times players were more concerned with creating their YouTube moments on camera after dunks, layups, etc. Questioned whether this led to some of the issues.
Thank you. I didn’t remember that. We have a similar rule but I thought it was a state rule and applied only or at l at least mostly to the spirit squad
Old Wed Feb 14, 2018, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Thank you. I didn’t remember that. We have a similar rule but I thought it was a state rule and applied only or at l at least mostly to the spirit squad
Im a big fan of having 20 cheerleaders on each end of the court, makes the Lead position so much easier to work.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2018, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
Im a big fan of having 20 cheerleaders on each end of the court, makes the Lead position so much easier to work.
And to make sure the players hear them, they have to be as close to the end line as possible at all times.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2018, 12:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
In our case, the transition was largely done by conferences. There were still plenty of big games in the 2-person conferences.

One of our conferences that went 3 person the first year went back to 2 the 2nd year because they saw too many sub par officials added to their games. They felt they had better quality with 2 than 3. The observed improvement from the system wasn't enough to overcome the addition of an official that may have never been on their games in the past. That was because we threw too many people into 3-person at once. The new official wasn't ready or accustomed to that level of ball and had no 3-person background at all. With limited experience form the other 2, that made for a situation where 3-person didn't look that good on a lot of nights.
Here officials choose which conferences to work for -- and the conferences choose which ones they will have.

I know, for a fact, I've worked my last 2-person varsity contest. Mainly because I won't work for the few conferences that still use 2. If everyone went back to two, I'd retire.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2018, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

The big concerns are cost for the school administration, and more fouls from the coaches. AZ has been fighting those for decades, and a big hurdle was that the powers at AIA were old school. The new head of officiating was an official up until last year, so there may finally be enough pressure to finally join the 21st century.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 07:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

Coaches ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra View Post
The big concerns ... and more fouls from the coaches.
Same problem here in Connecticut. Coaches. Money issues are a concern, but are secondary.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 08:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Amazing how people just ignore the study that was done that shows that fouls DO NOT INCREASE when going from 2-person to 3- person.

What does change is the amount of "guessing" required, from some to virtually none.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Amazing how people just ignore the study that was done that shows that fouls DO NOT INCREASE when going from 2-person to 3- person.

What does change is the amount of "guessing" required, from some to virtually none.
Article or study link?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Interesting. But it makes sense--with good/experienced referees. From the comfort of the stands, I've had games with three officials who did not appear experienced or strong where calls seem to come out of nowhere--almost as if the particular ref felt "left out" and had to find something. But overall, as a spectator, I haven't noticed more fouls in three man. Alas, I don't know that is an apples to apples comparison, as the three man I see is almost entirely league games, and those games seem to have good refs.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You also get those little chippy fouls inside on screens that become hard fouls later in the game in retaliation. The stuff missed in 2 person that causes games to get rough get nipped in the bud early so fouls, if anything, go down because they know we are watching.