The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Fans on court at end of game

Situation occured at the end of a contest here in Los Angeles last week. Struggling to find a rule to support the call.

A1 hits a shot to take a 1 point lead with 3 seconds on the running clock. Team B coach immediately calls time out (recognized by official under the basket).

Due to the noise in the gym, and the distance to calling official, the score table does not stop the clock and the buzzer sounds to end the game. Fans rush the court in front of the home team bench.

Officials correctly put time back on the clock, and call a technical four against Team A for their second delay. Team B hits both free throws to take the lead.

I don't have my rule book in front of mean, but based on my interpretation of the delay rules, because the time out is called immediate and there is no live ball action to delay, is there justification to call a T here - or should the official simply have cleared the court, put time back on the clock and proceeded as normal?
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 06:17pm
We don't rent pigs

Let's all say it together: "WOW!"

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas4yf View Post
... Due to the noise in the gym, and the distance to calling official, the score table does not stop the clock and the buzzer sounds to end the game. Fans rush the court in front of the home team bench ...

... should the official simply have cleared the court, put time back on the clock and proceeded as normal?
I had this EXACT scenario happen two years ago in a major intercity rivalry game, and we selected option B. Never considered option A, honestly.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

I hope the crew was punished.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I hope the crew was punished.
No clue
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
I had this EXACT scenario happen two years ago in a major intercity rivalry game, and we selected option B. Never considered option A, honestly.
This was a game for 1st place in what I would characterize as our sections second-most competitive league. Crosstown rivalry as well. Tough way to end a game for sure.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Had something similar happen which made me know the rule.

Rule states that if the fans do not interfere with the continuous play of the game, it shall be ignored. Since you have a timeout and thus play has been stopped- clear the court, put the time back on the clock, start the timeout and then resume from POI.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakht View Post
Rule states that if the fans do not interfere with the continuous play of the game, it shall be ignored.
Reference please.

I do not recall that phrase being in the FED rule or case book (I do think it's in the NCAA rules books)
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This was a game for 1st place in what I would characterize as our sections second-most competitive league. Crosstown rivalry as well. Tough way to end a game for sure.
what schools?
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Wasn't there such a game a year or two ago where the crew did choose option A? I don't recall where, and my memory may be faulty, though.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
what schools?
Hart/Valencia ... this is San Fernando section of Los Angeles (these schools are technically located in the Santa Clarita Valley).
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Reference please.

I do not recall that phrase being in the FED rule or case book (I do think it's in the NCAA rules books)
Agreed. I have not been able to find it anywhere. NCAA rules clearly state this situation WOULD NOT be a T. But high school seems absent on the matter.

The only possible wording I can find in the rule book that MIGHT allow an official to justify this Tech is

10.2.1 - Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest, this includes the following AND SIMILAR ACTS.

Perhaps one could argue that similar acts includes fans interfering, though I think this would be a major stretch since the ball was not in play.

There is also language somewhere in the book that talks about a T to the head coach for 'inciting' the fans. Also can't see applying this here when it was the clock running out that led to the fans on the court.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hart/Valencia ... this is San Fernando section of Los Angeles (these schools are technically located in the Santa Clarita Valley).
Thanks.

(Though I'm not sure how you get to Foothill as second most competitive league, and those teams are in 2nd and third in the league.)
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Thanks.

(Though I'm not sure how you get to Foothill as second most competitive league, and those teams are in 2nd and third in the league.)
In terms of top to bottom competitive within league over the years in the SFV, I'd say 1. Mission by a log shot ... 2. Foothill. Who would you place above them? And at the time of that game they were tied for first.

I'm certainly not saying Foothill is the second most competitive league in all of Southern Section. Not by a country mile. Though I will give you I have not done a game up there this year and glancing at maxpreps suggests its a down year for the league in general.