The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Patient Whistle? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103473-patient-whistle.html)

Altor Wed Feb 07, 2018 09:52pm

Rule 4 (definitions) is a good place to start.

ChuckS Wed Feb 07, 2018 09:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1016542)
(now we are off topic but...)

Point me in the direction of the rule book where advantage/dis is in regards to fouls again? I forgot where that was and an immediate electronic search returned nothing.

This may be it:

4-19-1 "A personal foul is a player foul which involves illegal contact with an opponent while the ball is live, which hinders an opponent from performing normal defensive and offensive movements..."

The implication being that there can be illegal contact which does NOT hinder an opponent.

JRutledge Wed Feb 07, 2018 09:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1016542)
(now we are off topic but...)

Point me in the direction of the rule book where advantage/dis is in regards to fouls again? I forgot where that was and an immediate electronic search returned nothing.

Rule 4-27-2 that basically says,

Quote:

Contact, which may result when opponents are in equally favorable positions to perform normal defensive or offensive movements, should be considered incidental.
Hope that helps.

Peace

VaTerp Thu Feb 08, 2018 01:47am

4-27-2 goes onto say "even though the contact may be severe."

One of my favorite rules references.

bucky Thu Feb 08, 2018 02:11am

I know all that stuff. I was asking for the location of the words "advantage/disadvantage" in the rule book in regards to fouls.

Also, not sure how a clear push, with someone being displaced 5 feet, could not result in an advantage/disadvantage situation. There would be no reason for the push in the first place. The OP described something that was not incidental. If it was incidental, then there would be no OP.

Altor mentioned definitions. Sure, no problem, check section 37 Rebounding, article 2 a.

You win, not responding to this thread any more. Rest easy knowing that when I see a clear push as described in the OP, a foul will be called. If someone can find the words "advantage/disadvantage" in regards to fouls in the rule book, start a new thread with the location, lol. I am hopeful that a 5 feet displacement will not equal an advantage or disadvantage, lol.

Hey ChuckS, if you see a player clearly get displaced 5 feet, I strongly urge you to call the foul. Can anyone argue with a clear, 5-foot shove? And if you don't, the next clear shove might result in a 10 foot displacement.

JRutledge Thu Feb 08, 2018 09:22am

Those are the references that say the same thing that the words "advantage/disadvantage" mean.

So since you said a push took place, that does not mean it influenced the play outside of the normal movement of a player. ;)

Peace