The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Question about a junior girls play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103397-question-about-junior-girls-play.html)

narwhal Tue Jan 23, 2018 01:49pm

Question about a junior girls play

So... since team mates are allowed to touch each other and, in our league, back court defense is not allowed I'm wondering about something that I'm not sure is legal or not legal. The players in possession of the ball ran down and lined up on the half court line, joined hands but were facing the other teams basket. Because back court defense was not allowed the defending players were not able to cross the half court line to get in front of them. The guard dribbled into them where they formed a ring around the guard and closed hands together... there was really no way to reasonably break the ring without drawing a foul but i couldn't think of any reason why this technically wouldn't be allowed either. Anyway it was 11 year old girls so, there's bound to be some silliness anyway. Thoughts? Opinions?

sdoebler Tue Jan 23, 2018 01:54pm

If the defense simply stood between the offense and the basket and the offensive team made contact it would be a moving screen. This is a really dumb play though.

just another ref Tue Jan 23, 2018 01:57pm

So, after the guard entered this ring of teammates, then what did they do?

Camron Rust Tue Jan 23, 2018 02:04pm

That is a team technical foul.

bob jenkins Tue Jan 23, 2018 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1015268)
That is a team technical foul.

Or a 5-second violation (9-10-1b)

And, I'd treat the division line the same as any other boundary line if the players tried to line up parallel to it and pass the ball on the BC side of the plane

Camron Rust Tue Jan 23, 2018 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1015269)
Or a 5-second violation (9-10-1b)

And, I'd treat the division line the same as any other boundary line if the players tried to line up parallel to it and pass the ball on the BC side of the plane

Yes, you could go that direction too. I think the difference is the locking of hands/arms that the T requires while the 5-second rule only requires enclosure. Once they lock arms, I think that would push the call to the T.

Now, if you want to get silly with such a play, what if the offensive players formed such circle then placed the ball on the floor in the middle of their circle. The ball would not be in player control so it would be harder to call that...I think the T would be the only recourse.

bucky Tue Jan 23, 2018 03:12pm

Why not, as a defender, just walk around it, into the BC, and take the ball (if on the floor)? I realize that it is not allowed but who cares? The ref will stop the game and the defense will get what they accomplished. Yes, they could then inbound in the BC and do the same thing but come on, these are 11 year olds. What kind of coach teaches this to 11 year olds? Yikes.

How could 4 11-year-old girls occupy the entire half circle perimeter without being in an illegal position. If feet are greater than should width apart, in order to accomplish this, call an illegal screen, lol. Or, if that far apart, crawl through the legs. When the defender collapses them, call a foul on her, lol.

I do believe that locking arms/hands is illegal.;)

I would use a T as an absolute last resort in a game involving 11 year olds.

deecee Tue Jan 23, 2018 03:32pm

the good ol ring of fire defense.

CJP Tue Jan 23, 2018 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by narwhal (Post 1015262)
So... since team mates are allowed to touch each other and, in our league, back court defense is not allowed I'm wondering about something that I'm not sure is legal or not legal. The players in possession of the ball ran down and lined up on the half court line, joined hands but were facing the other teams basket. Because back court defense was not allowed the defending players were not able to cross the half court line to get in front of them. The guard dribbled into them where they formed a ring around the guard and closed hands together... there was really no way to reasonably break the ring without drawing a foul but i couldn't think of any reason why this technically wouldn't be allowed either. Anyway it was 11 year old girls so, there's bound to be some silliness anyway. Thoughts? Opinions?

I would go straight to a technical foul.

just another ref Tue Jan 23, 2018 05:03pm

Or, in real life, consider what kind of game it is and tell the coach: "Knock it off. That isn't basketball."

BillyMac Tue Jan 23, 2018 08:09pm

Illegal ...

4-24-9: It is not legal to lock arms or grasp a teammate(s) in an effort to
restrict the movement of an opponent.

Team Technical: A team shall not: Allow players to lock arms or grasp a teammate(s) in an effort to
restrict the movement of an opponent.

justacoach Wed Jan 24, 2018 01:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdoebler (Post 1015264)
If the defense simply stood between the offense and the basket and the offensive team made contact it would be a moving screen. This is a really dumb play though.

Please, a rule citation for 'moving screen'?
Do you also call 'over-the-back' and 'reaching in'?

This is a public forum mainly populated by officials who know the proper terminology.

We would not want to adversely influence an inexperienced official or (God forbid) a fanboy if they should drop by.

Don't want to be seen as espousing 'fan speak'.

AremRed Wed Jan 24, 2018 01:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 1015308)
Please, a rule citation for 'moving screen'?
Do you also call 'over-the-back' and 'reaching in'?

This is a public forum mainly populated by officials who know the proper terminology.

We would not want to adversely influence an inexperienced official or (God forbid) a fanboy if they should drop by.

Don't want to be seen as espousing 'fan speak'.

'Moving screen' is fan speak now??

justacoach Wed Jan 24, 2018 01:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1015309)
'Moving screen' is fan speak now??

If it is used as justification for calling a foul or a violation by someone presenting themselves as an official.
Since you seem to be in the know about this term, maybe you can help me understand whether to call a foul or a violation.

so cal lurker Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:29am

Sounds like a team party watching the Mighty Ducks or that soccer movie (Kicking and Screaming maybe?) in which essentially that play was used by the heroic underdogs, and tried to bring it to basketball. (I don't know about the hockey version, but the soccer version was illegal.)