The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 11, 2018, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

When does a starter become a player??

At what moment does a starter become a player?? During the warmup period, if a team member receives a technical foul, it is charged as a direct technical on that team member and indirect on the head coach.

At what point do the team members who are designated starters become a player, such that a technical foul charged to them is NOT an indirect technical foul on the head coach??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jan 11, 2018, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Blue_Wannabe View Post
At what moment does a starter become a player?? During the warmup period, if a team member receives a technical foul, it is charged as a direct technical on that team member and indirect on the head coach.

At what point do the team members who are designated starters become a player, such that a technical foul charged to them is NOT an indirect technical foul on the head coach??

As soon as it leaves your hand on the initial jump, the ball is live, and players become players. If someone dropped an F-bomb right before then, in all honesty I'd probably give the T, but not to the coach. By rule that's wrong, I just don't think its a scenario I'd even think of.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2018, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

When the ball first becomes live to start the game. Usually that’s during a jump ball. Sometimes it’s when the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower. For specifics, read the entire rule that’s devoted to live ball and dead ball.

Old Thu Jan 11, 2018, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
As soon as it leaves your hand on the initial jump, the ball is live, and players become players. If someone dropped an F-bomb right before then, in all honesty I'd probably give the T, but not to the coach. By rule that's wrong, I just don't think its a scenario I'd even think of.

I would have no reservations whatsoever about making a coach sit for an F-bomb directed at me right before my toss.

NOTE: As discussed a couple of years ago, I hate the seatbelt rule. But as long as it’s there, I might as well leverage it for situations like this.

Old Fri Jan 12, 2018, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Here’s the situation that led to this post.

I was observing a game at a tournament I’m working this weekend. As players were coming out for the opening tip, one of the starters was wearing a illegal undershirt. U1 approached him and let him known he couldn’t wear it. He took off his jersey and undershirt and put the jersey back on. U1 assessed the technical.

As we discussed it later, we talked about whether it should have been an indirect on the coach or not. Sounds like it should have been. They did not charge indirect to coach or seatbelt him.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2018, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
U1 approached him and let him known he couldn’t wear it. He took off his jersey and undershirt and put the jersey back on. U1 assessed the technical.
Hmm. If you are U1, are you going to watch him take off the shirt and whack him, or tell him "don't do that here" to stop it before it happens?
Old Fri Jan 12, 2018, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Hmm. If you are U1, are you going to watch him take off the shirt and whack him, or tell him "don't do that here" to stop it before it happens?
I agree. If I am anywhere near him, I'll basically yell it at him as I walk closer to try to do what I can to prevent having to call the T. Btw, in this situation, what would everyone do, allow him to leave, change, and return? Or allow a switch in the starters so we can get the game going?
Old Fri Jan 12, 2018, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

"Btw, in this situation, what would everyone do, allow him to leave, change, and return? Or allow a switch in the starters so we can get the game going?"

Doesn't Rule 3-2-2 answer this? You assess a T for changing a designated starter "unless necessitated by ... illegal equipment."
Old Fri Jan 12, 2018, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
"Btw, in this situation, what would everyone do, allow him to leave, change, and return? Or allow a switch in the starters so we can get the game going?"

Doesn't Rule 3-2-2 answer this? You assess a T for changing a designated starter "unless necessitated by ... illegal equipment."
You're right, but my point is this: If it takes him 30 seconds to run to a locker room just outside the gym, then it probably takes longer to make the change in the scorebook.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2018, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

If you catch it when the visiting team is being introduced, they probably have enough time to disappear and return with a legal uniform. Home team? Well by then you’re seriously running short on time. But usually, considering all they’re going to do is find the closest hallway outside of the visual confines, I’ll probably wait. Nothing like an entire gym waiting on you to discourage illegal undershirts in the future.