The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Free Throw admin- NBA (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103341-free-throw-admin-nba.html)

frezer11 Wed Jan 10, 2018 05:26pm

Free Throw admin- NBA

Does anyone know why the NBA went back to handing the ball to the shooter on the FT? I figure that for most things to change, be it rules or mechanics, there is a reason for the change. I'm just curious what advantage was seen in doing this. Would there be any reason for college or HS to switch?

Btw,searched through past threads to see if this topic was already discussed, and didn't see it, sorry if it has been-

justacoach Wed Jan 10, 2018 06:13pm

My 2 resident NBA rules practitioners say it to prevent inordinate delays by shooters by having an official closeby. Also, only applies to first shot.

crosscountry55 Wed Jan 10, 2018 08:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 1014503)
My 2 resident NBA rules practitioners say it to prevent inordinate delays by shooters by having an official closeby. Also, only applies to first shot.

How about just count to 10 and then call the violation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freddy Wed Jan 10, 2018 09:14pm

When asked about it in October or November, an NBA official who was guest speaker at a local association meeting said it was due to the desire on the part of the NBA to crop dead time from TV broadcasts. They determined that the C administering the first FT saved time and, though only a little each time, it all added up to several minutes of time savings each game. And in the TV stratosphere of economics, those minutes are apparently quite valuable.
That's what he said.
We used to do it that way all the time.

bucky Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:06pm

So does that mean they originally went from handing the ball to the shooter to bouncing it in order to lengthen the game? LOL, that would have been a strange reason for that change.

JRutledge Thu Jan 11, 2018 01:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1014508)
So does that mean they originally went from handing the ball to the shooter to bouncing it in order to lengthen the game? LOL, that would have been a strange reason for that change.

It likely takes longer to get the shooter in place. I can see if that is the reason, it could easily speed things up.

Peace

frezer11 Thu Jan 11, 2018 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 1014503)

This isn't a delay by the shooter actually shooting it correct? More the scenario where the shooter walks around outside the 3 point line before receiving the ball?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 1014505)
When asked about it in October or November, an NBA official who was guest speaker at a local association meeting said it was due to the desire on the part of the NBA to crop dead time from TV broadcasts. They determined that the C administering the first FT saved time and, though only a little each time, it all added up to several minutes of time savings each game. And in the TV stratosphere of economics, those minutes are apparently quite valuable.
That's what he said.
We used to do it that way all the time.

I'm sure they did the math and the research, but wow, that seems like a lot of time!

VaTerp Thu Jan 11, 2018 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1014504)
How about just count to 10 and then call the violation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 seconds only applies once the ball is at the FT shooter's disposal.

As I understand it, this is to curb delays before that. Some guys like to walk around and do all kind of stuff before stepping to the line. Russell Westbrook was a regular culprit of this. Some have even suggested this has contributed to his FT % dropping nearly 14% this season compared to last.

I'm not sure how consequential it is overall but for some reason I like the way they administer it.

bucky Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 1014513)
10 seconds only applies once the ball is at the FT shooter's disposal.

So, if the rule is the same as NFHS, put the ball on the floor and start counting. Or, if players were taking too much time to get in place, call a DOG. Use the rules in place, don't change the official's mechanics to accommodate.

justacoach Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1014519)
So, if the rule is the same as NFHS, put the ball on the floor and start counting. Or, if players were taking too much time to get in place, call a DOG. Use the rules in place, don't change the official's mechanics to accommodate.

Perhaps you'd favor us with a dissertation, based on your boundless NBA rules expertise, on the relevant rules at play in this situation. Please distinguish from 1st throw and 2nd throw, if you please.

VaTerp Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:43pm

Quote:

OMG the accommodating horror of changing the mechanic of administering a FT.

Thanks but no thanks. I'll take the way the NBA chose to deal with it over having the L walk up the FT line and place the ball down.....and then have the C initiate a count.

HokiePaul Thu Jan 11, 2018 02:17pm

Quote:

Well if you wanted to put the ball on the floor and start a count, having the C administer the free throw makes it easier to do that too.

bucky Thu Jan 11, 2018 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 1014534)
Well if you wanted to put the ball on the floor and start a count, having the C administer the free throw makes it easier to do that too.

Perhaps, however the distance traveled to the FT line by the C to do that is basically the same as the L.:p

frezer11 Thu Jan 11, 2018 05:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 1014524)
OMG the accommodating horror of changing the mechanic of administering a FT.

Thanks but no thanks. I'll take the way the NBA chose to deal with it over having the L walk up the FT line and place the ball down.....and then have the C initiate a count.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 1014534)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1014538)
Perhaps, however the distance traveled to the FT line by the C to do that is basically the same as the L.:p

All irrelevant. You don't use resumption of play on a FT, its a delay of game if anything.

Camron Rust Sat Jan 13, 2018 04:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1014545)
All irrelevant. You don't use resumption of play on a FT, its a delay of game if anything.

That is news to me. Citation?