The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   End of Wisconsin/WKU (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103233-end-wisconsin-wku.html)

Rich Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:06am

End of Wisconsin/WKU

Someone please post the video for discussion. Thanks.

JRutledge Thu Dec 14, 2017 06:50am

Can you give specifics? Just the end of the game or what happened that you wanted?

Peace

Jesse James Thu Dec 14, 2017 07:48am

It will be pretty obvious when you get there—but 2.0 left, Wisky inbounding

JRutledge Thu Dec 14, 2017 08:23am

Here is the play:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tYBEl8-dv6A" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

bob jenkins Thu Dec 14, 2017 08:26am

Correct call; wrong signal

hamnegger Thu Dec 14, 2017 08:46am

I think this should be a no call. We have a legal screen and the player does not see the screen and runs through it.

“ A player who is screened within his/her visual field is expected to avoid contact with the screener by stopping or going around the screener. In cases of screens outside the visual field, the opponent may make inadvertent contact with the screener, and such contact is to be ruled incidental contact, *provided the screener is not displaced if he/she has the ball.”

Spence Thu Dec 14, 2017 08:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamnegger (Post 1012850)
I think this should be a no call. We have a legal screen and the player does not see the screen and runs through it.

“ A player who is screened within his/her visual field is expected to avoid contact with the screener by stopping or going around the screener. In cases of screens outside the visual field, the opponent may make inadvertent contact with the screener, and such contact is to be ruled incidental contact, *provided the screener is not displaced if he/she has the ball.”

Is a side screen outside the visual field?

AremRed Thu Dec 14, 2017 09:02am

There's no really good signal here. This would be a perfect time to bird dog and point out to everyone who the foul is on. That would avoid all the confusion.

AremRed Thu Dec 14, 2017 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamnegger (Post 1012850)

This play could be several things, but cannot be a no call.

Smitty Thu Dec 14, 2017 09:19am

Why is this the right call? It seems like a blind screen and the WKY player does not seem to push his way through the screen - he just sort of falls into it blindly. The screen is effective. I don't see this as a foul. This is a no call to me. Maybe college looks at this differently?

#olderthanilook Thu Dec 14, 2017 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1012849)
Correct call; wrong signal

In High School ball, would a better preliminary mechanic/signal be "push"?

Raymond Thu Dec 14, 2017 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1012852)
There's no really good signal here. This would be a perfect time to bird dog and point out to everyone who the foul is on. That would avoid all the confusion.

The correct signal would be push/charge. That would make it clear the call was against the Red on this play.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 14, 2017 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 1012856)
In High School ball, would a better preliminary mechanic/signal be "push"?

Yes. And in NCAA.

And, if the defensive player had stopped on the initial contact, this would be a no call. Be he kept going through the screen -- foul.

I think the only issue is whether the screen on a moving player was set in time to give the player enough time / distance to avoid the screen -- and, if not, that would make it an illegal screen, not a "no call."

Smitty Thu Dec 14, 2017 09:30am

It looks like upon initial contact, the screener fell and then the defender tripped over him and fell on top of him. I just don't see it. When I first saw it I didn't think the screener gave him enough time/distance and I thought the official was calling the illegal screen. It wasn't until I watched a second time that I realized he called the foul on the defender. I still kind of think the screen wasn't legal. It's close.

RedAndWhiteRef Thu Dec 14, 2017 09:41am

Nothing about this makes any sense at all. Are we sure the Wisconsin player's left foot wasn't on the line? That wouldn't constitute legal position.

I've got nothing here either. I've never understood the "if you have a player on the ground, you have to have a whistle" theory. No, if you have a player on the ground you need to determine WHY he's on the ground and then you might have a whistle from there.