The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I am stumped !! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103212-i-am-stumped.html)

Frankienova Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:48am

I am stumped !!

A1 goes up for a two handed dunk - he gets stuffed by the rim, never lets go of the ball and returns to the ground with the ball. What is the call?

Eastshire Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankienova (Post 1012551)
A1 goes up for a two handed dunk - he gets stuffed by the rim, never lets go of the ball and returns to the ground with the ball. What is the call?

The ball must be released for a pass or try for goal before the pivot foot returns to the floor. If he didn't release the ball for the try, I think you'd have travelling here.

Raymond Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:58am

Good question. I know the shot clock does not reset in those situations.

bucky Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:28pm

The call is one embarrassed A1.

so cal lurker Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1012559)
The call is one embarrassed A1.

Oh, c'mon, that must have been a foul!

just another ref Thu Dec 07, 2017 08:17pm

If he gets clobbered on the way down does he get two shots?

deecee Fri Dec 08, 2017 07:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 1012580)

Why would the airborne shooter provision not apply to a dunker?

bob jenkins Fri Dec 08, 2017 08:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 1012580)

No.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1012595)
Why would the airborne shooter provision not apply to a dunker?

It does. In the OP the player is not an airborne shooter as s/he has not released the ball.

just another ref Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1012596)
No.

It does. In the OP the player is not an airborne shooter as s/he has not released the ball.

:)

bucky Sat Dec 09, 2017 03:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1012596)
No.

I am confused. Why does someone have to release the ball to be considered shooting? There are lots of times where fouls prevent the release of a shot.

Imagine B1 taking out the legs of the dunker and the dunker lands holding the ball. Not going to award two shots for the shooting foul?

Or, B1 is in the air about to release a shot. From behind, A1 hits B1 in the back of the head. Then A2, in front with his hand on the ball, prevents the release of the shot. Not going to award two shots?

Check rule 4-41 article 2. "...A player is trying for goal when the player has the ball and in the official's judgement is throwing or attempting to throw for goal. It is not essential that the ball leave the player's hand as a foul could prevent release of the ball."

Now, obviously there was no foul in the OP however I would judge the player to be, in 99.9% cases, attempting to throw for goal.

Is there a specific case citation for this play that indicate otherwise and to treat it as traveling? If so, set me straight.

BillyMac Sat Dec 09, 2017 06:51am

Airborne Shooter ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1012649)
Why does someone have to release the ball to be considered shooting?

They don't, but they do have to release the ball to be considered to be an airborne shooter, which impacts contact rulings after the ball otherwise becomes dead.

An airborne shooter is a player who has released the ball on a try
for a goal or has tapped the ball and has not returned to the floor.