The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

0 vs. 00

NFHS game. A6, wearing 00, is summoned into the game. Scorer summons the official to the table and notifies him that the player is listed as 0 in the book. Do you have a technical foul for an incorrect number?
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 12:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

No. They can only have one anyway. I would not at all consider that anything but a bookkeeping mistake. They are not trying to deceive anyone IMO.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

What was on the roster given to the book?
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
What was on the roster given to the book?
I assuming your asking this because if the roster had 00, then it was a bookkeeping error and if it was 0, then a different result should be applied?

Isn't it the job of the head coach to ensure the numbers match the kids playing? The scorekeeper is only there to keep record of the names and numbers. This is probably a good reason to have the head coach check their book before a game starts.

In either case, I don't think I would call a technical here.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Only required to provide the roster.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 02:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

0 vs. 00

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
I assuming your asking this because if the roster had 00, then it was a bookkeeping error and if it was 0, then a different result should be applied?

Isn't it the job of the head coach to ensure the numbers match the kids playing? The scorekeeper is only there to keep record of the names and numbers. This is probably a good reason to have the head coach check their book before a game starts.

I have had a coach check or sign the book.

I won't knock anyone who does this, but I haven't and won't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Only required to provide the roster.
Can you cite this?

It's not something I ever really care about it, I go by what is in the official scorebook, but I have seen this come up.

The away coach has their roster in their scorebook and the scorekeeper gets the one out of the game program which ends of being different. That night I happened to take the book over to the visiting coach who noticed the error, we got it corrected.

Just curious if this hadn't been caught..
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can you cite this?

It's not something I ever really care about it, I go by what is in the official scorebook, but I have seen this come up.

The away coach has their roster in their scorebook and the scorekeeper gets the one out of the game program which ends of being different. That night I happened to take the book over to the visiting coach who noticed the error, we got it corrected.

Just curious if this hadn't been caught..
“A team shall not:

ART. 1 . . . Fail to supply the scorer with the name and number of each team member who may participate and designate the five starting players at least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time.” (10-1-1)

It's not the coach's job to make sure the scorer inputs the numbers correctly.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 03:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

It is the job of the coach to ensure a proper roster is submitted, not to check the book to see if the scorekeeper properly entered the data.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
“A team shall not:

ART. 1 . . . Fail to supply the scorer with the name and number of each team member who may participate and designate the five starting players at least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time.” (10-1-1)

It's not the coach's job to make sure the scorer inputs the numbers correctly.
Additionally, it must only be provided to the scorer in time. If the official book is blank even as late as 0:00 in warmups, there is still no penalty to the team(s).
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
No. They can only have one anyway. I would not at all consider that anything but a bookkeeping mistake. They are not trying to deceive anyone IMO.

Peace
Agreed however do you feel/react the same way if it was 1 vs 11?

This is one of many reasons why I check the books before the 10 minute mark. Anything glaringly out of wack can be corrected. There have been times where I get a legitimate explanation/reason for a delayed book. That is good to know in advance instead of at/below 10 mins.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 11:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Agreed however do you feel/react the same way if it was 1 vs 11?

This is one of many reasons why I check the books before the 10 minute mark. Anything glaringly out of wack can be corrected. There have been times where I get a legitimate explanation/reason for a delayed book. That is good to know in advance instead of at/below 10 mins.
By rule 1 and 11 are two different numbers. The two numbers 0 and 00 are considered the same by rule basically. That is why they are not allowed to be used at the same time because computers cannot distinguish the both 0 and 00 as different numbers. But if we find out that the scorekeeper incorrectly copied

Peace
Old Fri Dec 01, 2017, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
By rule 1 and 11 are two different numbers. The two numbers 0 and 00 are considered the same by rule basically. That is why they are not allowed to be used at the same time because computers cannot distinguish the both 0 and 00 as different numbers. But if we find out that the scorekeeper incorrectly copied

Peace
Yea, I understand.

Now I must throw in my 2 cents regarding technology or lack thereof. Based on what you said, if computer programs can distinguish between 1 and 11 as being different numbers, that must mean the computer program can recognize a null value in the tens place. Therefore, why couldn't the same program do the same for the number 0? I hate computers. All they do is reflect the imperfections of humans
Old Fri Dec 01, 2017, 10:50am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Yea, I understand.

Now I must throw in my 2 cents regarding technology or lack thereof. Based on what you said, if computer programs can distinguish between 1 and 11 as being different numbers, that must mean the computer program can recognize a null value in the tens place. Therefore, why couldn't the same program do the same for the number 0? I hate computers. All they do is reflect the imperfections of humans

Depends on if you're storing the values as a String (characters) or as an Integer (number).

Computers store everything in binary, as a combination of 1s and 0s. Assuming we're using 8-bit notation (that is, 8 slots per number) if we're storing just Integers, there's no difference between 0 and 00, because they're both stored as 00000000. 1 is stored as 00000001, 2 is stored as 00000010, 3 is stored as 00000011, 4 is stored as 00000100, etc... 11 is stored as 00001011.

String values are handled differently... each "letter" has it's own 8-bit value. Assuming we're using ASCII notation, the 8-bit value for 0 is 00110000, which would be repeated twice for 00, so 0011000000110000. 11 would be 0011000100110001.

Of course, there are many different types of character encoding schemes (UTF-8, UTF-16, UTF-32, ISO8859, Windows 1252, and many many more, all of them work similarly to ASCII, but the actual binary value of a particular character may be different)

You may commence shouting "Shut Up, Nerd!" at me at your earliest convenience.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2017, 10:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yea, I understand.

I am assuming because the value of 0 is the same value of 00 if stated. The only reason you would have 00 in the first place is for numbering purposes like our sport. Otherwise if you ad 0 or 00 to anything, it has the same value mathematically. And I am sure someone has made something that could distinguish the two numbers differences, but at the time this rule was put in place, I doubt that was universal and probably still not universal in all computer programs. The numbers 1 and 11 are two different numbers and have different values.

Peace