The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Wizards-76ers play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103184-wizards-76ers-play.html)

ODog Wed Nov 29, 2017 09:46pm

Wizards-76ers play

Yes yes, I know, I know. Different rule sets, nobody on here officiates in the NBA, blah, blah, blah. Bear with me ...

I just want to poll the electorate on what they would've done in this situation. If someone can clip the play, that would be beautiful.

22.2 seconds left, Saric of Philadelphia is fouled on a made basket. He then spikes the ball to the floor and it bounces a mile high. Official assesses a technical foul instantly.

Forget whatever the rules are in the NBA and whether they're different. Would you T this play in a HS or college game? Thanks.

bucky Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 1012054)
Yes yes, I know, I know. Different rule sets, nobody on here officiates in the NBA, blah, blah, blah. Bear with me ...

I just want to poll the electorate on what they would've done in this situation. If someone can clip the play, that would be beautiful.

22.2 seconds left, Saric of Philadelphia is fouled on a made basket. He then spikes the ball to the floor and it bounces a mile high. Official assesses a technical foul instantly.

Forget whatever the rules are in the NBA and whether they're different. Would you T this play in a HS or college game? Thanks.

Yes

grunewar Thu Nov 30, 2017 04:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 1012054)
He then spikes the ball to the floor and it bounces a mile high. Official assesses a technical foul instantly.

Forget whatever the rules are in the NBA and whether they're different. Would you T this play in a HS or college game?

I do HS. Yes, 100% of the time.

Scrapper1 Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:26am

I didn't see the play, but maybe JRut can post a clip in this thread.

I know that I'm in the minority in saying that I don't believe that spiking the ball is an automatic T. If a player is angry with the official, or "celebrating" in front of an opponent, then that's obviously unsporting and gets a T.

But if the player is frustrated with himself or something similar, I don't see why that should get a T. It doesn't seem unsporting to me. It doesn't delay the game.

So for me, it really depends on the context of the spike.

Raymond Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:45am

The last 3 summers I've worked a local Pro-Am utilizing NBA rules under the direct supervision of 2 local NBA officials. From what I have gleaned, such action is an expected, no-brainer Technical Foul.

Mark Padgett Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:47am

I'd call it in a 3rd grade rec game.

walt Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:16am

T 100% of the time. What Saric did was not slam it to the floor and miss catching it on the way back up. He slammed it to do exactly what it did. Delays the game and is totally unnecessary no matter what happened. That was an easy T and for the NBA officials, they are instructed to call it without hesitation.

bob jenkins Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:24am

If someone had issued the T when he did this in third grade and HS and College then he’d know not to do it now.

Scrapper1 Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by walt (Post 1012079)
Delays the game and is totally unnecessary no matter what happened.

How does this delay the game? A foul has been called. It has to be reported, the players have to get lined up. We can't retrieve the ball in that time?

jeremy341a Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 1012074)
I didn't see the play, but maybe JRut can post a clip in this thread.

I know that I'm in the minority in saying that I don't believe that spiking the ball is an automatic T. If a player is angry with the official, or "celebrating" in front of an opponent, then that's obviously unsporting and gets a T.

But if the player is frustrated with himself or something similar, I don't see why that should get a T. It doesn't seem unsporting to me. It doesn't delay the game.

So for me, it really depends on the context of the spike.

I have not seen the play. Why did he spike it here? He got the foul call and made the bucket. He has no reason to be upset with himself or the official.

walt Thu Nov 30, 2017 02:09pm

https://youtu.be/2RrvGmM8VSU

It happens at the 1:35 mark. Again, to me, this is a no-brainer. After the foul call, he appears to either look right at the official who made the call, or in the general direction of the fouler, and spikes the ball hard. Easy call and no hesitation from the Lead.

As for the delay, a ball spiked that hard could go anywhere. Granted in those arenas, they have plenty of people to retrieve the ball quickly.

Scrapper1 Thu Nov 30, 2017 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by walt (Post 1012109)

Thank you for posting. I hate to say it, but I kind of agree with the announcer. It doesn't look like an anger slam or a protest slam. It looks more like a "YES!!!" slam.

But it also looks like he takes a quick peek at the opponent and I can totally understand why the official would think that it was unsporting.

ODog Thu Nov 30, 2017 09:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 1012118)
I hate to say it, but I kind of agree with the announcer. It doesn't look like an anger slam or a protest slam. It looks more like a "YES!!!" slam.

This is where I come in. Definitely not a slam in a taunting fashion or to demonstrate disgust/resentment toward the official. Just a tension-relief semi-jubilation slam.

bucky Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 1012077)
I'd call it in a 3rd grade rec game.

I would not here. I'd have a one-on-one with the player though and explain that we do not behave that way. At that age, the quick chat is more effective than a T, something they would not even understand.:p

Camron Rust Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 1012139)
This is where I come in. Definitely not a slam in a taunting fashion or to demonstrate disgust/resentment toward the official. Just a tension-relief semi-jubilation slam.

Agree...nothing but maybe a suggestion to him to just give it to an official.