The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Continued fallout from a past incident (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/10314-continued-fallout-past-incident.html)

rainmaker Tue Oct 07, 2003 07:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by just another ref
Mother of all conflict of interest stories? No big deal.
I call 'em like I see 'em and as long as both sides complain some, (they did) I feel like everything is all right, or as all right as it can be in this business.

I wasn't doubting your integrity for a second. I was just wondering what the further away principal was thinking. I also appreciate the explanation of how your assignments are given. I just couldn't tell what the whole set-up was.

And I agree that this Principal Prickly shouldn't be dictating who does which games. I would think that with a conflict this long-standing, there should be some kind of outside interference, such as from his school board, or some higher up in your ref structure to try to resolve the issue, and deal with his attitude. This guy has a serious problem.

ChuckElias Tue Oct 07, 2003 08:16am

Checking in kind of early this morning, Juulie! :)

A Pennsylvania Coach Tue Oct 07, 2003 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Isn't it sad that the focus has been taken off the kids and THEIR game because some idiot doesn't like a certain ref? He has spent almost a years worth of hate on this one incident. Sounds like a great role model.
I'd get out but get paid. Wouldn't want this a$$ to ruin the game for the players.
BTW.. If you pull your kids off the floor in Michigan, for any reason, you'd get some kind of punishment.

If I decided not to play a game because of who the official was, I'd probably be fired before our bus got back to the school.

just another ref Tue Oct 07, 2003 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
[If I decided not to play a game because of who the official was, I'd probably be fired before our bus got back to the school. [/B]

This is exactly what I thought. The local principal said he really needed to play the game at all cost. "What if this guy really does put his people back on the bus and leaves. What do we do about the parents here who came to see a game?"

On the flipside, how would you like to be the other principal and explain to your kids' parents. "We didn't play because we didn't like one of the officials."

I was certain that the guy was bluffing. But, at the game last night my replacement ( the guy from 60 miles away) was a few minutes late and it was mentioned that I was originally scheduled but a change had been made that morning. Now it turns out the hostile principal was not at the game, but at the mention of my name the coach raised an eyebrow and commented that he was glad of the change or
"....we could not have stayed and played." Apparently he had been given instructions on this matter. My concerns for myself here are minimal. Imagine having to deal with this guy on a daily basis. One would have to guess that this is not the only thing he has carried to an extreme.

rainmaker Tue Oct 07, 2003 02:55pm

Quote:

My concerns for myself here are minimal. Imagine having to deal with this guy on a daily basis. One would have to guess that this is not the only thing he has carried to an extreme.
What school board could possibly put up with this guy? I cannot imagine.

BTW, what's the significance of your sig line? I don't get it... "Scientific fact: One acre of two and a half bale cotton is equal to, uh, uh, a whole bunch of basketball games."

just another ref Tue Oct 07, 2003 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker

BTW, what's the significance of your sig line? I don't get it... "Scientific fact: One acre of two and a half bale cotton is equal to, uh, uh, a whole bunch of basketball games."

It's a money reference. I farm for a living (if you can call this living) and I referee to keep from being burdened with having too many friends. The two and a half bale thing means that this is the first outstanding crop I have had in a long time and I am still overwhelmed by it.

mick Tue Oct 07, 2003 03:36pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by just another ref
Quote:

It's a money reference. I farm for a living (if you can call this living) and I referee to keep from being burdened with having too many friends. The two and a half bale thing means that this is the first outstanding crop I have had in a long time and I am still overwhelmed by it.
Good goin', justa!
Work is supposed to pay more than play, even if you are your own boss.
mick

Dan_ref Tue Oct 07, 2003 03:43pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
[
[/i]

...I referee to keep from being burdened with having too many friends...

[/B]
:D

I think Juulie's gonna need you to explain that one too!
(Get in touch with your masculine side Juulie, your masculine side ;) )

btw justa, congrats on this summer's work

JeffTheRef Tue Oct 07, 2003 06:45pm

This is simple.

By way of background, I assign several thousand games each season, but you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. Did the assignment come from an assignor? The principla should have had the brains to tell the AD to call the assignor. Period. Let them work it out. All you need hear from the assignor - who probably shouldn't have put you in the game in the first place - is that you're going to do a different game tomorrow. It's ludicrously late for the issue to come up, but you're not dealing with motor scooter scientists.

JRutledge Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:05am

I had a situation happen to me similar to this about 6 or 7 years ago. I had an Principal try to get me off a conference tournament game that happen to be held at his school. To make a long story short, I did not do the game. I had someone do the game in my place (we switched games) and it worked out for the best. I would have like to have done the game I was scheduled, but it would have been a no win situation.

The ironic thing, I ended up doing a game at this school about a year later (the head coach needed a replacement). My partner and I were asked to cover the game and this principal did not say much of anything to me. I wanted to, but I stayed professional.

I guess this time has already passed, but chalk it up to experience and move on. You just will know what to do when screwy situations happen the next time.

Peace

rainmaker Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:56am

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
The ironic thing, I ended up doing a game at this school about a year later (the head coach needed a replacement). My partner and I were asked to cover the game and this principal did not say much of anything to me. I wanted to, but I stayed professional.
Jeff -- This just proves my belief that you are a great ref. Staying professional is absolutely the best way to handle this -- something I'm still working on. Also, I like your new signature line.

rainmaker Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

...I referee to keep from being burdened with having too many friends...
I think Juulie's gonna need you to explain that one too!
(Get in touch with your masculine side Juulie, your masculine side ;) )

Dan -- I'm working on it, but at this time in life, the estrogen thing is really more in control.

Justa -- My folks live in the mid-west, and know many farmers who struggle mightily. Congrats on making a tough situation into a victory. May all your efforts be as successful!