The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 24, 1999, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I do not understand what a moving screen violation is or even if there is such a thing. I know that there used to be one mentioned from time to time. I understand the block/charge rule, but, in the screen, the roles are reversed. My question is: is the same rule in effect as in the block/charge rule as pertains to contact? Also, is there ever a violation when there is no contact(hence, the moving screen violation?) In summation, would someone please explain the rule on screening.

Old Sun Oct 24, 1999, 02:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Here's the short answer. No - there is no such violation as a moving screen violation. In fact, I had a game yesterday where a player was moving in front of the ball handler and the defenders were "getting out of the way", but there was no contact. There is a foul call however, if there is illegal contact. I'll let someone else explain all the intricacies of the foul for an illegal screen.
Old Sun Oct 24, 1999, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Mark's correct. In fact, a "moving screen" can even be a legal maneuver: "The screener must be stationary, except when both are moving in the same path and the same direction." [4-39-2c] If contact occurs because the "legal moving screener" slows up or stops, the opponent is responsible. [4-39-6]

Some other important points about screening [4-39]:

- When screening a moving opponent, the screener must allow the opponent time and distance to avoid contact, though no more than two steps.

- When screening a stationary opponent from the front or behind, he can be anywhere short of contact.

- When screening a stationary opponent from behind, he must give the opponent one normal step to avoid contact.
Old Sun Oct 24, 1999, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Ralph,
About 90% of high school varisty games in the state of Arkansas are using 3 man mechanics. Therefore, there are 3 pairs of eyes on the court and at least one pair is watching "off-ball" play. A typical foul is an off ball foul for illegal contact when an offensive player attempts to set an off ball pick (screen) and slides (moves)laterally into the opposing player and most of the time with arms up and elbows out.
Read and understand Rule 4 Section 39 of the Rule Book and screening contact (10.6.3) in the Case Book.
Like the the block/charge call, the illegal screen call you mention is usually a bam-bam
play and can happen in a blink of an eye. The call is usually a block call (S7) or sometimes a push call (S10).
The most critical time for me is when I am moving down court with a fast break and B1 moves up behind A1 who has his/her back to B1 to catch a long pass. Time and distance are relevant. Be ready to make the right call. Good luck.
Old Sun Oct 24, 1999, 11:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Here is the illegal screen I see all the time, yet it's not called enough (in my opinion). On an inbounding play under the inbounding team's basket, an offensive player (sometimes two!) set picks to free someone to catch the inbound pass. The problem is - they set these screens by coming up from behind a defender and making contact into the defender's back. Watch for it - I can almost guarantee you will see it in your next game.
Old Mon Oct 25, 1999, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Mark,
Good one. I see it all the time. If the screen is not in the visual area of the defender time and distance is in play. And in your example for sure if contact is made. Keep that Fox 40 ready! Gary
Old Mon Oct 25, 1999, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Question

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Marshall on 10-25-1999 09:58 AM
Mark,
Good one. I see it all the time. If the screen is not in the visual area of the defender time and distance is in play. And in your example for sure if contact is made. Keep that Fox 40 ready! Gary

Gary, when you have this illegal screening foul by the offensive player, what do you call it? You can't report it as a block and it really isn't a push. There is no signal for an illegal screen. What's it called? Also, thanks for your response; I understand the situation better now, Ralph.
Old Mon Oct 25, 1999, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal on 10-25-1999 07:13 PM
Gary, when you have this illegal screening foul by the offensive player, what do you call it? You can't report it as a block and it really isn't a push. There is no signal for an illegal screen. What's it called? Also, thanks for your response; I understand the situation better now, Ralph.

It actually is a block.

"Blocking is illegal personal contact which impedes the progress of an opponent."