The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Response to player protests (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102950-response-player-protests.html)

scrounge Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 1010319)
How many of you are going to say “Good” when Jerry Jones suspends a player who kneels during the anthem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see why those thoughts would be in conflict. An official failing to uphold professional standards isn't the same as an employer imposing them.

JRutledge Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:09am

Quote:

How many of you are going to say “Good” when Jerry Jones suspends a player who kneels during the anthem?

First of all different relationship. Secondly, I would do what was suggested by a SportsCenter Anchor and boycott just about everything that man had something to do with. He has no problem taking a position to have others that have actually been accused of violating the law and signing them, but he is worried about the flag and something that is not mandated by the league? Funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Officials are not in a role where we do anything but call the game. If you are offended by everything that goes on around that game, then stay home.

Peace

BryanV21 Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:14am

Quote:

You expect me to side with that man? Lol

Besides, it's our job.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Rich Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:28am

Quote:

I'm not. I support them doing what they feel is right.

Officials are different. We aren't there to take sides or to show how we feel personally. People always think we're not impartial to begin with.

Our job mandates we be neutral and focused on the job at hand.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:11am

Quote:

You are trying to equate apples and oranges.

The players' pregame actions have nothing to do with the official's pregame duties. If one does not want to officiate a game in which students may make such demonstration then the official should not accept the assignment.

MTD, Sr.

Jqb12 Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:17am

Kelvin Green...............great post man!

JRutledge Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:20am

For the record, I have been involved in many conservative political displays before games. Just the fact that we do a national anthem before games are political in nature. I mostly like it when we just play the darn game and move on. I have never considered walking out when something is said politically that I might not agree with or support normally. That is not the place or the time to show where I stand politically. I have worked a game at a school that had the Confederate Flag as part of their mascot and this was in the 90s. I did not walk out or not officiate the game when that stupid flag was displayed or offensive to me. I worked the game and moved on.

Peace

WhistlesAndStripes Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1010342)
For the record, I have been involved in many conservative political displays before games. Just the fact that we do a national anthem before games are political in nature. I mostly like it when we just play the darn game and move on. I have never considered walking out when something is said politically that I might not agree with or support normally. That is not the place or the time to show where I stand politically. I have worked a game at a school that had the Confederate Flag as part of their mascot and this was in the 90s. I did not walk out or not officiate the game when that stupid flag was displayed or offensive to me. I worked the game and moved on.

Peace

Didn’t you already tell us this once before in this thread?

JRutledge Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 1010343)
Didn’t you already tell us this once before in this thread?

Probably and will do it again for people that think everything is about their political views. ;)

Peace

Rich Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:37am

Response to player protests

I'll say it over and over again, too. I support any player who wishes to express him or herself in this way at any level.

As an official it's none of my damned business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SC Official Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:49am

Quote:

That’s his right as an employer to do that. Whether or not I agree with it is a different discussion. In their capacity as NFL players, the First Amendment doesn’t protect them from their employer’s backlash.

Just like how the First Amendment doesn’t shield us in our officiating role if we do something like this.

Ultimately, your comparison is a false equivalency.

Raymond Thu Oct 19, 2017 01:18pm

Quote:

If that player leaves the stadium b/c his teammates stood for the national anthem, then you might have a point that makes sense.

Raymond Thu Oct 19, 2017 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1010342)

Peace

One of my associations not only works games at Lee-Davis High School, whose nickname is the Confederates, we hold our monthly meetings there also.

And we still show up and so what is required.

Altor Thu Oct 19, 2017 08:10pm

I think I shared this story here last year when this topic came up.

Many years ago it was pointed out to me to take a quick look around the stands at a NCAA D-III football game hosted by a private Mennonite college. There were a few families who did not stand during the anthem. I asked about it and the person said that as Mennonites, they felt such a display was akin to idol worship and they refused to participate. In fact, the administration at the school in question debated dropping the anthem from all of their activities for the same reason.

These people weren't sitting around talking and laughing like some of the student sections I've seen. They were respectfully sitting with their heads bowed (possibly praying). I told the person that I respect their beliefs and that is part of what the flag and the anthem represent...the ability to not participate in something we disagreed with.

Fast forward a decade or two and we have this issue as a national conversation. Even though I might disagree with their reasons, I would be an absolute hypocrite if I did not ignore those that respectfully kneel in the same way I effectively ignore the Mennonites in the stands praying for our souls.

RefsNCoaches Fri Oct 20, 2017 08:29am

Here are a couple stories from the last week out of Indiana...

In this one, Volleyball ref threaten's players with DQ if they protest.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...sts/775480001/

In this story, a former Air Force Vet, now HS Official, broke contract by walking out at the start of contest over players kneeling and has had his license suspended.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ing/780708001/