The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2017-18 NFHS Error(s) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102904-2017-18-nfhs-error-s.html)

SC Official Wed Sep 06, 2017 09:03pm

2017-18 NFHS Error(s)

Find the error! (I do believe the FED still expects this to be ruled a TC foul.)

4.19.7 Situation D, page 29 of 2017-18 Case Book

A1 has the ball for a throw in. The throw-in pass deflects off of A2. As A2 and B2 are attempting to retrieve the loose throw-in pass, A2 illegally pushes B2 from behind and the action is ruled a foul. Team B is in the bonus. RULING: Team A is in control during this throw in, therefore a team-control foul has been committed. B2 is awarded a throw in at a spot closest to where the foul occurred.

crosscountry55 Wed Sep 06, 2017 09:29pm

It's a correct interpretation/end result IMO, though as usual the case play wording could be better. The TI ended when the ball was legally touched, so you can't really say "Team A is in control during this throw in" in defense of your ruling. Something along the lines of, "a loose ball remains in control of the team that last had player control" would have at least been closer to the truth.

Without having my rule book in front of me, I think the definition of team control is a little wanting in that gray area between when the TI ends and player control is established inbounds (when such a gap occurs).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nevadaref Thu Sep 07, 2017 04:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1008998)
It's a correct interpretation/end result IMO, though as usual the case play wording could be better. The TI ended when the ball was legally touched, so you can't really say "Team A is in control during this throw in" in defense of your ruling. Something along the lines of, "a loose ball remains in control of the team that last had player control" would have at least been closer to the truth.

Without having my rule book in front of me, I think the definition of team control is a little wanting in that gray area between when the TI ends and player control is established inbounds (when such a gap occurs).

Not unclear at all. Spelled out perfectly in 4-19-7.
"...or by a member of the throw-in team from the start of the throw-in until player control is obtained inbounds."

crosscountry55 Thu Sep 07, 2017 04:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1009003)
Not unclear at all. Spelled out perfectly in 4-19-7.

"...or by a member of the throw-in team from the start of the throw-in until player control is obtained inbounds."

Well there you go! Thanks Nevada. So it's inaccurate to say that team control exists during the the throw in in defense of this ruling, but it IS accurate to say that a team control foul occurs when a foul is committed by a member of the throw-in team from the start of the throw-in until player control is obtained inbounds."

SC Official Thu Sep 07, 2017 09:20am

I know that this play is a TC foul by rule. My qualm, if you will, is the typical shoddy NFHS justification.

HokiePaul Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:19am

All the additional justification seems unnecessary to me. A deflection on a throw in is neither of the 3 below. Therefore team control continues.

ART. 3 . . . Team control continues until:
a. The ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.
b. An opponent secures control.
c. The ball becomes dead.

SC Official Thu Sep 07, 2017 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 1009012)
All the additional justification seems unnecessary to me. A deflection on a throw in is neither of the 3 below. Therefore team control continues.

ART. 3 . . . Team control continues until:
a. The ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.
b. An opponent secures control.
c. The ball becomes dead.

Yes, team control still continues for foul purposes even when the TI pass is deflected. But the TI ended on that deflection, so saying "Team A is in control during this throw in" is, in this context, inaccurate as a justification for the ruling.

Team control for violation purposes does not begin until a player obtains control inbounds.

crosscountry55 Thu Sep 07, 2017 09:15pm

Hey, differences of opinion aside, I'm just glad there have been a few new topics posted on this forum lately. My goodness has it ever been slow lately. Rich....are you still even alive? [emoji6]

First meeting in just under three weeks here. About time. The post-summer lull has been exceptionally boring this year.

Camron Rust Fri Sep 08, 2017 01:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1009029)
Hey, differences of opinion aside, I'm just glad there have been a few new topics posted on this forum lately. My goodness has it ever been slow lately. Rich....are you still even alive? [emoji6]

First meeting in just under three weeks here. About time. The post-summer lull has been exceptionally boring this year.

This is about as slow as I think I've ever seen it at this time of year.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Sep 08, 2017 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1009030)
This is about as slow as I think I've ever seen it at this time of year.

I agree. This is the first time since I have retired from my real life profession that my laziness has spilled over to this Forum. I have just sat back and read the comments by others instead.

I have done some commenting on the Baseball and Softball Forums but that was actually Mark, Jr., commenting by proxy through me because he was doing an engineering co-op this Summer as well as taking an EE class at night.

Well, I have seen the "better half" of to work, had breakfast, read the newspaper, checked my email, checked in here, so it is time for me to take my post-breakfast nap in preparation for my pre-lunch nap.

Have a great weekend everyone and go YSU Penguins and The OSU Buckeyes!

MTD, Sr.

Mark Padgett Fri Sep 08, 2017 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1009032)

Have a great weekend everyone and go YSU Peguins and The OSU Buckeyes!

MTD, Sr.

I found out what a "Peguin" is -

Verb. peguin: third-person plural present subjunctive form of pegar; third-person plural imperative form of pegar.

Kind of a strange nickname for a college sports team.

Amesman Fri Sep 08, 2017 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1009032)
Well, I have seen the "better half" of to work, had breakfast, read the newspaper, checked my email, checked in here, so it is time for me to take my post-breakfast nap in preparation for my pre-lunch nap.

I want to be

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., Official Forum Member

when I grow up, er, older.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Sep 08, 2017 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 1009033)
I found out what a "Peguin" is -

Verb. peguin: third-person plural present subjunctive form of pegar; third-person plural imperative form of pegar.

Kind of a strange nickname for a college sports team.

I corrected the spelling. That is what I get for posting from my Kindle in the middle of the night.

MTD, Sr.

Mark Padgett Fri Sep 08, 2017 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1009037)
I corrected the spelling. That is what I get for posting from my Kindle in the middle of the night.

MTD, Sr.

Mark - I hope you know I was only teasing. I would never try to embarrass anyone named "Mark". :)