The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 30, 2017, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS throw in question

Full disclosure: This is from the test. My state (Iowa) is open-book for the test, and they encourage you to print it and look up the answers. This question is throwing me for a loop, and I'm not sure that I've ever really thought about this. My hunch is that the answer is (a) before the throw-in ends but I cannot for the life of me find anything in the rulebook to support this.
Here is the question and everything I can find in the rulebook.

When the ball is awarded to the wrong team for a throw-in, in order for it to be corrected, it must be rectified:
a. Before the throw-in ends.
b. Before the ball is handed to the thrower.
c. Before the ball is bounced to the thrower.
d. Before the ball is released by the thrower.
e. Before the official blows the whistle.

I can only find 4-41 that talks about throw ins and it doesn't say anything about awarding it to the wrong team. I don't think this would be covered under correctable errors in 2-10-1. Anybody able to point me where I should be looking?
Old Mon Oct 30, 2017, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 7-6-6
Old Mon Oct 30, 2017, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

HINTS:

Rule 7 deals with throw-ins. And, more specifically, rule 7-6 deals with throw-in administration.

Finally, some of the answers can be found in the case book.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2017, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, guys. That's exactly what I was looking for.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2017, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Take a look at 7-6-6. I hope it's the same in this year's Rules Book. I only have my older 15-16 book with me.
". . . When an official administers a throw-in to the wrong team, the mistake must be rectified before the throw-in ends."
Old Mon Oct 30, 2017, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I just received access to the NFHS app rule book-- my state must've paid for all of us to have it. Holy crap is it awesome. You can search any word or phrase and it will pull up all corresponding rules. I highly recommend shelling out whatever it costs to get it so you don't have to root through the entire book looking for obscure answers!!
Old Mon Oct 30, 2017, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I just received access to the NFHS app rule book-- my state must've paid for all of us to have it. Holy crap is it awesome. You can search any word or phrase and it will pull up all corresponding rules. I highly recommend shelling out whatever it costs to get it so you don't have to root through the entire book looking for obscure answers!!
I recommend the apps but i also recommend reading the rules and case boo over and over and over again. The more you do the less obscure the answers. good luck to all this year.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2017, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

A1 is given the ball for a throw-in when it should be Team B's ball. A1 releases the ball and it is immediately kicked by B2. At this point, who get the throw-in?
Old Mon Oct 30, 2017, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
A1 is given the ball for a throw-in when it should be Team B's ball. A1 releases the ball and it is immediately kicked by B2. At this point, who get the throw-in?
Did the throw in end? The throw in was violated by team B. Still team A ball unless recognized before throw in ends. I could be wrong!?

My question would be who gets the arrow?
Old Tue Oct 31, 2017, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
Did the throw in end? The throw in was violated by team B. Still team A ball unless recognized before throw in ends. I could be wrong!?

My question would be who gets the arrow?
Arrow?

Well, if it should have been an AP throw in, A still gets the ball because of the kick. Since we're under the presumption that the wrong team had the ball for the throwin, the arrow would have been pointing to B. Thus, B never got the deserved throwin. The arrow remains with B. Even if there were no error on teh throwin, there would be no switch.