The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Out of bounds ruling? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102666-out-bounds-ruling.html)

J7V3M Wed May 17, 2017 07:47pm

Out of bounds ruling?

Was playing a pick up game and came across a situation where there were differing views on the play. Hoping someone here can set me straight.

I ran to save a ball from going out of bounds at was successful at tossing it back in before going out of bounds. The ball bounced off a member of the other team and back in to my hands while I was still out of bounds. Who's ball should it be?

I believe in the NBA, that it would be considered the other teams ball since it touched me last... even though I was out of bounds.

In the NCAA and high school ball, it's the opposite call, right? The ball should go to my team since the opposing team knocked it out regardless of whether I was there.

Help!?!

crosscountry55 Wed May 17, 2017 07:55pm

You're overthinking it. The ball wasn't OOB until it touched you...because you were OOB. You caused it to be out. So it's the other team's ball. If it had touched the floor OOB first, that would be a different story.

There is no difference to this ruling in any rule set in the world.

However, thank you for posting something about an actual play. It has been a while. I hate the off-season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J7V3M Wed May 17, 2017 08:00pm

Gotcha!
Thanks for the quick response!

Freddy Wed May 17, 2017 08:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1005914)
However, thank you for posting something about an actual play. It has been a while. I hate the off-season.

"There is no off-season, only pre-season"

GoogleDrive Link to "Yoda Ref"

BillyMac Wed May 17, 2017 10:23pm

Let's Do The Time Warp Again ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by J7V3M (Post 1005913)
The ball should go to my team since the opposing team knocked it out regardless of whether I was there.

Back in ancient times, if this were a throwin play (which it isn't), the throwin team would lose the ball because the inbounder "caused" the ball to go out of bounds because the inbounder threw the ball off an opponent who was out of bounds.

It always amazes me that some vestige of this ancient rule, in one form, or another, hangs around even though the rule changed over thirty years ago.

AremRed Wed May 17, 2017 11:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 1005916)
"There is no off-season, only pre-season"

GoogleDrive Link to "Yoda Ref"

Wtf Freddy that might be the worst meme I've ever seen. :D

so cal lurker Thu May 18, 2017 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1005917)
Back in ancient times, if this were a throwin play (which it isn't), the throwin team would lose the ball because the inbounder "caused" the ball to go out of bounds because the inbounder threw the ball off an opponent who was out of bounds.

It always amazes me that some vestige of this ancient rule, in one form, or another, hangs around even though the rule changed over thirty years ago.

What is ancient times? And what rule set?

That frankly doesn't make much sense as an opponent should not be out of bounds on an inbound play. (Are you sure you aren't crossing this with the ball touching an out of bounds teammate, which would be a violation on the inbounder for not throwing the ball into play?)

Amesman Thu May 18, 2017 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1005918)

Curse you, AremRed. I got a grin out of Freddy's line but didn't click on the meme until you wrote this. Now my eyes hurt. :eek:

Altor Thu May 18, 2017 10:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1005920)
(Are you sure you aren't crossing this with the ball touching an out of bounds teammate, which would be a violation on the inbounder for not throwing the ball into play?)

What BillyMac was describing was an interpretation of the rule you cite. Say the inbounder threw the ball across the court (we aren't talking about a defender on the same sideline or endline as the throw-in spot) and the defense touched the ball while OOB. The ruling was this was a throw-in violation for not throwing the ball directly into play and was not an OOB violation on the defense.

Camron Rust Thu May 18, 2017 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 1005923)
What BillyMac was describing was an interpretation of the rule you cite. Say the inbounder threw the ball across the court (we aren't talking about a defender on the same sideline or endline as the throw-in spot) and the defense touched the ball while OOB. The ruling was this was a throw-in violation for not throwing the ball directly into play and was not an OOB violation on the defense.

Yes, that was the an "interpretation" of the rule for 1-2 years.....a very bad interpretation too.

so cal lurker Thu May 18, 2017 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1005924)
Yes, that was the an "interpretation" of the rule for 1-2 years.....a very bad interpretation too.

Interesting. And mind boggling.

Freddy Thu May 18, 2017 04:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1005918)

Hey, that took me four hours at work to do.

BillyMac Thu May 18, 2017 06:37pm

Am I Right Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1005920)
What is ancient times? And what rule set?

Early 1980's. NFHS.

so cal lurker Fri May 19, 2017 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1005943)
Early 1980's. NFHS.

Interesting. May have been in effect while I was playing. Did a coach get Td up every time it was applied?

Camron Rust Fri May 19, 2017 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1005943)
Early 1980's. NFHS.

I thought it was in the 90s....after I started officiating.