The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 06, 2017, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

This type of commentary is directed at the lay-person {viz. non-official} with the intention of calling to their attention several equally but less obvious factors that also contributed to said game's "choppy flow" . That audience was provided with explanations --if not altogether consolement---for their displeasure.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Thu Apr 06, 2017 at 10:20pm. Reason: spelling
Old Thu Apr 06, 2017, 10:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopologist View Post
Without comment on Kevin's position one way or the other .. does he understand that fouls and violations are different and that one shows up in the box score while another doesn't?

Does he understand the conundrum of watching Big10 basketball all season, wading through the tournament, getting to the last game, and having that game called like Harvard vs. Yale?

I don't blame the crew and every call seemed justifiable. And the job is to call the game. And I know every game is or should be approached in the same way. That said, this was a national championship game not Chaminade vs Athletes In Action. And I'd have liked to see a little more discretion from the crew to let these guys determine the best of two finalists in the nation.

What the hell are you trying to say here?

How about the tl;dr version?
Old Fri Apr 07, 2017, 09:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
And I'd have liked to see a little more discretion from the crew to let these guys determine the best of two finalists in the nation.
I guarantee you the officials called the game they were expected and hired to call.

That may be difficult for fans who want to have officials "let them play," but officials at all levels should understand that.
Old Sat Apr 08, 2017, 07:38am
Official & Member

Quote:
I don't blame the crew and every call seemed justifiable....And I'd have liked to see a little more discretion from the crew to let these guys determine the best of two finalists in the nation.
Comments like these make me laugh the hardest. Every call "seemed justified" yet the officials should "let these guys (players? Coaches?) determine...". Which fouls do you want ignored? Which violations should they ignore? Let the bigs beat the crap out of each other? Let the defense hack the sh*t out of the ball handler? Let 'em camp in the paint? Carry the ball? Shuffle their feet while holding the ball? Where, EXACTLY, should the discretion be exercised?

These are the same people that are sitting there complaining that "if they don't get control of the game, somebody is going to get hurt".

This crew did a phenomenal job. Two physical, talented teams going right at each other for 40 minutes. I'd venture to guess their evaluation was stellar.
Old Sat Apr 08, 2017, 02:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I think Colin Cowherd was replaced by a clone. The clone was trained by Ken Mauer.
Old Mon Apr 10, 2017, 04:25pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
That said, this was a national championship game not Chaminade vs Athletes In Action. And I'd have liked to see a little more discretion from the crew to let these guys determine the best of two finalists in the nation.
Maybe if they had played like Chaminade vs AIA, the game would have been called that way. These teams both played very physical basketball, and the defense was ratcheted up to a very high level...that crew did an excellent job officiating the game that was on the court that night.