The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 03:00am
I got a Basketball Jones!

John Wall thinks he isn’t getting the calls he should. It’s pushing him to the edge.

Wapo article marked as 'Analysis' at
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.55473d069c4b

I couldn't restrain myself for posting the following comment, using every one of the 2000 characters akkowed...
++++++++++++++

Apologies in advance for this long winded post.....

Speaking from the perspective of an officiating background and family members on the inside, I have a few choice comments in general and one in particular.....

Officials DO NOT CARE who wins the game..........
There are only 3 people in the entire arena who do not have any emotional investment in the outcome, the game officials. Its just their job and if they were lacking competency, judgement and people skills there are many vying to take their place.
There are cameras covering every square inch and multiple angles of most NBA arenas and the game officials are subject to constant performance evaluations from their peers and management. This oversight applies to each and every call, whistle and no-call throughout the season.

2-NBA officials are at the pinnacle of excellence in their profession, but still sentient human beings. Learning to approach them calmly, and in a respectable manner earns their mutual respect.

As a reaction to the Tim Donaghy aberration, the NBA has strived to inject a degree of transparency such as making game officials available for post game, on-the-record comments.
The most public, but least known is the "NBA OFFICIATING LAST TWO MINUTE REPORT", found at Officiating.com.
This report, available within 24 hours, details the following...
"Below is the league’s assessment of officiated events that occurred in the last two minutes of last night’s games which were within five points at the two-minute mark (and during overtime, where applicable)."

These reports grade all calls and no-calls in the last two minutes that take place in subject games, including a video clip of the event in question.
It is truly enlightening to see these analyses.

John Wall, you need to cultivate the easy-going, jocular manner you exhibit toward officials during pre-season scrimmages. That would go a long way to eliminating the TFs that result from your blow-ups.
Respect begets respect!!!