The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Goaltending ... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102429-goaltending.html)

BillyMac Sun Mar 19, 2017 05:36am

Goaltending ???

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ekPYX_Pee84" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NFHS question: What if a defensive player did this, but while the ball was on it's upward flight, outside of the cylinder?

I know that it's illegal for the ball to go through the basket from below, but what about a player's hand going through the basket from below on an otherwise legal blocked shot play.

diehardmason Sun Mar 19, 2017 06:09am

NFHS question: What if a defensive player did this, but while the ball was on it's upward flight, outside of the cylinder?

I know that it's illegal for the ball to go through the basket from below, but what about a player's hand going through the basket from below on an otherwise legal blocked shot play (realizing that the play in the video may not have been legal).[/QUOTE]

I would think that going through the goal for a block attempt is illegal and regardless of the ball's status up or down during flight is irrelevant. I just read through the rule book and case book and haven't found anything but will continue to look.

BillyMac Sun Mar 19, 2017 07:11am

Basket Interference ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1002830)
NFHS question: What if a defensive player did this, but while the ball was on it's upward flight, outside of the cylinder? I know that it's illegal for the ball to go through the basket from below, but what about a player's hand going through the basket from below on an otherwise legal blocked shot play.

Found it. It's not goaltending, it's basket interference.

NFHS 4-6: Basket interference occurs when a player:
ART. 1 Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while
the ball is on or within either basket.
ART. 2 Touches the ball while any part of the ball is within the imaginary
cylinder which has the basket ring as its lower base.
ART. 3 Touches the ball outside the cylinder while reaching through the
basket from below.

ART. 4 Pulls down a movable ring so that it contacts the ball before the
ring returns to its original position.

ronny mulkey Sun Mar 19, 2017 08:10am

After seeing the NCAA's statement on this missed call, what are the ramifications to the officials on the game?

crosscountry55 Sun Mar 19, 2017 08:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronny mulkey (Post 1002839)
After seeing the NCAA's statement on this missed call, what are the ramifications to the officials on the game?

One would have to imagine that T and C may not be working next weekend. They are probably painfully aware of that as well.

Unfortunate miss, but the NCAA tournament is an officiating glass house, and officials understand the accountability involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob jenkins Sun Mar 19, 2017 08:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1002836)
Found it. It's not goaltending, it's basket interference.

It's BI in NCAA as well.

You should know that the terms are interchangeable to the announcers and just look in both when you have a question about what they are saying.

AremRed Sun Mar 19, 2017 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1002840)
One would have to imagine that T and C may not be working next weekend.

Let's hope not! Both of those officials are Final Four quality having worked the Elite Eight in recent years.

crosscountry55 Sun Mar 19, 2017 09:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1002845)
Let's hope not! Both of those officials are Final Four quality having worked the Elite Eight in recent years.

So is Doug Sirmons. And that weird OOB call that was not on his line doomed him last year. Normally he's a shoe-in final four official.

But I understand your sentiment and I agree with you in that context.

Rich Sun Mar 19, 2017 09:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1002845)

You know, there's gotta be SOME criteria for JD Collins to use to narrow the field from Week 1 to Week 2 to the Final Four.

Why shouldn't it be a missed call that decides such a thing?

Those guys know what's at stake. They sign on for it.

deecee Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1002847)
You know, there's gotta be SOME criteria for JD Collins to use to narrow the field from Week 1 to Week 2 to the Final Four.

Why shouldn't it be a missed call that decides such a thing?

Those guys know what's at stake. They sign on for it.

I agree. There are plenty of "Final Four" officials to choose from. IOW there are more than 6 guys that can work those 2 games.

ronny mulkey Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:22am

Do they public with the decision? Or, do you just not see them around any longer?

crosscountry55 Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronny mulkey (Post 1002854)
Do they public with the decision? Or, do you just not see them around any longer?

I think there is a press release sent out after the regional finals on the pool of officials who make the final four (floors + alternates listed in one group). In other words, you find out who didn't make it that way, too.

I don't think there's a similar press release sent after the first weekend.

Adam Sun Mar 19, 2017 01:41pm

I doubt they'll say "Bob and Steve would have made it, but they missed that one call so we are sending Tim and John instead."

You'll just see who makes it and who doesn't.

Rich Sun Mar 19, 2017 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 1002861)
I doubt they'll say "Bob and Steve would have made it, but they missed that one call so we are sending Tim and John instead."

You'll just see who makes it and who doesn't.

And frankly that system would be far better than one where they use the "he went last year, why not take him again" one that isn't nonexistent in the officiating world.

Adam Sun Mar 19, 2017 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1002862)
And frankly that system would be far better than one where they use the "he went last year, why not take him again" one that isn't nonexistent in the officiating world.

I'm sure it'll be taken into account: it's only one call, and it was tough to see in real time, but as you noted, that's how it works when officials have to be narrowed down in some way. It's going to be the little things that separate them. Hopefully the L doesn't suffer along with them.