The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Anything More? Free Throw Box Out (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102428-anything-more-free-throw-box-out.html)

SCalScoreKeeper Sun Mar 19, 2017 03:47am

Anything More? Free Throw Box Out

Tonight was regional finals night here. Next Fri/Sat are state finals. Go to 1:06:30 on this broadcast. Anyone on the board have anything different than what was called on the floor? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zDW1S1-uf80

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zDW1S1-uf80" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

crosscountry55 Sun Mar 19, 2017 06:22am

Nope. Crew handled it exactly by the book.

Flagrant? Meh. Worth a discussion but I'm happy with what they decided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deecee Sun Mar 19, 2017 06:22am

I would have the same call.

diehardmason Sun Mar 19, 2017 06:55am

Same call. Pretty straight forward. Im good with the flagrant. Picking the kid up and attempting to hip toss him had zero basketball intent.

A Pennsylvania Coach Sun Mar 19, 2017 07:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by diehardmason (Post 1002835)
Same call. Pretty straight forward. Im good with the flagrant. Picking the kid up and attempting to hip toss him had zero basketball intent.

This is not a flagrant foul and this crew didn't call it flagrant.

diehardmason Sun Mar 19, 2017 08:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 1002837)
This is not a flagrant foul and this crew didn't call it flagrant.

My mistake. Fast typing prior to a meeting. I meant to say intentional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODog Sun Mar 19, 2017 08:53am

This is OT, but SCalScoreKeeper, any insight as to why they are playing a state "Elite 8" game in that CYO gym? Pretty absurd setting for a game of that magnitude ... I don't care if it's Division I or Division V (or however it's done there).

bucky Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:21am

Where can officials get compression officiating shirts like the one the shortest ref was wearing?:rolleyes:

Yes, intentional foul.

Stat-Man Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:31am

(Disclaimer: I jumped to the 1:06:30 mark and didn't watch anything before or after this play)

If there had been past issues during the game or the officials chose to judge this foul to be more severe, I could be sold on a flagrant foul. That said, I felt that this foul was intentional at the very least. So, count me as part of the group satisfied with the call.

Also, good job by the officials to come in and get this right away before it could potentially escalate into something far worse.

SCalScoreKeeper Sun Mar 19, 2017 01:21pm

I couldn't believe CIF State would allow a regional final to be played in that gym. At the end of the game our broadcast crew was sweating like we were in a sauna. Basically what I was told was Notre Dame was playing that game in their gym unless CIF State intervened (Notre Dame was undefeated at home until last night. This was division 5 (our smallest class). Open and Division 1 used Cal State Long Beach, the other divisions used campus sites

Adam Sun Mar 19, 2017 01:40pm

#23 deserves props for just getting up and walking away.

If #35 had, in any way, been a problem up to that point, I'm tossing him. In isolation, I'm just going with an intentional foul.

bucky Sun Mar 19, 2017 01:57pm

How many of you would allow a player, such as #35 dark I believe, play with a piece of cotton-like material stuffed in his nose to prevent bleeding? Legal?

And how big of a piece do you allow? I have seen games where a sizable piece of gauze then exited a player's nostril and sits on the floor. Disgusting.

frezer11 Sun Mar 19, 2017 05:53pm

"...And the ref just gave him the bones!!!" Ha, nice line there.

I watched this twice wondering what they called before I realized I needed to be looking on the far lane line, but I agree with what Adam said earlier, if there had been any issue with this kid earlier that required me to talk him down, he's gone. Otherwise it's certainly intentional, I don't think I could justify a common foul here.

Altor Sun Mar 19, 2017 07:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1002864)
How many of you would allow a player, such as #35 dark I believe, play with a piece of cotton-like material stuffed in his nose to prevent bleeding? Legal?

Is that what it was? It looked like a mouth guard sticking out the side of his mouth to me.

Camron Rust Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1002864)

And how big of a piece do you allow? I have seen games where a sizable piece of gauze then exited a player's nostril and sits on the floor. Disgusting.

What rule would you use to disallow it?