The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAAM and NFHS: Jump Ball - 10 sec count (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102427-ncaam-nfhs-jump-ball-10-sec-count.html)

bucky Sat Mar 18, 2017 08:43pm

NCAAM and NFHS: Jump Ball - 10 sec count

Sorry, brain hurting and looking for quick response. Can someone direct me to a rule/case/mechanics book section that indicates who is responsible for the 10-second count when a team controls the jump ball in their BC? I have seen games where the R did it and others where the umpire, located in the controlling team's BC, did it.

AremRed Sat Mar 18, 2017 08:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1002808)
Sorry, brain hurting and looking for quick response. Can someone direct me to a rule/case/mechanics book section that indicates who is responsible for the 10-second count when a team controls the jump ball in their BC? I have seen games where the R did it and others where the umpire, located in the controlling team's BC, did it.

Which official is responsible for the BC count? The Trail. Which official is the new Trail after the jump ball? The Referee. Does that answer your question?

bucky Sat Mar 18, 2017 09:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1002809)
Which official is responsible for the BC count? The Trail. Which official is the new Trail after the jump ball? The Referee. Does that answer your question?

Not entirely as I was looking for the actual book section that indicated that the R had the count. Regarding your answer though, most of the time, the R counting works. I have seen some officials, however, who feel differently given the location of the ball in the BC.

For example, A1, gets control and is heavily guarded deep in Team A's BC in the corner on U2's side. Does U2 officiate the players or leave up court to assume the C position? Does U2 start the 10 second count? Does U2 officiate but the R start the 10 sec count? It seems counter-intuitive for U2 to leave the involved players and the same could be said for the R and the count. I have seen differing opinions on this and I am looking for documented clarification as to the correct way to handle it.

Thoughts?

Adam Sat Mar 18, 2017 09:55pm

The only mention I'm aware of is with who has the backcourt count (trail), and then in another section it tells us who the R is on the opening tip. Any deviation from that would need to be pregamed and agreed by all the officials, but I'm not aware of any official mechanic that allows for it.

I see nothing wrong with the R taking the count while the C stays back to cover the matchup until R can take it over.

Alternatively, they could pregame that the U2 would simply take the count and move into R. U1 would have to recognize and adjust.

APG Sun Mar 19, 2017 01:55am

NCAA-M uses the shot clock...so this is immaterial.

deecee Sun Mar 19, 2017 06:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by apg (Post 1002827)
ncaa-m uses the shot clock...so this is immaterial.

+1

bob jenkins Sun Mar 19, 2017 09:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1002812)
Not entirely as I was looking for the actual book section that indicated that the R had the count. Regarding your answer though, most of the time, the R counting works. I have seen some officials, however, who feel differently given the location of the ball in the BC.

For example, A1, gets control and is heavily guarded deep in Team A's BC in the corner on U2's side. Does U2 officiate the players or leave up court to assume the C position? Does U2 start the 10 second count? Does U2 officiate but the R start the 10 sec count? It seems counter-intuitive for U2 to leave the involved players and the same could be said for the R and the count. I have seen differing opinions on this and I am looking for documented clarification as to the correct way to handle it.

Thoughts?

There probably isn't any. Sometimes, you need to adjust the mechanics based on what happens with the jump. Most (90%) of the time, it's the R -- so that's what is in the mechanics. Sometimes, it's the U -- based on the location and the pressure.

But, whoever is the T has the count. The other officials need to adjust.

Rich Sun Mar 19, 2017 09:57am

We had a jump ball in a postseason game that went out of bounds after a few deflections on the backcourt endline. The U on that end went with the ball...and if it had been recovered in the backcourt, that U would've started the count and I would've become the C.

But that's 1 I remember in hundreds of games. Normally, the R has the count and the backcourt activity while the U becomes the C.

LRZ Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:36am

In my 2-ref experience, it is not unusual for a jump ball tap to go deep in one direction, and the U has to go with it. If the ball is recovered by the team going the other way, the two officials have quick eye contact, the R becomes the lead and the U becomes the T, with the count.