The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NFHS 5 second inbound count starting (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102422-nfhs-5-second-inbound-count-starting.html)

paulsonj72 Fri Mar 17, 2017 09:49pm

NFHS 5 second inbound count starting

After a made field goal when does the 5 second count for the ball to be inbounded. In a state qualifier in Minnesota tonight a team scored with about 6 seconds to go to cut the lead to 1 and was out of time outs. The team in the lead never inbounded the ball and won by 1. IIRC the count begins when the ball is placed at the disposal of the player throwing the ball inbounds and since there were less than 5 seconds left when this happened the game ended. Is this the proper way to handle the situation.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsonj72 (Post 1002750)
After a made field goal when does the 5 second count for the ball to be inbounded. In a state qualifier in Minnesota tonight a team scored with about 6 seconds to go to cut the lead to 1 and was out of time outs. The team in the lead never inbounded the ball and won by 1. IIRC the count begins when the ball is placed at the disposal of the player throwing the ball inbounds and since there were less than 5 seconds left when this happened the game ended. Is this the proper way to handle the situation.

I do not think that anyone can answer your question without seeing a video of the play.

MTD, Sr.

Coach Bill Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:19pm

Quote:

Very risky for the inbounding team, unless their coach was watching the official's count. Easily could have had a violation with the opposing team having enough time to get off a shot. If behind, I would have tried to save a timeout for this situation, but if not, I would call timeout anyway, and hope for some misses.

bucky Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:27pm

Quote:

There is no specific objective starting point. The count, as signaled by the administering official, begins when he/she feels that the ball is at the disposal of the inbounding team.

paulsonj72 Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1002752)
I do not think that anyone can answer your question without seeing a video of the play.

MTD, Sr.

Unfortunately(as far as I know)there is no video of the said play(or at least posted). The game was not televised so that makes it harder to find. :-(

Camron Rust Sat Mar 18, 2017 01:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1002754)
There is no specific objective starting point. The count, as signaled by the administering official, begins when he/she feels that the ball is at the disposal of the inbounding team.

That is entirely true. However, it is also true that it does not start as soon as the shot is made or even when a player catches or picks up the ball after falls from the basket. The throwing team should be given sufficient time to recover the ball and get into a position where they could make a legal throwin with it (OOB at the very minimum) before the count should start. Usually, that is 2-3 seconds unless the ball and players were not in a position to quickly get the ball and get OOB with it.

BillyMac Sat Mar 18, 2017 05:09am

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1002754)
There is no specific objective starting point.

True.

The throw-in and the throw-in count begin when the ball is at the
disposal of a player of the team entitled to it.

A ball is at the disposal of a player when it is:
d. Available to a player after a goal and the official begins the throw-in count.

When is the ball available to the player?

Through the basket? On the floor? In the inbounder's hands inbounds? In the inbounder's hands out of bounds? In the inbounder's hands out of bounds facing the wall behind the basket? In the inbounder's hands out of bounds facing the court?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1002758)
... it does not start as soon as the shot is made or even when a player catches or picks up the ball after falls from the basket. The throwing team should be given sufficient time to recover the ball and get into a position where they could make a legal throwin with it (OOB at the very minimum) before the count should start.

For practical purposes, I agree with Camron Rust 100%, but that's not what the rule says.

Same issue for granting a timeout to the scoring team after a goal.

The ball becomes live when:
b. On a throw-in, it is at the disposal of the thrower.

At what point will the official not grant a timeout to the scoring team after a goal? When is the ball at the disposal of the player (available to the player)?

Ball on the floor? In the inbounder's hands inbounds? In the inbounder's hands out of bounds? In the inbounder's hands out of bounds facing the wall behind the basket?

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.O...=0&w=220&h=170

When does the official start counting? When the ball is at the disposal of the inbounder.

When is the ball is at the disposal of the inbounder? When the official starts counting.

Adam Sat Mar 18, 2017 09:02am

There's no way an official with any level of actual experience is going to start a count quickly enough to master when the team scored with 6 seconds left.

deecee Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:01am

Made shot with 6 seconds left, game is over if the other team inbounds it 99.999% of the time. It should be 100% but there are some officials who will try to be "cute" and "smart" and completely kick this.

Raymond Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill (Post 1002753)
Very risky for the inbounding team, unless their coach was watching the official's count. Easily could have had a violation with the opposing team having enough time to get off a shot. If behind, I would have tried to save a timeout for this situation, but if not, I would call timeout anyway, and hope for some misses.

Well, some folks think we should ignore timeout requests when we know the team has no timeouts left. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Camron Rust Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1002760)
When does the official start counting? When the ball is at the disposal of the inbounder.

When is the ball is at the disposal of the inbounder? When the official starts counting.

I'll add the following question...

On any other throw in administered by an official, when does the ball become available to the thrower? Does it start when we know they should have a throwin (on the infraction that stops the clock) or when we actually give them the ball OOB? If we bounce them the ball, does it start as we bounce them the ball or when they catch the ball?

BillyMac Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1002769)
On any other throw in administered by an official, when does the ball become available to the thrower? Does it start when we know they should have a throwin (on the infraction that stops the clock) or when we actually give them the ball OOB? If we bounce them the ball, does it start as we bounce them the ball or when they catch the ball?

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and ye shall find ... (Matthew 7:7)

4-4-7: A ball is at the disposal of a player when it is:
a. Handed to a thrower or free thrower.
b. Caught by a player after it is bounced to him/her.
c. Placed on the floor at the spot.
d. Available to a player after a goal and the official begins the throw-in count.

Now we just need a NFHS definition for "available to a player" (only for after a basket) and we're ready to rock and roll.

For the good of the cause: The nonshooting team can be granted a timeout before the bounced ball is caught by the free thrower.

The ball becomes live when: On a free throw, it is at the disposal of the free thrower.

Note: When do we ever (by the manual) hand the ball to the free thrower (see a. above)? I haven't done that for over thirty years. Am I right Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?

jTheUmp Sat Mar 18, 2017 03:48pm

"at the disposal of the thrower" after a made basket is entirely up to the judgement of the official. That's why we make the big bucks. :)

You'll never find a book interpretation of exactly how long that takes, because it can vary greatly... a if it goes through the hoop and is caught by a member of Team B, it's at their disposal within a second or so. If the ball takes a weird bounce or inadvertently caroms off a foot/knee/whatever, it's going to take a few seconds for the ball to be at Team B's disposal.

bob jenkins Sat Mar 18, 2017 04:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 1002777)
"at the disposal of the thrower" after a made basket is entirely up to the judgement of the official. That's why we make the big bucks. :)

Generally -- when the team has the ball OOB and is facing the court -- or could reasonably be expected to do so.

BillyMac Sat Mar 18, 2017 05:40pm

That's My Story And I'm Sticking To It ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1002789)
... when the team has the ball OOB and is facing the court, or could reasonably be expected to do so.

That's when I'm starting my five second count, and ignoring any requests by the scoring team for a timeout. If the NFHS wants to tell me I'm wrong, then I don't want to be right (with apologies to Luther Ingram).

bucky Sat Mar 18, 2017 06:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1002771)

Note: When do we ever (by the manual) hand the ball to the free thrower (see a. above)? I haven't done that for over thirty years. Am I right Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?

To what manual are you referring? I do not believe that the CCA manual indicates anything about bouncing the ball to the shooter of a technical foul FT as it does other FTs.

Indeed, no one does it.

(I have done it twice and it was because the shooter (a captain) had quick questions. I handed him the ball and slowly retreated)

As far as the OP, NFHS case 6.1.2 sit B provides wording that indicates when a throw-in is available, all in the same language that we have used in this thread.

Adam Sat Mar 18, 2017 07:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1002799)
To what manual are you referring? I do not believe that the CCA manual indicates anything about bouncing the ball to the shooter of a technical foul FT as it does other FTs.

Indeed, no one does it.

(I have done it twice and it was because the shooter (a captain) had quick questions. I handed him the ball and slowly retreated)

As far as the OP, NFHS case 6.1.2 sit B provides wording that indicates when a throw-in is available, all in the same language that we have used in this thread.

Not that NFHS is different, but why are you referencing the CCA manual in a discussion of high school mechanics?

bucky Sat Mar 18, 2017 08:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 1002804)
Not that NFHS is different, but why are you referencing the CCA manual in a discussion of high school mechanics?

To illustrate that there is a manual, from a governing body, that does not dictate the ball be bounced to the FT shooter for Technical/Intentional fouls. Ergo, it could be the same for another governing body. Furthermore, I asked to get clarification as many, many posters reference more than one governing body without directly indicating it. lastly, I do not have my NFHS manual readily available and thought it easier just to ask:)

BillyMac Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:12pm

Quote:

6.1.2 SITUATION B: Team A has just scored a goal. The ball is bouncing close
to the end line when: (a) A1 calls for a time-out; or (b) A1 illegally contacts B1.
RULING: In order to rule correctly, it depends on whether the bouncing ball is
judged to be at the thrower’s disposal. If the covering official judges it is at the
thrower’s disposal, he/she would start the count and the ball becomes live. In this
case, in (a), no time-out is granted and the foul in (b), is penalized. If the ball is
not at the thrower’s disposal, the time-out is granted in (a), and the contact in (b),
is ignored unless it is intentional or flagrant. COMMENT: In this situation, the covering
official must give the new throw-in team a moment or two to recognize it is
their ball for a throw-in and get a player into the area to pick up the ball. If the ball
is near the end line, it is the throw-in team’s responsibility to secure it and throwin
from anywhere out of bounds along the end line. The covering official shall
start his/her throw-in count when it is determined the ball is available. (4-4-7d)

BillyMac Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:27pm

Follow The Bouncing Ball ...

Quote:

I do not believe that the CCA manual indicates anything about bouncing the ball to the shooter of a technical foul FT as it does other FTs. Indeed, no one does it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1002805)
To illustrate that there is a manual, from a governing body, that does not dictate the ball be bounced to the FT shooter for Technical/Intentional fouls.

According to the IAABO Two Person Manual, there is (by the book) no differentiation between administering technical foul free throws, intentional foul free throws, or any other type of free throw shooting situation. Two officials are involved in all free throw situations, the trail has his coverage responsibilities, and the lead has his coverage responsibilities, including bouncing the ball to the free throw shooter.

Note: Over thirty years ago there were many free throw shooting situations where the trail handed the ball to the free throw shooter, always from the shooter's left side, but that ancient mechanic went the way of the buggy whip.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.8...=0&w=300&h=300

Kelvin green Sun Mar 19, 2017 06:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1002789)
Generally -- when the team has the ball OOB and is facing the court -- or could reasonably be expected to do so.

I will slightly disagree. While this is probably the way we do it in practice most of the time...there are times I dont. I have seen way too many teams take too much time getting the ball, going OOB, and facing the Court, to avoid a press or take time to figure out the press... (or letting the ball bounce determining who is going to make a throw in while there is a press).

What do you do if its the team who was just scored on hit the ball and has to track it down? Do you call them for a delay of game warning? Or do you just start the 5 second count?

If they were trying to get it to another player OOB for the throw-in and their toss went errant. The ball was available when the player secured the ball? Do they get extra time because he couldn't get it to the inbound thrower correctly?

Clearly the intent of the rules is for the offense to make a prompt throw-in, not be able to run time unreasonably, give a fair playing field to those who want to press...

Not sure when the best time to start it but it may not be OOB facing the floor...

rjfxvii Sun Mar 19, 2017 08:51pm

how about this wrinkle

So, had a game this season with this same situation, with the only difference being the scoring team (the one with no timeouts) knocking the ball well out of the way in an attempt to prompt the delay of game warning--which stops the clock, because there was no other way they were going to be able to stop it. Do you go ahead and grant the delay of game warning, knowing that it's a gamesmanship situation, or do you ignore the violation because it's (in essence) rewarding them for their illegal act?

jTheUmp Sun Mar 19, 2017 09:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjfxvii (Post 1002907)
So, had a game this season with this same situation, with the only difference being the scoring team (the one with no timeouts) knocking the ball well out of the way in an attempt to prompt the delay of game warning--which stops the clock, because there was no other way they were going to be able to stop it. Do you go ahead and grant the delay of game warning, knowing that it's a gamesmanship situation, or do you ignore the violation because it's (in essence) rewarding them for their illegal act?

Check out casebook 9.2.10.A... specifically, the comment following that case play.

bob jenkins Mon Mar 20, 2017 07:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvin green (Post 1002887)

Not sure when the best time to start it but it may not be OOB facing the floor...

That's why I added "or could reasonably be expected to do so" -- and all of your examples fit under that umbrella.

Rich Mon Mar 20, 2017 07:50am

Personally, I think the new lead at halfcourt should just call a 5-second violation.

Camron Rust Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich (Post 1002955)
personally, i think the new lead at halfcourt should just call a 5-second violation.

lol!

Adam Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjfxvii (Post 1002907)

How much time was remaining when the ball went through the basket?

If more than 5 seconds, administer as normal.

If 5 seconds or less, then no. If the new offensive team is actually trying to do the throw-in, then you call a technical foul. If the new offensive team is not trying to complete the throw-in, then you ignore the infraction and let the clock run.

The case play spells it out.

Adam Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1002955)
Personally, I think the new lead at halfcourt should just call a 5-second violation.

That would make a hell of a video.

Rich Mon Mar 20, 2017 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 1002984)
That would make a hell of a video.

Someone might have to post it once, twice, or 384 times.