The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA Men's Tournament Officials (2017) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102402-ncaa-mens-tournament-officials-2017-a.html)

AremRed Sun Mar 19, 2017 08:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by big jake (Post 1002857)
S4veral must have not got the proper paperwork in to be eligible

You think a big time D1 official who has worked the tournament multiple times makes the mistake of not getting his paperwork in order?

Raymond Sun Mar 19, 2017 09:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1002902)
You think a big time D1 official who has worked the tournament multiple times makes the mistake of not getting his paperwork in order?

Yes, Jim Burr had it happen one season.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Texref Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:09pm

Thought they couldn't work both NIT and NCAA. Kimble worked the Houston NIT game and had both first and second round games. Good for him! Good people and good referee!

Raymond Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texref (Post 1002913)
Thought they couldn't work both NIT and NCAA. Kimble worked the Houston NIT game and had both first and second round games. Good for him! Good people and good referee!

They have to have so many hours (48?) of idle time between NIT and NCAA game.

Raymond Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:43pm

My favorite NCAA official again this season is Kipp Kippinger.

AremRed Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1002910)
Yes, Jim Burr had it happen one season.

Yeah, but Stuart, DeRosa, AND Dorsey?? Dorsey was the alternate for the Final Four last year.

My guess for Stuart and DeRosa is that they didn't like their assignments last year (both only worked regional semifinal), knew JD was not going to advance them furthur, and took an early vacation.

Shame cuz those two guys are still among the best. It's not like DeRosa dropped off the cliff like Burr did a couple years ago.

tmagan Mon Mar 20, 2017 02:44am

If Ted Valentine makes another Final Four, he will break the record for most years between first final four and last final four currently held at twenty-one years by Jody Sylvester and Jim Burr.

RefCT Mon Mar 20, 2017 06:34am

Separate topic - anyone else notice there seems to be more "tweety bird" whistle blowing in the tournament this year? What I mean by this is multiple blasts of the whistle to make the call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SC Official Mon Mar 20, 2017 07:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefCT (Post 1002946)
Separate topic - anyone else notice there seems to be more "tweety bird" whistle blowing in the tournament this year? What I mean by this is multiple blasts of the whistle to make the call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No more this year than other years.

And I have no problem with it.

CecilOne Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:00am

Best I have SEEN this year are Corbett, Driscoll, Ayers, Steratore.
Mostly watch Big East (Villanova grad & devoted fan), plus some other high ranks or rivalries.

big jake Mon Mar 20, 2017 06:10pm

JD is the best in the game right now. Their loss that he is not calling. Stuart still calls a good game as does Dorcy.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Mar 20, 2017 08:34pm

Joe DeRosa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1002691)
Notable names who have not yet worked: Mike Stuart, Mike Roberts, Verne Harris, Kipp Kissinger, Don Daily (personal favorite), Brian O'Connell, Tom Eades, Gene Steretore, Joe DeRosa, Doug Sirmons, David Hall, Ray Natili, Roger Ayers, Terry Oglesby, Jamie Luckie, Brian Dorsey, DJ Carstensen, Lamont Simpson, Chris Beaver, Gary Prager, Michael Stephens, and Darron George.

Obviously that's probably a list of who will work tomorrow. :D

I noticed a LOT of Lead officials helping mark 3 point attempts on the wing today, wonder if that was something JD emphasized.

Tony Greene gets First Tech of Tournament™ award! Could have tossed Richard Pitino but decided not to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1002762)
No DeRosa or Tom Eades?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattmets (Post 1002763)
Tom Eades has been hurt for the last month or so. DeRosa, Dorsey, and Stuart are the biggest no-shows through the first round.

Quote:

Originally Posted by big jake (Post 1002802)
Where is Derosa?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1002825)
JD must have sent DeRosa upstate to live on a farm.

I have it from an unimpeachable source that Joe did not officiate the first weekend for personal reasons.

MTD, Sr.

bucky Mon Mar 20, 2017 09:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1003030)
I have it from in unimpeachable source that Joe did not officiate the first weekend for personal reasons.

MTD, Sr.

And the reason for missing other games?

Nevadaref Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1003034)
And the reason for missing other games?

Um, we've only conducted the first weekend of games. There haven't been any other games.

The NCAA Championship manual outlines the process through which officials will be selected for the Sweet 16 and Elite 8. They come from the 96 which worked the previous two rounds of the tournament. Hence, it seems clear that someone can't jump in at the 3rd round.

bucky Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1003040)
Um, we've only conducted the first weekend of games. There haven't been any other games.

The NCAA Championship manual outlines the process through which officials will be selected for the Sweet 16 and Elite 8. They come from the 96 which worked the previous two rounds of the tournament. Hence, it seems clear that someone can't jump in at the 3rd round.

Sure, makes perfect sense, my mistake.

I do not recall seeing him in any conference tournament games(he probably worked though) or the First Four played on 3/14. I also was not considering 3/16 (Thurs) a weekend game.