The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Violation Rule - Backcourt (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102374-violation-rule-backcourt-video.html)

JRutledge Fri Mar 10, 2017 01:09am

Violation Rule - Backcourt (Video)

Was a violation to be called? Why or why not?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1JptuFkJ2QU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

hamnegger Fri Mar 10, 2017 02:52am

No possession in frontcourt...play on

Camron Rust Fri Mar 10, 2017 03:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamnegger (Post 1002025)
No possession in frontcourt...play on

Right result, wrong reason. Possession in the frontcourt isn't actually required.

Altor Fri Mar 10, 2017 06:45am

The official chopped the clock, so I'm going with "Yes, he touched the ball."

As for the violation...this is the infamous situation, isn't it? By the letter of the rule, this is a violation. By clarification and case plays and reiteration of the four things that must occur for a BC violation, it is nothing.

BillyMac Fri Mar 10, 2017 07:15am

No Violation ...

The four elements for having a backcourt violation are: there must be team control (and initial player control
when coming from a throw-in); the ball must have achieved frontcourt status; the team in team control must
be the last to touch the ball before it goes into the backcourt; that same team must be the first to touch after
the ball has been in the backcourt.

During a throwin, even under a team’s own basket, if the throwin is deflected, tipped, or batted, by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; or after a missed field goal attempt, or a missed foul shot attempt, if the ball is deflected, tipped, or batted, by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; these are not a backcourt violations.

hamnegger Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1002027)
Right result, wrong reason. Possession in the frontcourt isn't actually required.

“During the throw-in, 10-seconds, 3-seconds, frontcourt status, backcourt status, closely guarded, etc., are not factors as there has yet to be player control/team control status obtained inbounds.” NFHS Rulebook

Doesn't frontcourt control have to be established before we can have a backcourt violation? I may be misunderstanding your response.

bob jenkins Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamnegger (Post 1002036)
“During the throw-in, 10-seconds, 3-seconds, frontcourt status, backcourt status, closely guarded, etc., are not factors as there has yet to be player control/team control status obtained inbounds.” NFHS Rulebook

Doesn't frontcourt control have to be established before we can have a backcourt violation? I may be misunderstanding your response.

"Control inbounds" is needed. That control does not need to be in the FC.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamnegger (Post 1002036)

Team control, yes. Frontcourt status, yes. "Possession" in the frontcourt, which I read to be player control (a player holding or dribbing in the frontcourt), no.

Amesman Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1002039)
Team control, yes. Frontcourt status, yes. "Possession" in the frontcourt, which I read to be player control (a player holding or dribbing in the frontcourt), no.

As I recall, "team control" under the inbounding specs tweaked a handful of years ago pertains ONLY for the aspect of calling fouls on the inbounding team (so free throws won't be shot).

Do I remember correctly or did I get kicked in the head by Grayson Allen, or whatever, and jumble the interpretation?

Camron Rust Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 1002042)
As I recall, "team control" under the inbounding specs tweaked a handful of years ago pertains ONLY for the aspect of calling fouls on the inbounding team (so free throws won't be shot).

Do I remember correctly or did I get kicked in the head by Grayson Allen, or whatever, and jumble the interpretation?

You remember correctly.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Mar 10, 2017 01:50pm

NFHS, NCAA Men's /Women's: No Backcourt Violation.

FIBA: Backcourt Violation:

MBA/WNBA: I do not know.

MTD, Sr.