The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 28, 2017, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Video Request: Duke-FSU Travel/backcourt?

Duke-Florida State game, 30 seconds left in 2nd half. Duke player tries to make a pass near midcourt, he may have traveled first, I think his foot was on the midcourt line when he threw it, and I think the ball bounces on the mid court line.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old Tue Feb 28, 2017, 09:23pm
High Five Master

I thought in live action the ball bounced on the line as well. But it was likely just camera angle. Cameras in Cameron are so dang far away most of time.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2017, 11:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Here is the play.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 28, 2017, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Foot nearly hits line while still having ball too. Too inconclusive. T out of position and why was he waving C up?
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Thanks JRut, Appreciate it.

Looks like the ball hits the line to me. I actually like that the T waves the C up, I think its good communication to get your partner to take over a play on his side of the court. Only problem is that the original T moved down before the new T could get into suitable position to referee the midcourt line. With 30 seconds left, there's an argument to be made that it didn't matter, though a turnover there and FSU could potentially cut the score to 4, so who knows.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Tough to tell if either his foot (before releasing the pass) or the ball hit the line.
Crew mechanics are a mess. With 30 seconds left the T waves his partner up from the C, then bails out before the partner can get into position to cover the play. Also note that the Lead never moves from the D in Duke on the end line. He doesn't rotate at all. Strange stuff.
Would have been better had the T simply stayed put and officiated the play at the division line.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 09:32am
Courageous When Prudent

I don't know or care if the ball hit the line. I don't like that the Trail left the play and tried to force a rotation leaving no top-side coverage of the play. He should have stayed at the division and officiated the play until the Lead rotated and forced the Center to the top-side of the play.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 09:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I don't know or care if the ball hit the line. I don't like that the Trail left the play and tried to force a rotation leaving no top-side coverage of the play. He should have stayed at the division and officiated the play until the Lead rotated and forced the Center to the top-side of the play.
There's also this:

There's no reason the C can't come up and officiate that regardless of what the T and L do.

Crew got caught doing something they'd get away with 99% of the time. This may (or may not) be that 1%. But nobody was on the division line to tell for sure.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

The contact of a ball with the floor is a spot only 2 1/2 inches round. From the camera angle, the ball appears to be several inches away from hitting the line.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 11:49am
Stubborn Member

Personally, at this point, I don't care that the ball may have hit the division line. The game is over. I'm more concerned with the fact no official was in position to make a definitive call on the play.

For the record, I have no problem with the T waving up the C. There's a matchup on the other side of the floor, and the defender in front of him starts running over there to double-team the dribbler.

Nor do I have an issue with the lead not moving, as he has a matchup in front of him, along with a second defender right there near that matchup.

But people are correct to criticize the T/former T for not staying high until his partner was up by the division line. The T/former T has no matchup to move down to. He's moving down for no reason.