The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 19, 2017, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

3 second interpretation

I was at a youth basketball game this morning and saw a three second violation called. It was called when a shot was taken, several players ended up under the goal rebounding and shooting. I asked the ref after the game about it and told him I thought the time reset if a player shot the ball. He said the ball did not hit the rim and that time did not reset if it didn't hit the rim. I think he was wrong, but was not sure enough to argue the point. I don't really care about the game but I do want the kids to learn the correct rules.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2017, 12:07am
Stubborn Member

Wait. He called a 3 second violation while a shot was in the air?
Old Sun Feb 19, 2017, 12:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

Three Seconds ...

The three second "reset" occurs when the offensive team loses team control, which, in this case, happens to be when the try is released.

The intent of the three-second rule is to not allow an offensive player in the lane to gain an advantage. There is no three-second count between the release of a shot, and the control of a rebound, at which time a new count starts. There is no three-second count during a throwin. There is no three-second count while the ball is in the backcourt. There is a three-second count during an interrupted dribble. There is a three-second count while an offensive player has one foot in the lane, and one foot outside of the lane, and the three-second count continues if this player lifts the foot in the lane so that neither foot is touching inside the lane. To stop the count this player must have both feet touch the court outside of the lane. It’s a violation for a player to step out of bounds in an attempt to avoid a three second violation. Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in, or moves immediately to try for goal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 19, 2017 at 08:21am.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2017, 12:14am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmedders View Post
I was at a youth basketball game this morning and saw a three second violation called. It was called when a shot was taken, several players ended up under the goal rebounding and shooting. I asked the ref after the game about it and told him I thought the time reset if a player shot the ball. He said the ball did not hit the rim and that time did not reset if it didn't hit the rim. I think he was wrong, but was not sure enough to argue the point. I don't really care about the game but I do want the kids to learn the correct rules.
As you may have guessed, that ref was wrong.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2017, 06:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Rules? We Don't Need Know No Stinkin' Rules …

Last week, I had a parent concerned about the opposing team's very tall and talented center hanging out in the lane too long, with occasional shouts of "three seconds" from the stands. At one point she decided to help me by counting, however it was during a throwin and she started counting when the ball was put at the disposal of the inbounder by my partner, the lead. "One. Two. Three. Four". After the throwin was swatted back out of bounds, as the trail, standing right in front of her, I turned to her and said, "Ma'am, there is no three second count during the throwin". Startled, she replied, "Oh? Sorry", and was quiet the rest of the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 19, 2017 at 07:33am.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2017, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Last week, I had a parent concerned about the opposing team's very tall and talented center hanging out in the lane too long, with occasional shouts of "thee seconds" from the stands. At one point she decided to help me by counting, however it was during a throwin and she started counting when the ball was put at the disposal of the inbounder by my partner, the lead. "One. Two. Three. Four". After the throwin was swatted back out of bounds, as the trail, standing right in front of her, I turned to her and said, "Ma'am, there is no three second count during the throwin". Startled, she replied, "Oh? Sorry", and was quiet the rest of the game.

It never bothers me when something like that happens and you explain the rule and they accept it. I had the opposite where on a one on one fastbreak yesterday an 8th grader drove on a defender who was in paint established LGP and then knew the kid was going to go to the right and got hit in the chest while moving before the player elevated. I call PC and coach went nuts. I said do you know the rule? He said yeah. I said do you agree contact was in the chest? He said yeah I ref and he has to be set. He wasnt set you gotta call a block!
Old Sun Feb 19, 2017, 09:07am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamnegger View Post
It never bothers me when something like that happens and you explain the rule and they accept it. I had the opposite where on a one on one fastbreak yesterday an 8th grader drove on a defender who was in paint established LGP and then knew the kid was going to go to the right and got hit in the chest while moving before the player elevated. I call PC and coach went nuts. I said do you know the rule? He said yeah. I said do you agree contact was in the chest? He said yeah I ref and he has to be set. He wasnt set you gotta call a block!
You should have asked him where in the rule book it says the defender has to be "set".

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Sun Feb 19, 2017, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamnegger View Post
... He said yeah, I ref ...
The end. Anytime a coach (especially in a kids game) tries to go down that road, he and I are done communicating for the day.

Just because you have a striped shirt in your closet and some dope somehow lets you officiate games in some garbage league, doesn't mean you're an official.

A real official would never say that.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2017, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
The end. Anytime a coach (especially in a kids game) tries to go down that road, he and I are done communicating for the day.

Just because you have a striped shirt in your closet and some dope somehow lets you officiate games in some garbage league, doesn't mean you're an official.

A real official would never say that.
You'd be surprised.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2017, 10:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
You'd be surprised.

As someone who has umpired HS / college baseball, I came close to saying this while coaching. I had an umpire who (1) made stuff up and (2) acted like I was an idiot cause I was coaching.

But mostly all a coach can do with one of these Byron collared, pea whistle guys is hope for the best and staple his lips shut.