The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Thoughts on this Technical (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102274-thoughts-technical.html)

diehardmason Sat Feb 18, 2017 05:36am

Thoughts on this Technical

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1000560)
If the official thought it was nothing more than fancy dribbling, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

That was taunting. They were clearly mocking the other team's lack of skill. That has no place in HS sports. To just dismiss this as nothing is a fast way to a fight.

We've had officials think plenty of things, but does that make them correct? I've seen plenty of thoughts in this forum that were clearly wrong but the guys posting knew they were correct without question.

I was blessed to be able to play ball at a pretty high level in high school and D-1 SEC college ball In the late 90s. I've seen teams and kids get embarrassed at a level that makes this look elementary with zero mention of a technical foul. That was a poor attempt at taunting if that's what it was. I understand the integrity of the sport but I still don't see it. I'll keep reading though and maybe I'll have an epiphany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camron Rust Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by diehardmason (Post 1000561)
We've had officials think plenty of things, but does that make them correct? I've seen plenty of thoughts in this forum that were clearly wrong but the guys posting knew they were correct without question.

I was blessed to be able to play ball at a pretty high level in high school and D-1 SEC college ball In the late 90s. I've seen teams and kids get embarrassed at a level that makes this look elementary with zero mention of a technical foul. That was a poor attempt at taunting if that's what it was. I understand the integrity of the sport but I still don't see it. I'll keep reading though and maybe I'll have an epiphany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being embarrassed isn't the issue. It is doing something that is not naturally part of the game with the express purpose of trying to embarrass the other team which is clearly not at the same level.

just another ref Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:56pm

I'm okay with a T for this. It would be better if the official told the coach to have his guys knock it off and play ball first.

LRZ Sat Feb 18, 2017 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 1000581)
I'm okay with a T for this. It would be better if the official told the coach to have his guys knock it off and play ball first.

He may have. We don't know when, during the game, this kind of conduct began.

Adam Sat Feb 18, 2017 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1000560)
If the official thought it was nothing more than fancy dribbling, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

That was taunting. They were clearly mocking the other team's lack of skill. That has no place in HS sports. To just dismiss this as nothing is a fast way to a fight.

When I first saw the video, it screamed "taunting" to me. I would have liked to talk to him about it, but sometimes we don't get that chance.

In an 80 point game, skip the talk and just call the T. He's not trying some new killer move, he's taunting the defense and there's no other explanation for it.

And you don't get to compare this to a college game, particularly at the D1 SEC level.