The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ball off Face! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102262-ball-off-face.html)

dabard Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:50am

Ball off Face!

VIDEO: Okla. school reviewing incident after basketball player throws ball off opponent’s face | | USA Today High School Sports

Rich Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:19am

The lead official looks really engaged. Is he even counting?

JRutledge Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1000305)
The lead official looks really engaged. Is he even counting?

No he is not. And the coach is yelling at the wrong official as well.

Peace

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:37pm

That's an awful quick T when, IMO, the coach had a pretty valid point.

Rich Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 1000323)
That's an awful quick T when, IMO, the coach had a pretty valid point.

Do you have any idea what the coach said?

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1000324)
Do you have any idea what the coach said?

No I don't, and perhaps it contained some magic words, but after such a huge miss by his partner, I certainly would have a little longer leash even for some of the magic words.

Rich Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:47pm

Look like the lead got the out of bounds call correct.

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1000326)
Look like the lead got the out of bounds call correct.

Agreed.

But do you really think that bouncing the ball off of the defender's face should have been a no-call?

JRutledge Wed Feb 15, 2017 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 1000325)
No I don't, and perhaps it contained some magic words, but after such a huge miss by his partner, I certainly would have a little longer leash even for some of the magic words.

That assumes that the official giving the T even saw the play. It is very possible he is looking at the other 8 players on the floor or some other match-up that he would not have seen this play. So I do not blame him for this situation at all.

Peace

Welpe Wed Feb 15, 2017 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 1000325)

If the Trail has more than a peripheral look at that play then he's not doing his job officiating the rest of the court. Potentially missing something isn't carte blanche for the HC to say whatever he wants.

so cal lurker Wed Feb 15, 2017 01:53pm

So what would the proper call be here?

Robert E. Harrison Wed Feb 15, 2017 01:59pm

Illegal use of opponent's face. Unsporting Technical on thrower.

Dale3 Wed Feb 15, 2017 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1000337)
So what would the proper call be here?

I'd like to see a technical foul on A1 for an "unsporting foul". If this is intentional, which it clearly looks to be, its a no brainier tech.

2 shots and the ball for Red (NFHS).

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Feb 15, 2017 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1000329)
That assumes that the official giving the T even saw the play. It is very possible he is looking at the other 8 players on the floor or some other match-up that he would not have seen this play. So I do not blame him for this situation at all.

Peace

I agree that he has other primary responsibilities, but if you look at the first angle, it appears that this is a 2 man crew. The other 6 of the other 8 players are all below the free throw line, and it even appears that the trail is looking through the court and would have had some view of what just occurred.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 1000331)
If the Trail has more than a peripheral look at that play then he's not doing his job officiating the rest of the court. Potentially missing something isn't carte blanche for the HC to say whatever he wants.

Again, based on the first angle show, I think the trail can do his job while still having a decent look at what happened.

I'm not saying the coach can do/say whatever he wants, but I think you have to give him a little leeway given the situation. Again, we don't know what was said exactly. Maybe there were some magic word expressed. I just think it was a quick trigger given the play.

LRZ Wed Feb 15, 2017 02:12pm

It appears to me as if the L was looking right at the two players involved. My conjecture is that it caught him off-guard and he just didn't react. But he might have bought himself some time if, realizing that something troublesome had occurred, he went to his partner to talk it over briefly. One of those "partner, just nod your head as I'm talking to you" conversations.