The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 28, 2003, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I need some clarification on the following scenario because I will be taking the NFHS Test soon:

"A-1 is fouled as time expires in the second quarter and awarded a one-on-one. As the official is reporting the foul, a technical foul is assessed against team B's coach. Official awards A-1 his/her one-on-one and starts the third quarter by administering the technical foul." Is the official correct? Yes or No.
Old Sun Sep 28, 2003, 05:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Well it depends.

Quote:
Originally posted by devobarr
I need some clarification on the following scenario because I will be taking the NFHS Test soon:

"A-1 is fouled as time expires in the second quarter and awarded a one-on-one. As the official is reporting the foul, a technical foul is assessed against team B's coach. Official awards A-1 his/her one-on-one and starts the third quarter by administering the technical foul." Is the official correct? Yes or No.
It depends on when the Technical foul takes place. Does it happen during the 1 and 1 FTs? Does it happen well after that and the players and coaches are off the court?

If the T was given before the quarter ended, then the T shots would take place before anyone left the court. If it is after, then you shoot the FTs at the beginning of the half or 3 quarter.

Look at 5-6-3 and 5-6-4, these should give more specific information to what to do.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 28, 2003, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
As Jeff says, it depends. I think the general idea is that the quarter isn't over until the last 1-&-1 is finished. So if the T happened "while the official is reporting", then even though time is expired, the quarter hasn't finished and the T would be shot before half-time.

Really stupid of the coach, in my humble opinion.
Old Sun Sep 28, 2003, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

The half was not over

Even though time has expired, the half was not over and the free throws needed to be shot. Because of this, I would vote that the technical would be shot before everyone leaves the court and the 3rd qtr starts as usual.

Old Sun Sep 28, 2003, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

It doesn't "depend on when the Technical foul takes place." It's clear when the technical takes place. If the official is reporting the foul, then the 2nd qtr. hasn't ended because the 1 & 1 hasn't been shot. Shoot the 1 & 1, shoot the T, and go to half time.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Sep 29th, 2003 at 09:56 AM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Sep 29, 2003, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Then the third quarter starts from the arrow? Or with the possession from the technical foul? I think it's the arrow. It would start with Team A having possession from the technical foul only if the T was shot at the beginning of the third quarter, right?
Old Mon Sep 29, 2003, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Then the third quarter starts from the arrow? Or with the possession from the technical foul? I think it's the arrow. It would start with Team A having possession from the technical foul only if the T was shot at the beginning of the third quarter, right?
right
Old Mon Sep 29, 2003, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
No penalty carries over from one period to the next. The T occurred in the 2nd qtr. Start the 3rd with AP.