The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

In SC we can set our mileage limit however high or low we want and get sent to any school within that radius. The default is 75 miles one way, but we're normally kept within 60 or so assuming we leave it set that high.

Before the playoffs the SCHSL tries to be sneaky and reset all the mileage limits to make it easier to assign games.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 09:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

We set our own radius here. If I only wanted to work in the conferences where I live, I could do that and would probably only get about a dozen dates.

If I want to work 50+ varsity dates a season, I need to spread my radius out further. Most of my games are within an hour, although sometimes I go further. We have "regular partners" here, people we work 60% to 90% of our games with (depending on the crew). Each of them lives about 40 minutes from me, so sometimes I go to a central meeting point, which is where our trip actually starts.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 09:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
We're lucky here too. The farthest regular-season school from my home is 25 miles.
I would work 5 games a year at the varsity level if that was the case or work the same 7 or 8 schools over and over again. I drove about 50 miles yesterday. I will be going about that on Friday. Then I will be about 15 miles away on Saturday. It all balances out.

BTW, no mileage pay for any of that. Only the playoffs gives mileage and that is like 75 miles round trip.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would work 5 games a year at the varsity level if that was the case or work the same 7 or 8 schools over and over again. I drove about 50 miles yesterday. I will be going about that on Friday. Then I will be about 15 miles away on Saturday. It all balances out.

BTW, no mileage pay for any of that. Only the playoffs gives mileage and that is like 75 miles round trip.

Peace
Most of our games are within 25 miles of home. We do have one school that's a 90 mile drive one way.

And then there's the occasional weekend where I have to get on a plane to go work. Done that twice this year.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 12:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Most of our games are within 25 miles of home. We do have one school that's a 90 mile drive one way.

And then there's the occasional weekend where I have to get on a plane to go work. Done that twice this year.
Now I live in one of the largest population areas in the country so school are all over the place. But when I lived in rural Illinois, going 90 miles was not out of the question unless I wanted to work only a handful of times and going an hour away is very common as well in that part of the state.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 03:03pm
Often wrong never n doubt

I have 16 nights this month and will drive 1500 miles total.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 03:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's New England, You Can't Get There From Here ...

Sometimes it's a matter of actual mileage, and sometimes it's a matter of travel time through congested areas. The Connecticut River runs right through the middle of our school coverage area. There are only a few bridges that cross the river (and two ferries that don't run in the winter). If I have to cross the River during rush hour, it doesn't matter how little the mileage is, it's going to take me a long time to get through traffic with few alternate routes. My car can't fly over the River.

Yeah, sure. And someday we'll be able to see people while we're talking to them on the telephone. Wait ... I'm being told ... When? Nevermind.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)