The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 07, 2017, 12:49am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Shoes which are specifically not allowed "don't matter." A belt which specifically is allowed matters very much.

Interesting.
Not at all interesting to me.

Nobody wearing a belt would get HIRED at the D-1 level. The same people making those decisions may or may not care about shoes.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2017, 12:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeyes View Post
Had high school coach say to me: How can officials enforce uniforms rules for players, if they aren't wearing proper uniform ("entirely black shoes and socks")?
Must be a state rule. NFHS manual says primarily black shoes, not entirely black shoes.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2017, 12:56am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Not at all interesting to me.

Nobody wearing a belt would get HIRED at the D-1 level. The same people making those decisions may or may not care about shoes.
I'm not talking about the D-1 level. I'm talking about all the snide remarks about belts at any level.

But if there is a rule in the book for D-1 officials shoes, but some choose to disregard it "because they can get away with it," why is that okay?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 07, 2017, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Must be a state rule. NFHS manual says primarily black shoes, not entirely black shoes.

Interesting: 12/13 book says:
2.1. ART. 1

The official's uniform shall be a black-and-white striped shirt, black pants, entirely black shoes and socks.
When did this change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Feb 07, 2017, 01:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm looking at the 15-17 Officials Manual.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2017, 08:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Shoes which are specifically not allowed "don't matter." A belt which specifically is allowed matters very much.

Interesting.
"or shoes approved by an individual conference" is good enough for me.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2017, 09:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

The belt people crack me up.

Basketball officiating pants are sold beltless. The people I see wearing belts around here are wearing Dockers or pants with white pockets or pants that fit poorly when it comes to running up and down a basketball floor.

I asked someone once why he didn't buy pants specifically designed for officiating. He told me he could get the pants he bought for $15 at Sears. Enough said. He just didn't care enough to buy the right pants. Same guy was still wearing a 100% old-style polyester shirt, which anyone with any sense stopped wearing YEARS ago.

I know of one official who worked at a high level in the last 15 years wearing a belt -- Blane Reichelt -- and he retired in 2005.

The new pants out in the last few years (the 4-way stretch pants) are super comfortable and look good and I just don't understand why anyone wouldn't just buy them.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2017, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Come work for me. I don't care what shoes you wear as long as you get your calls right.

I've been wearing a pair of 2014 Nike Air Max with a silver-ish swoosh for the past two seasons. I wish I would've bought a few pairs -- can't find them and they are the best shoes I've ever worn.
2010 Air Max all leather. Blacked in the swoosh. Replaced them with Zigs a couple of seasons ago, but made my way back to the Air Max. The best shoe ever.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2017, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Rich, have you tried shoekicker.com for those AirMax?
Old Tue Feb 07, 2017, 10:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The belt people crack me up.

Basketball officiating pants are sold beltless. The people I see wearing belts around here are wearing Dockers or pants with white pockets or pants that fit poorly when it comes to running up and down a basketball floor.

I asked someone once why he didn't buy pants specifically designed for officiating. He told me he could get the pants he bought for $15 at Sears. Enough said. He just didn't care enough to buy the right pants. Same guy was still wearing a 100% old-style polyester shirt, which anyone with any sense stopped wearing YEARS ago.

I know of one official who worked at a high level in the last 15 years wearing a belt -- Blane Reichelt -- and he retired in 2005.

The new pants out in the last few years (the 4-way stretch pants) are super comfortable and look good and I just don't understand why anyone wouldn't just buy them.
I knew a guy that wore pants with belt loops. I never asked him about this personally, but my understanding he hardly ever worked varsity ball. It looked absolutely stupid, but that is what he did. It is just lazy and unprofessional. Just like when you go to a job interview and you wear a T-shirt, that usually does not give the right impression either. So does what we wear and hardly anyone at that level cares about some white on shoes as most of the time they do not sell shoes that are totally black anymore.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 07, 2017, 10:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I worked in an area where even the highest level varsity officials wore belts: there was no local supplier (mid 2000s) who sold the beltless variety. When I asked the local sporting goods guy why he didn't sell them (a small isolated metro area of about 100,000), he said there wasn't enough market for them. Too many officials could go to Target or Sears and get a cheap pair of dress slacks for $15.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2017, 11:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I worked in an area where even the highest level varsity officials wore belts: there was no local supplier (mid 2000s) who sold the beltless variety. When I asked the local sporting goods guy why he didn't sell them (a small isolated metro area of about 100,000), he said there wasn't enough market for them. Too many officials could go to Target or Sears and get a cheap pair of dress slacks for $15.
How good were these top officials?
Old Tue Feb 07, 2017, 11:53am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeyes View Post
Had high school coach say to me: How can officials enforce uniforms rules for players, if they aren't wearing proper uniform ("entirely black shoes and socks")?
How did you respond?
Old Tue Feb 07, 2017, 12:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Rich, have you tried shoekicker.com for those AirMax?
I've tried everything I can think of, including eBay. I'm not a size 6, unfortunately.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2017, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not talking about the D-1 level. I'm talking about all the snide remarks about belts at any level.

But if there is a rule in the book for D-1 officials shoes, but some choose to disregard it "because they can get away with it," why is that okay?
I am an old, old guy and one of the things that I am most sensitive about is the statement "he looks and calls like an old timey referee". So, I go to camp EVERY summer and try to adopt all the current philosophies deemed important by those clinicians. I try to stay current and that includes things like shirts, pants, shoes, whistles. I believe the more current your assignor the more closely you can emulate the TV guys, regardless of rule or officials manuals.