The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Continuation in the act of shooting

According to FIBA rules, when does the act of shooting end? Once the ball leaves the shooter's hand or is the shooter allowed a "follow through" on his shot?FIBA rules state that the continuous act of shooting ends when the ball leaves the players hand "OR" if an entirely new act of shooting begins (pump fake). So my original question has specifically to do with the "follow through" of the hand motion after the ball has left the hand. My understanding is that the NBA considers the hand motion immediately after taking the shot as part of the continuous movement of the shot while FIBA does not recognize the "follow through" as part of the continuous movement.

Last edited by Russman; Mon Jan 30, 2017 at 03:22am. Reason: clarification of the issue
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 12:32pm
High Five Master

Oh god....not another continuation thread. And I don't know fiba rules but I would assume normal movements until shooter returns to floor would still be considered in the act of shooting
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 12:54pm
AremRed

It's literally right there in the rulebook

The act of shooting:
  • Begins when the player starts the continuous movement normally preceding the release of the ball and, in the judgement of an official, he has started an attempt to score by throwing, tapping or dunking the ball towards the opponents' basket.
  • Ends when the ball has left the player’s hand(s) and, in the case of an airborne shooter, both feet have returned to the floor.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 04:53pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russman View Post
According to FIBA rules, when does the act of shooting end? Once the ball leaves the shooter's hand or is the shooter allowed a "follow through" on his shot?
Russman, welcome to the forum. There are a few FIBA officials here but the focus is in USA highschool and college rules.