The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Downgrading Fouls (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102151-downgrading-fouls.html)

BryanV21 Sun Jan 22, 2017 07:25pm

Downgrading Fouls

I can't find my official's manual, and I can't find the answer in the rule book. Is downgrading a foul (say, going from intentional to a "normal" shooting foul) allowed?

VaTerp Sun Jan 22, 2017 07:57pm

Rule 2-3

just another ref Sun Jan 22, 2017 08:52pm

At what point are you talking about making the downgrade? You anticipate a huge crash, and think to yourself this is about to be excessive contact. The crash happens, and you make the X, at the same time realizing that the crash wasn't nearly as bad as you thought. Report the common foul. Certainly not your finest moment, but in the overall scheme of things, not that big of a deal.

bob jenkins Sun Jan 22, 2017 09:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 998127)
I can't find my official's manual, and I can't find the answer in the rule book. Is downgrading a foul (say, going from intentional to a "normal" shooting foul) allowed?

Are you talking NCAA with a monitor review?

After a call has been made, determine if a flagrant 1 or 2 personal
foul, a flagrant 2 contact technical foul, or a contact dead ball
technical foul occurred. When it is determined that a flagrant 2
personal or flagrant 2 contact technical foul did not occur but
a flagrant 1 personal foul or contact dead ball technical foul or
common foul did occur, those fouls shall be penalized accordingly
However, no other infractions may be penalized. When the review
discloses, by indisputable evidence, that there was no contact, the
foul call shall be reversed with no foul charged.
a.
When there is a foul called for contact, the officials, with a
plausible reason, may review the severity of that foul during the
dead ball period following the call. When the ball becomes live,
there shall be no review of the made call.

BryanV21 Sun Jan 22, 2017 09:05pm

I should have specified... high school.

Yes... it was me. I called an intentional foul based on the "clear and advantageous" part. I signaled "x" right away. One of my partners came up and said it shouldn't be an intentional. I decided to go to my other partner to see what he thought (sort of a tie-breaker), and he agreed against the intentional so I reported a simple shooting foul instead.

Rich Sun Jan 22, 2017 09:26pm

Only the obvious ones get a signal at the spot -- that way you can upgrade if needed -- far less awkward than downgrading one.

just another ref Sun Jan 22, 2017 09:40pm

We had a similar situation Friday. Breakaway by A1. B1, a much smaller player, came in late with no real chance to make a play. He made a big exaggerated motion as if to grab the shooter, then pulled back and there was very little, if any contact. I was the C, and had a very good look. I would have called nothing at all, but my partner, from lead, called intentional. This is not the kind of play I offer an opinion on, unless I'm asked.

Nevadaref Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 998150)
We had a similar situation Friday. Breakaway by A1. B1, a much smaller player, came in late with no real chance to make a play. He made a big exaggerated motion as if to grab the shooter, then pulled back and there was very little, if any contact. I was the C, and had a very good look. I would have called nothing at all, but my partner, from lead, called intentional. This is not the kind of play I offer an opinion on, unless I'm asked.

Agreed. If people want to make calls from poor angles and guess, then they are on their own. I won't get involved.