The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 22, 2017, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Georgia-A&M timing error

Why those 5.6 seconds were especially valuable to Georgia Bulldogs - Men's College Basketball Blog- ESPN

This is REALLY tough.

I can't say for sure whether I'd notice this in real time, especially with a frantic final sequence playing out in front of me and the "comfort" of knowing the clock had properly started.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2017, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, that is very tough. I have seen timers forget to start it before, but I've never seen the clock freeze while running. I check the clock periodically throughout the game, but, I'm not watching it every few seconds during live ball. I would have missed this also.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 22, 2017, 03:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

I only think one of the off officials would have seen this, but the play is so critical they do not take their eyes of plays like this at this point of the game. And only if the clock was in the view, which I doubt it was.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 10:29am

Assuming for the sake of argument that someone on the sideline started yelling that the clock wasn't running and the C official looked and noticed it what should be done? And let's say the C noticed it any time before the ball was passed into the post player.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 10:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

I get the outcome, but it's a bad outcome. Had the player(s) known the clock was expiring, I'm sure a shot would've been attempted earlier.

I'd almost be happier to see a rule that provided for a throw-in with 5.6 seconds left based on the ball location when the clock stopped erroneously.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I get the outcome, but it's a bad outcome. Had the player(s) known the clock was expiring, I'm sure a shot would've been attempted earlier.

I'd almost be happier to see a rule that provided for a throw-in with 5.6 seconds left based on the ball location when the clock stopped erroneously.
Why? They ran what they wanted to run, and got the attempt they were looking for. Everyone knew they started with about 10 seconds. They don't need a do-over. The fact the clock didn't run or horn went off, doesn't change what happened and doesn't change that they got their shot.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 02:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Why? They ran what they wanted to run, and got the attempt they were looking for. Everyone knew they started with about 10 seconds. They don't need a do-over. The fact the clock didn't run or horn went off, doesn't change what happened and doesn't change that they got their shot.
Their shot was unsuccessful because they got fouled. The foul and the shot were wiped off by the stopwatch at the monitor. So I'm not sure what point you are making.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is completely wrong. They didn't get what they wanted at all, they thought there was time on the clock and kept working for a better shot. The fact that the clock stopped likely changed everything.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Their shot was unsuccessful because they got fouled. The foul and the shot were wiped off by the stopwatch at the monitor. So I'm not sure what point you are making.
if the foul occured before time ran out then shoot 2. I'm saying they don't need a doover.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 04:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
if the foul occured before time ran out then shoot 2. I'm saying they don't need a doover.
Huh?

Do you know the situation?

5.6 on the clock when it stops erroneously with a live ball in play. 7 seconds later there's a shooting foul.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Huh?

Do you know the situation?

5.6 on the clock when it stops erroneously with a live ball in play. 7 seconds later there's a shooting foul.
I watched the play. From my count I had a 6 count. Maybe a bit over 6. They had the time, and they knew how much time there was. There is no "look" for a great shot under 10 seconds.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 09:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I watched the play. From my count I had a 6 count. Maybe a bit over 6. They had the time, and they knew how much time there was. There is no "look" for a great shot under 10 seconds.
You said they got the attempt they wanted. That's not true. The attempt was waved off as well as the foul that prevented the attempt from being successful.

The rules do not allow for a do-over and the officials handled the situation correctly. But saying they got the shot they wanted is 100% inaccurate because they didn't get a shot attempt.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Some errors just don't have fair solutions. This is one of them.

This result isn't fair as the players (presumably) relied on the actual clock

A do over isn't fair to the defense, who prevented Georgia from getting a shot off in the time allowed.

Basketball, like life, isn't always fair.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You said they got the attempt they wanted. That's not true. The attempt was waved off as well as the foul that prevented the attempt from being successful.

The rules do not allow for a do-over and the officials handled the situation correctly. But saying they got the shot they wanted is 100% inaccurate because they didn't get a shot attempt.
They got the shot attempt they wanted. They were just late. There are plenty of instances where shots are released AFTER time expires. The attempt they got off wouldn't have counted. But it's an attempt.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 09:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Some errors just don't have fair solutions. This is one of them.

This result isn't fair as the players (presumably) relied on the actual clock

A do over isn't fair to the defense, who prevented Georgia from getting a shot off in the time allowed.

Basketball, like life, isn't always fair.
Who knows if the defense prevented it, though?