The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Block or Charge or No Call (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102135-block-charge-no-call-video.html)

xyrph Thu Jan 19, 2017 09:49pm

Block or Charge or No Call (Video)

What are the teaching points in this clip?

As a coach, I want to know if this is called correctly so I can teach my kids.

I see legal guarding position followed by lateral movement. Who has the right to the floor space if both players arrive at the same instant?

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_o6cI_WohVY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JRutledge Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:37pm

There is no video.

Peace

Matt Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyrph (Post 997926)
What are the teaching points in this clip?

As a coach, I want to know if this is called correctly so I can teach my kids.

I see legal guarding position followed by lateral movement. Who has the right to the floor space if both players arrive at the same instant?

(iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_o6cI_WohVY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen)(/iframe)

Doesn't look like lateral movement to me.

justacoach Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:21pm

(Carry on the dribble before contact)
Definite BLOCK and I love the T's mechanics

crosscountry55 Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:54pm

Quote:

I see legal guarding position followed by lateral movement.

LGP? Yes. But the subsequent movement is decidedly toward the ball handler. To be honest it's not really close.

Quote:

Who has the right to the floor space if both players arrive at the same instant?

This question isn't relevant since the defender committed a personal foul, i.e. the defender blocked the ball handler. It's not a matter of who arrived when.

I think you're thinking of a loose ball situation where two opponents are both moving to a spot together. In this case, contact may be incidental, even if severe, if both players were legally converging without employing illegal contact.

Rich Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 997935)
(Carry on the dribble before contact)
Definite BLOCK and I love the T's mechanics

(That would be a really bad carrying call, IMO.)

This is not lateral movement.

BryanV21 Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:30am

By "lateral" movement we're not talking about the defender's right to move sideways. What that means is the defender has to move in the same direction (forwards/backwards/right/left) as the dribbler. I can't remember the exact wording in the rule book, but it may also mention speed as well.

The defender in this case indeed moves sideways, but not at all in the same direction that the ball handler is moving.

http://avcssbasketball.com/wp-conten...cking-Foul.jpg

Welpe Fri Jan 20, 2017 01:44am

Block or Charge or No Call (Video)

Let's see if this works

https://youtu.be/_o6cI_WohVY

I'm good with the block call here. She lost LGP and did not reestablish it.

And I do not have a carry.

Camron Rust Fri Jan 20, 2017 04:37am

I'm curious what people think lateral movement really is. This player was in the path and facing the opponent with 2 feet down....she had LGP.

Then she moved in a direction that was perpendicular to the direction of her opponent, even slightly towards the endline...that is lateral movement. Lateral movement is about the direction of movement, not the direction the defender is facing. Once she has LGP, the direction she faces is no longer relevant. The fact that she turned sideways to shift does not affect LGP.

That said, I still have a block because I feel that when the dribbler changed direction, she did so quick enough that the defender was no longer in her path and had to reobtain LGP...which she didn't.

BryanV21 Fri Jan 20, 2017 09:26am

Who said anything about her turning sideways? Let alone for a reason to call a block or charge?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

deecee Fri Jan 20, 2017 09:33am

block.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 20, 2017 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 997943)
By "lateral" movement we're not talking about the defender's right to move sideways. What that means is the defender has to move in the same direction (forwards/backwards/right/left) as the dribbler. I can't remember the exact wording in the rule book, but it may also mention speed as well.

Yes, that's what "lateral" means.

No, it doesn't mean what you say (especially "forward")

Speed / distance are not a consideration when guarding a player with the ball ("airborne" is a factor).

BryanV21 Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 997958)

Speed / distance are not a consideration when guarding a player with the ball ("airborne" is a factor).

I should have added the "or obliquely" part of the rule, which implies what I said.

BryanV21 Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 997958)

Btw, the "speed" thing was about how fast the dribbler is moving (which, yes, is wrong). Not about time and distance.

Zoochy Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:31am

Quote:

The defender in this case indeed moves sideways, but not at all in the same direction that the ball handler is moving.

http://avcssbasketball.com/wp-conten...cking-Foul.jpg

Nice Belt :D

bob jenkins Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 997962)
Btw, the "speed" thing was about how fast the dribbler is moving (which, yes, is wrong). Not about time and distance.

The speed of the dribbler has nothing to do with the rule.

ballgame99 Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:53am

This is a block 100/100 times. As a coaching point, I would suggest you teach that defender to move laterally in a slide to maintain her LGP. If she arrives at the point of contact facing the ballhandler (ie the ballhandler's shoulder hits the defender in the chest or close to it) you would get your player control call. But in this case the defender turns sideways in attempt to beat her to the spot and loses her LGP and never regains it.

VaTerp Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:53am

This is a CLEAR block. The defender does not maintain LGP and as a result of her movement her shoulder ends up in the path of the offensive player at the time of contact.o

Welpe Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 997947)

That said, I still have a block because I feel that when the dribbler changed direction, she did so quick enough that the defender was no longer in her path and had to reobtain LGP...which she didn't.

Agreed. Now everyone agree with me or I start deleting posts and close the thread.

Oh wait sorry, forgot where I was for a minute there.

BryanV21 Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 997964)
The speed of the dribbler has nothing to do with the rule.

Hence the "which is wrong" part of the post

Pantherdreams Fri Jan 20, 2017 01:48pm

Once you establish LGP you may move laterally to maintain LGP.

Moving laterally does not guarantee you maintain LGP.

In the case of the video the lateral movement taken by the defender changed the defense's angle and stopped the defender from facing the ball carrier and gave the dribbler an attack line that the defense no longer had LGP established for. So shoulder to shoulder contact results in a block.

If that is too convoluted.

BLOCK.

xyrph Fri Jan 20, 2017 01:49pm

Clarification

Thanks for the answers guys.

It seems that everyone is in agreement that this video portrays a block by the defender.

I truly want to understand this. My understanding (admittedly incomplete) has been that to establish LGP the defender's torso must be facing the ball handler and both feet must be on the ground. for how long, I don't know, but long enough to establish the right to the floor space, an instant.

My understanding continues that after achieving LGP the defender can move backward or laterally (but not forward toward the ball handler) and still maintain LGP.

But this notion that they cannot turn is unfamiliar to me. Are we saying that after establishing LGP that a defender cannot turn to brace for impact? Let's say that the defender did not leave her spot on the floor after establishing LGP at a particular location, but simply pivoted in place to brace for impact from a "hard-charging" ball handler, and she gets displaced from the impact (pushed backward, perhaps even thrown to the ground by the impact), this is a block, because she changed her orientation in-place?

If this is the case, please give the rule reference. I want to understand this because this is contrary to what I've always understood.

As an aside, what if we take this to the extreme? A defender is stationary in the line from the ball handler to the basket, but has her back to the defender, and the ball handler decides to dribble directly through the defender (who is facing 180 degrees from the ball handler) and displaces the defender noticeably, what is the rule here?

Thank you for your guidance.

BryanV21 Fri Jan 20, 2017 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 997971)
Once you establish LGP you may move laterally to maintain LGP.

Moving laterally does not guarantee you maintain LGP.

In the case of the video the lateral movement taken by the defender changed the defense's angle and stopped the defender from facing the ball carrier and gave the dribbler an attack line that the defense no longer had LGP established for. So shoulder to shoulder contact results in a block.

If that is too convoluted.

BLOCK.

I don't believe you have to face your opponent to maintain LGP... Just to establish.

Rob1968 Fri Jan 20, 2017 02:13pm

Notably, we continue to use the word "establish" rather than the word "obtain" LGP. Many years ago, the NFHS decided to use the latter, because the former seemed to imply a process, of indeterminate duration. The intent of the change in verbiage was to emphasize that when guarding a moving opponent with the ball, there is no time or distance factor involved.
In the play under discussion, it seems that the necessary factors of the block/charge rule result in a correct call of block.

deecee Fri Jan 20, 2017 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyrph (Post 997972)
Let's say that the defender did not leave her spot on the floor after establishing LGP at a particular location, but simply pivoted in place to brace for impact from a "hard-charging" ball handler, and she gets displaced from the impact (pushed backward, perhaps even thrown to the ground by the impact), this is a block, because she changed her orientation in-place?

As an aside, what if we take this to the extreme? A defender is stationary in the line from the ball handler to the basket, but has her back to the defender, and the ball handler decides to dribble directly through the defender (who is facing 180 degrees from the ball handler) and displaces the defender noticeably, what is the rule here?

Thank you for your guidance.

A defender is allowed to brace, "how much" is at the discretion of the officials on the floor that night. Realistically we don't want them twisting half their body, covering their head, falling, and crouching into the fetal position at the same time. Mostly all this creates MORE danger for injury than just taking the hit, landing, sliding back, and moving on.

Everyone is entitled to a spot on the floor. Your second scenario is a foul on the ball handler.

jeremy341a Fri Jan 20, 2017 02:53pm

This is not far off from a carry if it isn't one. Is this the reason that the defense is not just shy of being in position?

so cal lurker Fri Jan 20, 2017 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 997980)
This is not far off from a carry if it isn't one. Is this the reason that the defense is not just shy of being in position?

While I think that would have been called a carry back when I played, if that was called a carry today, there would be a lot of calls in the games I watch. It appears to me (from the comfort of the stands) that just as with determining when a dribble ends for determining a travel, this is a call that has swung significantly to favor offensive players.

jamesshank Fri Jan 20, 2017 06:28pm

Quote:

And I do not have a carry.
Not sure why the first two dribbles are not a carry; to me, seemed like the ball came to rest in her hand each time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rich Fri Jan 20, 2017 06:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesshank (Post 998010)
Not sure why the first two dribbles are not a carry; to me, seemed like the ball came to rest in her hand each time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Have at it if you want to cal those.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Jan 20, 2017 09:30pm

NFHS R4-S23-A3c (and the wording would be the same for NCAA Men's/Women's and FIBA) says:

After the initial legal guarding position is obtained the guard may move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, provided it is not toward the opponent when contact occurs.

Moving laterally means the paths of the defensive player and the offensive player are parallel to each other.

1) At time T0: B-32 is at point B0; W-4 is at point W0; and W-4 has obtained a LGP with respect to B32.

2) At time T1: B-32 is at point B1; W-4 is at point W1; B-32 changes her direction of movement thereby establishing a new straight line of movement called Li32 toward point B3; and W-4 changes her direction of movement thereby establishing a new straight line of movement called Li4 toward point W3.

3) B-32 moves along Li32 and W-4 moves along Li4 until they come into contact with each other at time T2. W-4 and B-32 contact each other where lines L32 and W4 intersect at point PI.

4) If the angle formed by W1-PI-B1 is equal to 0 degrees but less than or equal to 90 degrees then B-32 is responsible for the contact. If the angle formed by W1-P1-B1 is greater than 90 degrees then W-4 is responsible for the contact.

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Fri Jan 20, 2017 09:56pm

There Aren't Too Many Of Us Left ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 997963)
Nice Belt

Thank you.

BigCat Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:18am

I dont say this to be mean...but at some point you have to watch more basketball. This is a block and its not even close. You can talk about LGP all day but if you see enough basketball your not asking the question.

She may have had LGP but offense went other way. She didnt maintain it...Fact is thisisnt close.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 998025)
NFHS R4-S23-A3c (and the wording would be the same for NCAA Men's/Women's and FIBA) says:

After the initial legal guarding position is obtained the guard may move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, provided it is not toward the opponent when contact occurs.

Moving laterally means the paths of the defensive player and the offensive player are parallel to each other.

1) At time T0: B-32 is at point B0; W-4 is at point W0; and W-4 has obtained a LGP with respect to B32.

2) At time T1: B-32 is at point B1; W-4 is at point W1; B-32 changes her direction of movement thereby establishing a new straight line of movement called Li32 toward point B3; and W-4 changes her direction of movement thereby establishing a new straight line of movement called Li4 toward point W3.

3) B-32 moves along Li32 and W-4 moves along Li4 until they come into contact with each other at time T2. W-4 and B-32 contact each other where lines L32 and W4 intersect at point PI.

4) If the angle formed by W1-PI-B1 is equal to 0 degrees but less than or equal to 90 degrees then B-32 is responsible for the contact. If the angle formed by W1-P1-B1 is greater than 90 degrees then W-4 is responsible for the contact.

MTD, Sr.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 998036)
I dont say this to be mean...but at some point you have to watch more basketball. This is a block and its not even close. You can talk about LGP all day but if you see enough basketball your not asking the question.

She may have had LGP but offense went other way. She didn't maintain it...Fact is this isn't close.

Big Cat:

I do not know who you were telling to watch more basketball but I have watched more basketball, probably more than any other person on this forum: The 2016-17 season is my 46th year officiating boys'/girls' H.S. I officiated women's college basketball from 1974 to 2008, men's jr. college basketball from 1993 to 2008, and was a USA Basketball Referee from 1993 to 2003. I have officiated over 40 AAU, YBOA, and USSSA boys' and girls' national championship tournaments.

I will be the first that this play was very close to being a bang-bang play but if one referees the defense, and I were a betting man I would bet apples to oranges, that W-4 is moving obliquely away from B-32 at the moment of contact (see my post above).

I have been fortunate to have two of the foremost experts on guarding and screening (block /charge) at the H.S. level in the U.S. as personal friends: The late Ed Ferrigno of Connecticut (who was responsible for the NFHS changing the word "obtain" to "establish" in the guarding definition, and I helped him when he gave seminars on guarding and screening several times) and the immediate past national NFHS Chairman Peter Webb. I am the "bald old geezer" on this forum and I think that I am second to none with the application of the guarding and screening rules.

Just because B-32 went the other way, does not means nothing because W-4 is allowed to move to maintain her LGP. Please review NFHS 4-4-S23-3c as well as what I have posted above in red.

MTD, Sr.

BigCat Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 998040)
Big Cat:

I do not know who you were telling to watch more basketball but I have watched more basketball, probably more than any other person on this forum: The 2016-17 season is my 46th year officiating boys'/girls' H.S. I officiated women's college basketball from 1974 to 2008, men's jr. college basketball from 1993 to 2008, and was a USA Basketball Referee from 1993 to 2003. I have officiated over 40 AAU, YBOA, and USSSA boys' and girls' national championship tournaments.

I will be the first that this play was very close to being a bang-bang play but if one referees the defense, and I were a betting man I would bet apples to oranges, that W-4 is moving obliquely away from B-32 at the moment of contact (see my post above).

I have been fortunate to have two of the foremost experts on guarding and screening (block /charge) at the H.S. level in the U.S. as personal friends: The late Ed Ferrigno of Connecticut (who was responsible for the NFHS changing the word "obtain" to "establish" in the guarding definition, and I helped him when he gave seminars on guarding and screening several times) and the immediate past national NFHS Chairman Peter Webb. I am the "bald old geezer" on this forum and I think that I am second to none with the application of the guarding and screening rules.

Just because B-32 went the other way, does not means nothing because W-4 is allowed to move to maintain her LGP. Please review NFHS 4-4-S23-3c as well as what I have posted above in red.

MTD, Sr.

I was talking about the poster. However, its a block. Whether you have 1 year or 50 years in. It is not even close. You can read a written rule and try to make it so but it just isnt. And with all due respect. It isnt close, imo. Each will have to make there own decision.

Rich Sat Jan 21, 2017 01:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 998042)
I was talking about the poster. However, its a block. Whether you have 1 year or 50 years in. It is not even close. You can read a written rule and try to make it so but it just isnt. And with all due respect. It isnt close, imo. Each will have to make there own decision.

This. ^^^

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 998025)

MTD, Sr.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 998042)
I was talking about the poster. However, its a block. Whether you have 1 year or 50 years in. It is not even close. You can read a written rule and try to make it so but it just isn't. And with all due respect. It isn't close, imo. Each will have to make there own decision.

Tell me what made you judge this to be a block by W-4?

MTD, Sr.

BigCat Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 998060)

MTD, Sr.

The video. This is why I mentioned to the poster to watch more plays and see how they're called by experienced referees. I'm guessing he's reading the words in rules and seeing things like your four paragraphs earlier. Head spins.

Watch plays and see what's being called.
See earlier post 32 and Camron's.

bob jenkins Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:06am

Quote:

MTD, Sr.

As Camron said earlier-- the offensive player changed her path and the offense did not legally get into that new path.

4-23 "Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent."

JRutledge Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:50am

She was not in LGP at the time of contact by coming forward to the dribbler.

Peace

VaTerp Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:11am

With all due respect to MTD's credentials on guarding and screening I'm with Big Cat on this. This is a pretty straight forward block with the only reason I can think someone would say its at all close is b/c she gets the pass off pretty easily and watching it in slo mo. But she clearly didnt do enough to maintain LGP.

And again, with all due respect, if a coach is asking about these plays in order to "teach his players" then I would agree with the suggestion that he/she should watch more basketball.

In the videos I'm seeing posted its pretty easy to see what the better defensive fundamentals should be stressed by a coach here.

APG Sun Jan 22, 2017 08:37am

Put me in the camp of:

1.) I probably wouldn't put a whistle on the play....

But if I was mandated to:

2.) Block. Blue changes her path and the defender tries to move in an effort to maintain her position but ends up not being able to...and moves fowrad into the dribbler. Honestly it's not even close with regard to block/charge IMO.

Welpe Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 998095)
Put me in the camp of:

I think that's going to depend upon the game but I definitely see what you're saying.

Rich Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 998095)
Put me in the camp of:

But if I was mandated to:

2.) Block. Blue changes her path and the defender tries to move in an effort to maintain her position but ends up not being able to...and moves fowrad into the dribbler. Honestly it's not even close with regard to block/charge IMO.

I just don't think this is at a high enough level where I'm letting this alone. I'm assuming this is varsity ball, but...

If I don't call this block, the defensive coach is going to be in my ear wondering why it wasn't a charge. The offensive coach.......you get the picture. Just easier to call the block and move on. Especially out in the open where the defender is thrown back in this manner.

Would be nice to see the C hustle to the FTLE rather than walk towards it, though.

VaTerp Mon Jan 23, 2017 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 998187)
I just don't think this is at a high enough level where I'm letting this alone. I'm assuming this is varsity ball, but...

If I don't call this block, the defensive coach is going to be in my ear wondering why it wasn't a charge. The offensive coach.......you get the picture. Just easier to call the block and move on. Especially out in the open where the defender is thrown back in this manner.

Would be nice to see the C hustle to the FTLE rather than walk towards it, though.

Agreed. In a game with bigger, stronger, more skilled players you can pass on this.

But based on the videos, this looks like a level of play where this needs to be called.

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2017 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 997995)
While I think that would have been called a carry back when I played, if that was called a carry today, there would be a lot of calls in the games I watch. It appears to me (from the comfort of the stands) that just as with determining when a dribble ends for determining a travel, this is a call that has swung significantly to favor offensive players.

While I'm not calling this a carry, I disagree that if we started calling it we'd be calling a lot. The players would adjust fairly quickly.

It's just not something my leadership wants called that closely, so I'm not watching it that closely.

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2017 01:28pm

As for the foul: I could see either a no-call or a block. I don't see PC as an option because it's clear she's moving towards the dribbler at contact. It seems clear she got beat, because she turns to run rather than sliding to maintain LGP. It's not an aspect in the rules, but it is an optic thing that gives us a clue when watching, I think.

I'd like a no-call here, like APG, because the defender is at fault and there's no disadvantage to the offense. The ball went where it was supposed to go, the dribbler wasn't disrupted. Rich's points are valid about why to call it, too.

Let me ask the question: For those who would make this call, are you making the same call if it's a boys game?

VaTerp Mon Jan 23, 2017 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 998197)
As for the foul: I could see either a no-call or a block. I don't see PC as an option because it's clear she's moving towards the dribbler at contact. It seems clear she got beat, because she turns to run rather than sliding to maintain LGP. It's not an aspect in the rules, but it is an optic thing that gives us a clue when watching, I think.

I'd like a no-call here, like APG, because the defender is at fault and there's no disadvantage to the offense. The ball went where it was supposed to go, the dribbler wasn't disrupted. Rich's points are valid about why to call it, too.

Let me ask the question: For those who would make this call, are you making the same call if it's a boys game?

As I noted before I thought the only reason to say this was close is b/c it didnt affect her getting the pass off so I agree with all you stated above.

Would I make this call in a boy's game? Maybe. I'd like to see the whole things all the way through in real time without the slo-mo impacting my thinking.

But it depends on the level of play (in terms of speed, strength, athleticism, skill level), where we are in the game, what level of contact we've been putting whistles on, any chippiness, etc.

I always pre-game to let the players play through the marginal contact if they can (automatics notwithstanding). I can see passing on this but also don't have a real problem with calling this a block at really any level of play.

MD Longhorn Mon Jan 23, 2017 02:01pm

Quote:

MTD, Sr.

To use your terminology ... what makes me judge this to be a block is that the angle you describe is not 0 or 90. She moves TOWARD the offensive player's new path (if she didn't, there would be no contact).

JRutledge Mon Jan 23, 2017 02:03pm

Quote:

This is my position. If there is a foul to be called, then it is a block. But I can understand there clearly see why someone would not call a foul. Nothing was effected by this play. It was not even "rough" or unnecessary.

And since I do not work girls basketball, I am not likely making this call if I see the entire picture. My whistle would have likely come late and based on what I see, I probably would have passed on this. And that is from the high school level to the college level. I would have seen the same thing.

Peace

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Jan 23, 2017 02:03pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 997963)
Nice Belt :D

This must have been created in Connecticut.

Welpe Mon Jan 23, 2017 03:31pm

Quote:

It really depends if they have demonstrated they can play through this level of contact without wanting to kill each other. It goes the other way too. I've had girls games where they have both shown they want to play rougher and they're not going to go to blows over it.

Kansas Ref Mon Jan 23, 2017 03:33pm

ohhh I love the collared shirt, where can I get one?

BillyMac Mon Jan 23, 2017 05:38pm

Lord Byron Collar ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 998205)
This must have been created in Connecticut.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 998223)
I love the collared shirt, where can I get one?

As far as I know, belts are only allowed in my little corner of Connecticut, not the entire state.

And, we do not wear collared shirts in Connecticut, at least not anymore.

Kansas Ref: Try Foot Locker.

so cal lurker Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 998193)
While I'm not calling this a carry, I disagree that if we started calling it we'd be calling a lot. The players would adjust fairly quickly.

I agree with that -- my point was that the level of "carry" in that play happens routinely in games that I'm watching and is not called. (But I think it absolutely would have been called back when I played.)

#olderthanilook Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:51am

sweet college mechanics on the blocking call

Rich Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 998310)
sweet college mechanics on the blocking call

Thankfully I've never met anyone in real life that cares.

I find the hands on the hips to be a weak looking signal myself.

#olderthanilook Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 998311)
Thankfully I've never met anyone in real life that cares.

I find the hands on the hips to be a weak looking signal myself.

I have, and, I agree!

Gutierrez7 Wed Jan 25, 2017 09:58am

SECTION 7 BLOCKING, CHARGING

ART. 2 . . . Charging is illegal personal contact caused by pushing or moving into an opponent’s torso.

b. If a guard has obtained a legal guarding position, the player with the ball must get his/her head and shoulders past the torso of the defensive player. If contact occurs on the torso of the defensive player, the dribbler is responsible for the contact.

Contact appeared not to happen in the torso; therefore Blocking foul.

Bob Bball Wed Jan 25, 2017 05:29pm

This is a Block

Angle smangle! Who cares, The contact created by the defender was shoulder to shoulder! You can move laterally or back facing the ball handler. If you do that and contacted in the Torso of the defender it could result in a call against the offence.

When you turn and run and contact the offence you have changed direction and in doing so have not established a new legal guarding position. This a block and should not be passed on! The defender almost fouls down, the offence is re-routed momentarily by the contact.

I have viewed this play, or very similar, hundreds of times in both Men's and Women's College basketball as an observer and supervisor of officials. Each time I see a block not called I enter INC- Incorrect no call!

The game is basketball and blocking is illegal!

You can present discussions of angle, or argue what legal lateral movement is or is not. You can not look at that play and not see defence give up LGP and never establish it again, causing a lot of contact shoulder to shoulder. A blocking foul at every level of the game.

Yes, You can choose to pass - but that is -an INC

kelvinsmerli Wed Jan 25, 2017 06:06pm

Offense, Intentional.

Camron Rust Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bball (Post 998601)
Angle smangle! Who cares, The contact created by the defender was shoulder to shoulder! You can move laterally or back facing the ball handler. If you do that and contacted in the Torso of the defender it could result in a call against the offence.

When you turn and run and contact the offence you have changed direction and in doing so have not established a new legal guarding position. This a block and should not be passed on! The defender almost fouls down, the offence is re-routed momentarily by the contact.

Incorrect...the defender may be turned in any direction while moving after gaining LGP. As long as the defender is not moving towards the opponent at contact and stay in the opponents path, the direction the defender faces is irrelevant.

It is still a block, however, but not for the reasons you state. It is a block because she didn't stay in the path and that meant she needed a new LGP. It has nothing to do with the turn or the direction she was facing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bball (Post 998601)
I have viewed this play, or very similar, hundreds of times in both Men's and Women's College basketball as an observer and supervisor of officials. Each time I see a block not called I enter INC- Incorrect no call!

The game is basketball and blocking is illegal!

You can present discussions of angle, or argue what legal lateral movement is or is not. You can not look at that play and not see defence give up LGP and never establish it again, causing a lot of contact shoulder to shoulder. A blocking foul at every level of the game.

Yes, You can choose to pass - but that is -an INC

I would expect a college observer and supervisor to know better.

Bob Bball Thu Jan 26, 2017 09:49am

She can turn(and when she does she gives up LGP)

She can then move laterally!

What she can not do is cause contact shoulder to shoulder from what is now not a LGP as she moves laterally!

Officiating 101. you will agree. We sometimes get caught up in wording when reading what other say.

It is a foul by defence!

You, obviously chose different words and phrasing to describe the some play!

But, good for you! Like most who have posted who have viewed the play it is a foul.

Describe it as you wish, it is foul!

Camron Rust Thu Jan 26, 2017 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bball (Post 998652)
She can turn(and when she does she gives up LGP)

Officiating 101. you will agree. We sometimes get caught up in wording when reading what other say.

Again, that is incorrect...Officiating 101. This isn't a matter of words. It is just fundamentally wrong and fully inconsistent with the rules defining LGP.

Adam Thu Jan 26, 2017 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinsmerli (Post 998609)
Offense, Intentional.

Uhm, no.

Adam Thu Jan 26, 2017 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 998679)
Again, that is incorrect...Officiating 101. This isn't a matter of words. It is just fundamentally wrong and fully inconsistent with the rules defining LGP.

Exactly, and it will lead to incorrect calls on other plays.

Getting the right call for the wrong reasons is just getting lucky.

deecee Thu Jan 26, 2017 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 998695)
Exactly, and it will lead to incorrect calls on other plays.

Getting the right call for the wrong reasons is just getting lucky.

it's still right.